Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-18-2018, 09:37 AM

Default Still chasing and not finding summer whitefish Pigeon Lake

So I gave it a good try to get white fish out of Pigeon on the weekend, I just could not keep the walleye off the hooks (even a #12 Pheasant tail nymph) I was at the drop off by the PP. Should I have just gone deeper We were in 16’-20’, until the walleye disappeared? Heck I got an number of bites while I was adjusting the depth on the slip bobber

After a while I just gave up and filled my class c walleye tags, so it’s not like I did not enjoy myself, and they sure made a good supper .
Old 06-18-2018, 09:40 AM

I have never seen a whitefish at the PP drop---think more northside from what I heard. Was out there yesterday too---great day
Old 06-18-2018, 11:22 AM

What used to work at St. Anne is go on a windy day to a sandy beach area. Get into about 8 - 10 fow, anchor up, and cast a small gold Kastmaster or a # 7 Len Thomson red five of diamonds. Let it SIT ON THE BOTTOM, hop it along, and at the side of the boat let it fall in the sand a few times before slowly reeling up off bottom.

This worked VERY WELL.

Just don't have the time any more to go back to try it.

PM me and tell me how you do.

Big whites chase minnows as well.

Drewski
Old 06-18-2018, 11:39 AM

I am going to suggest the same hook as Drewski. But a different technique.
During the daytime in summer...in 20 to 35 feet of water a very slow troll. Use a long jigging action...let the hook drop 3 to 6 feet for a jig. Whites will grab the hook as the hook flutters down. Try various depths throughout water column. Works good on the great lakes. Another hook to try is the Gold Cotton Cordell C.C. Spoon. Same technique. Move shallower towards dark.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-18-2018, 03:22 PM

At sylvan I sight fish for them in 5-8’ of water on size 16&18 red and black ice cream cone chironomids. And just let them sink slow with a VERY slow retrieve. Only fast enough to keep the line tight so I can feel them. That’s on a fly rod but should work under a bobber as well. There are many ways to catch them but I find sight fishing so fun. Never fished for them anywhere but sylvan so my not be possible on other lake but I’m sure the would still come into the shallows
Old 06-18-2018, 03:37 PM

On the fly rod is Level 2

I found this New Fly Fisher episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oByVuqMK2Gs&t=1215s

How transferable would this be to bigger water I have got 2 weeks at Dory Lk SK coming up, in the spring I have seen them cruising the reed line. but that is about it.

I would assume they are shallow the standard first and last light sort of thing.

With all the evenings I have spent watching the sun set I have yet to notice any rising, at least by my cabin.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:11 PM

Aulrich, I found the same thing last year when I tried with a san juan worm - more wallies and no whites. I haven't tried since.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
On the fly rod is Level 2

I would assume they are shallow the standard first and last light sort of thing.

With all the evenings I have spent watching the sun set I have yet to notice any rising, at least by my cabin.
I find them in The shallows all day but most actively feeding morning and evening. I have heard of people catching them off the surface when they rise. I’ve seen them rising in the evenings but never tried to catch them on dry flies
Old 06-19-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
I find them in The shallows all day but most actively feeding morning and evening. I have heard of people catching them off the surface when they rise. I’ve seen them rising in the evenings but never tried to catch them on dry flies
That is interesting. I made a specific trip last October and looked into the evening hours cruising Pigeon for whites in the shallows. Zero seen. I saw small pike and that was it. Covered more than half the overall shoreline. A very uneventful day. So if they are in the shallows now, they were not last October. I might have to check that out soon...first I have to fill the wally tags
Old 06-19-2018, 02:26 PM

Like I said I’ve only fished sylvan for them so can’t speak for other lakes but would think it’s all the same. You have to be extremely quiet and slow. I stand up as im looking for them so I can see a little further. Also polorised glasses are a must. Been 2 years since I was at sylvan. All this talk makes me wanna go again but just too much water with too little time. Can’t go everywhere every year.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
Like I said I’ve only fished sylvan for them so can’t speak for other lakes but would think it’s all the same. You have to be extremely quiet and slow. I stand up as im looking for them so I can see a little further. Also polorised glasses are a must. Been 2 years since I was at sylvan. All this talk makes me wanna go again but just too much water with too little time. Can’t go everywhere every year.
Oh I've scared more than my fair share of whites in Sylvan, Talbot, Gull...etc, etc. But Pigeon, I wish I could see one to scare one!