Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-02-2008, 01:18 PM

Default Underwater spear gun fishing allowed in Alberta?

I am originally from Croatia, and back home we can suit up, and go fishing underwater with spear guns, max 2 fish per day.. etc...

I have heard about some lakes in Alberta that have big fish and I would like to get my scuba gear on and go fishing them.

What are the laws and regulations and restrictions in regards to that?
Old 11-02-2008, 01:57 PM

the 2008 fishing alberta regulations book that you can get at canadian tire well have all the info you well need..
Old 11-02-2008, 02:07 PM

its not as fun as it used to be. i havent suited up since they took pike off the list.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:44 PM
2430M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
its not as fun as it used to be. i havent suited up since they took pike off the list.
X2

From the regulations

"Spearfishing
*A special licence for spearfishing is not required. Spearfishing is allowed under the Alberta Sportfishing Licence.
*Only spears propelled by spring, elastic, compressed gas or muscular power are permitted.
*Only persons who are swimming may spearfish.
*Spears cannot be used to take trout, mountain whitefish, Arctic grayling, lake sturgeon, walleye or northern pike.
*Spearfishing is not permitted in Gods, May, Seibert, Winefred, Andrew, Gardiner and Namur lakes."

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Home/Fi...gulations.aspx
Old 11-02-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2430M View Post
X2

*Spears cannot be used to take trout, mountain whitefish, Arctic grayling, lake sturgeon, walleye or northern pike.
*Spearfishing is not permitted in Gods, May, Seibert, Winefred, Andrew, Gardiner and Namur lakes."

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Home/Fi...gulations.aspx
Hmmmm Whats left then? Lake whitefish or burbot? Or lmao Goldeye?
I have a hard time believing the intense pressures from spearfishers had any significant impact on any species.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:06 PM

with pike...it was the new size limits they put on them, not being able to measure them before a shot. Perch are still fun. But are no challenge when swimming with the fishes. Bow fishing was a hoot. gave that up too when pike were taken of the list. Used to shoot alot of whitefish in wabamun, but would never go back since after that spill.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Banned

Cool another Croatian
Old 11-02-2008, 07:23 PM

Used to do a lot of spear fishing for pike walleye and perch back in the 70's and 80's. As Bigbore said when the size limits came out it basically killed the sport.

Aim Small Miss Small
Old 11-02-2008, 07:29 PM

Wow I have never tried it but would love to now. Perch are no challenge? They are friggin frustrating little buggers with a rod. What do you use? Snorkels? And What do you use for spears? I am really interested in this.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:30 PM

I've dove in a few lakes around Alberta,

West Twin, Sylvan, Pine, Forgetmenot pond, Minnewanka, and the submarine tank in West Edmonton Mall.

I've rarely seen fish in Minni, and most of the other lakes I've dove in were too silty, except for WEM.

I don't think there are a lot of spearfishermen, so the pressue is pretty low. That being said it would be pretty tough to even get close enough to one IMO.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
Wow I have never tried it but would love to now. Perch are no challenge? They are friggin frustrating little buggers with a rod. What do you use? Snorkels? And What do you use for spears? I am really interested in this.
Bought my spear guns from "ocean sports" and "divers den" a long time ago. Don't even know if these stores are still around and if they still carry the "guns". Spring is the best time to chase them right after they spawn as they are still in the shallows, water clarity is still okay, and can be done with just simple snorkel gear. Later on in the summer, when they move into the deeper water, scuba gear makes it easier to chase after them.
For perch the "three prong" headed spear is the best choice.
Had lots of fun chasing them little buggers. On another note, you need to make sure you have a "divers flag" with you while spear fishing.

Aim Small Miss Small
Old 11-02-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post

I use a diving suit , flippers and go without the scuba gear just with snorkels. Back at home even in 5-15m depth around rocks and around the shore I can catch some nice seabass just by sneaking around rocks and shore. Sometimes Ill just dive down and fish will come to me sometimes you need to surpise them or sneak up on them around rocks. It is very fun I think and would like to try it here.

I heard about some lakes around Lethbridge that have big pike, but if pike is no longer on the list then thats a shame. I'll have to get a list of approved fish and their sizes then.

What lakes would anyone recommend that I could goto in Winter time?
Im not very familiar with seasons and restrictions as back at home they are pretty lenient on sports fishing and enthusiasts, or maybe i'll just from too small of a place for anyone to take notice...
Old 11-03-2008, 05:20 PM

Default what ever you do

don't grab any flies-wet or dry!
Sorry I couldn't resist