Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-13-2009, 01:31 AM

Default This blows!

Im all set to go fishing despite the cold and now I cant go.

Heres the story why:

While driving to a christmas party I come across a bad accident with a few injuries and no help in site. I pull over to help out, end up spending roughly an hour sitting inside a vehicle with smashed out windows and no heat supporting a woman's neck while the vehicle is being cut away. Unfortunalty I did not have any warm gloves with me so I ended up with frostbite on my hands. The pins and needle feeling has lasted for the last 3 hours and I dont think it will be going away anytime soon. As much as I want to go I dont think it would be a good idea to go fishing now.

For those that do go out this weekend, post lots of pictures since I have to live vicarously through you.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-13-2009, 01:39 AM

That sucks. I hope the lady (And the others in the accident) recover. Hope you recover soon. Congrats for stopping and helping out.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:50 AM

putting your own comfort aside in the service and assistance of those in need is a noble gesture! They say Kharma is a bitch, but she may owe you a kiss on the cheeck. Good work!
Old 12-13-2009, 05:54 AM

Sucks about the frostbite, but you absolutely did the right thing...and maybe that thought will give you the warm fuzzies inside

Hope your hands are feeling better this morning and maybe you can still make it, but if you can't everybody understands, and good on you for helping out!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-13-2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Im all set to go fishing despite the cold and now I cant go.

Heres the story why:

While driving to a christmas party I come across a bad accident with a few injuries and no help in site. I pull over to help out, end up spending roughly an hour sitting inside a vehicle with smashed out windows and no heat supporting a woman's neck while the vehicle is being cut away. Unfortunalty I did not have any warm gloves with me so I ended up with frostbite on my hands. The pins and needle feeling has lasted for the last 3 hours and I dont think it will be going away anytime soon. As much as I want to go I dont think it would be a good idea to go fishing now.

For those that do go out this weekend, post lots of pictures since I have to live vicarously through you.
Dude that sucks too hear good on ya for doing the right thing. unfortunately these days few people do. Well may it bring you good karma in future endevours. If you change your mind and your fingers get some feeling back you know where we are.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:33 AM

Thank you for helping her, it could easily have been one of our loved ones, and we all owe you a debt of gratitude. Way to go man, you deserve a pat on the back and the biggest fish of the day next time you go out. Hope the hands feel better soon.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-13-2009, 08:05 AM

Thats great that you helped her out and took C-spine. As a firefighter though the fire/EMS should have replaced you before cutting the vehicle, liability and all. Good on you for stepping up! Take care of those fingers.
Salty
Old 12-13-2009, 09:03 AM

Thumbs up With Honor

I commend you for your actions. You are one of the few who would stop. I recently stopped on hwy 16 to help a fellow who had his split wheel fell off of his welding truck. I gave him contact information for a tow truck. I photographed the damage so he could send it to his insurance company. A good deed is never forgotten.
Well Done
Old 12-13-2009, 09:15 AM

Good on you, the fish will be there when the feeling comes back
G
Old 12-13-2009, 09:57 AM

How wonderful that you stopped to help, but how terrible that you're now suffering from frostbite.

You're going to have to be very careful with your hands from now on, as once this has happened it will happen much more quickly and easily from now on. I suffered frostbite on my face years ago, and my face freezes so quickly now. I got a touch of frostbite yesterday when walking to and from a shopping mall and my parked car.

Always have a pair of good, warm gloves in your truck now. Be sure to keep your hands warm when you're doing anything outside in frigid temperatures, even if it is just for a few minutes. It would also be a good idea to keep a package of chemical hand warmers in your truck: like these.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:34 PM

Thanks everyone. Hands are starting to feel better but still tingling every time I touch something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal****er cowboy View Post
Thats great that you helped her out and took C-spine. As a firefighter though the fire/EMS should have replaced you before cutting the vehicle, liability and all. Good on you for stepping up! Take care of those fingers.
Salty
They tried but given the condition of the car there was only room for one person, I was already in car and couldnt get out without letting go. They were nice enough to cover me with a blanket and let me borrow a helmet while they cut the car away though.

Quote:
Always have a pair of good, warm gloves in your truck now. Be sure to keep your hands warm when you're doing anything outside in frigid temperatures, even if it is just for a few minutes. It would also be a good idea to keep a package of chemical hand warmers in your truck: like these
I usually keep an extra pair in the truck but I needed them at work on friday and left them on my desk. I do have some of those chemical warmers in there now too.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:53 PM

Good on them for giving you the helmut and covering you up. I wasn't trying to give them s!!t. And again good on you for stopping to help, usually when we are working near roads most people don't even slow down. pee's me off. How do you like the sound of a car being cut apart around you, pretty freaky huh? I have been in quite a few under the tarp/blanket with a patient and am always thinking , "hope this goes as planned"
Makes for a good story for you!!!!
If your fingers get better let me know if you want to go out some time. I promise me and the guys will be nice to you and cook up our typical fireguys ice lunch, perogies and deer sausage
Salty
Old 12-13-2009, 02:00 PM

Thumbs up Thank you for stopping to help those in need

I do beleive that one good turn deserves another, when that will happen only the big fella knows that. Your unselfish act is one of true leadership for all outdoor enthusiasts to follow ... BRAVO!
Old 12-13-2009, 02:20 PM

It was a little freaky in there, especially when they cut the first pillar and the whole car jerked. I think my heart rate must have gone up at least 50 bpm after that. I was suprised how loud the cracking windshield was inside the car too.

Sal****er Im always up for meeting the members around here so anytime you want to head out let me know.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:35 PM

Good on you for stopping. You miss out on a couple of weeks of fishing, but that person maybe enjoys the rest of their lives because of you. So that is a good trade for both of you.
I hope I have caught all the big ones before you get out there, but don't worry I will put them back so you can catch them again.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
It was a little freaky in there, especially when they cut the first pillar and the whole car jerked. I think my heart rate must have gone up at least 50 bpm after that. I was suprised how loud the cracking windshield was inside the car too.

Sal****er Im always up for meeting the members around here so anytime you want to head out let me know.
good for you ghostguy - it's good to know theres good samaritans still out there . get those hands well - you will have tight lines.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:25 AM

Default yes kudos to you for helping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C View Post
I commend you for your actions. You are one of the few who would stop. I recently stopped on hwy 16 to help a fellow who had his split wheel fell off of his welding truck. I gave him contact information for a tow truck. I photographed the damage so he could send it to his insurance company. A good deed is never forgotten.
Well Done
yes kudos to you for helping ...

A Good Friend told me,
Wind from the East fish bite the least, Wind from the West fish bite the best...
Old 12-18-2009, 07:21 AM

So how are the hands bud?

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-18-2009, 08:54 AM

If you are ever near Calgary and need a ski instructor - I'll give you free lessons. Someone like you saved my little sisters life a few years ago, and I never got to thank them. So, Thank You.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:19 PM

Hands are ok now, still a little sensitive to the cold but alright. Im headed out tommorrow with Dan. You should come out if you can Jay. I even plan on bringing the bait this time

Thanks for the offer Winterman. If I ever ski again Ill need an instuctor, I dont know which hit the ground harder last time, me or the tree I hit
Glad someone was there to help out you sister.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Hands are ok now, still a little sensitive to the cold but alright. Im headed out tommorrow with Dan. You should come out if you can Jay. I even plan on bringing the bait this time
Can't make it out tomorrow...need to be at work since today was kind of killed with my Jeep in the shop

Good luck out there tomorrow though, don't forget to take some pics!

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams