Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-12-2018, 09:55 PM
Banned

Default Posting pictures of Trap of the Week

Fellows I have an idea , As this is the trapping section how about having a trap of the week picture along with a bit of history behind it ,like when it came into production , who made it the inventor , the purpose etc etc. There are thousands of traps , I collected for years and it would be no problem posting a picture of a trap , it could go on for years ! Let me know hat you guys think of this ?
Old 01-13-2018, 06:25 AM

Start us off and I'll get a pic of an old muskrat trap I have .
Old 01-13-2018, 11:57 AM

I’ll pick the low hanging fruit
Trap box to hold a 120.
Came into production last year lol. Been around a long time though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A5243113-2086-43CE-96FD-8418C1DC1D44.jpg (18.7 KB, 263 views)
Old 01-13-2018, 12:03 PM

Default And a 120

120 conibear sitting in a long style marten box. This is a belisle

The original conibear bodygripper was a Canadian invention. By Frank Conibear Started manufacture in the late 1950s. That was the brand victor conibear
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 88B96202-7C7D-4F96-ABD9-9A9606B4558E.jpg (14.1 KB, 222 views)
Old 01-13-2018, 09:46 PM
Banned

If I can figure how to post pictures we will be in business!LOL
Old 01-15-2018, 06:53 PM

Here is parfleches trap

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2018, 07:26 PM
Banned

This is an original 110 Coniebear trap , It was used by Eric Collier of Risky Creek BC.in the 40,s He describes it in his book Three Against The Wilderness.
He was entrusted to test these by the government , These traps were built at Victoria marine works , and the money funded by a lady who wanted to see a better way. App 750 of this size were made , The very first trap Frank made was a bit different , I cannot find it tonight but I will . Of the very first body grips made were in Edmonton AB. only app 75 were made . they were sprung by a walk on pan !
Not the trigger , it fired both ways , , also note how the jaws swivel on a pin. Different sizes were made and all have the same trigger . apparently one was made in England and caste in a foundry , because Colliers brother worked in one . THAT would be the holy grail of body grips IF one were to find it! hope you find this informative and I want to thank H 380 for his help !
Old 01-15-2018, 07:54 PM

Default Figure 4 death fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Fellows I have an idea , As this is the trapping section how about having a trap of the week picture along with a bit of history behind it ,like when it came into production , who made it the inventor , the purpose etc etc. There are thousands of traps , I collected for years and it would be no problem posting a picture of a trap , it could go on for years ! Let me know hat you guys think of this ?
Growing up in rural nfld,i came in possession of an old trappers book,one idea caught my attention, was a figure 4 death fall,so simple three sticks notched ,large or small depending on the size of the quarry,which i used from time to time,and proved very effective--i am not sure if this is something of interest with your post ,sadly i dont have pictures,but if interested,i could provide a drawing----
Old 01-15-2018, 08:08 PM
Banned

anything to keep the ball rolling !odd and unusual traps , etc.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
This is an original 110 Coniebear trap , It was used by Eric Collier of Risky Creek BC.in the 40,s He describes it in his book Three Against The Wilderness.
He was entrusted to test these by the government , These traps were built at Victoria marine works , and the money funded by a lady who wanted to see a better way. App 750 of this size were made , The very first trap Frank made was a bit different , I cannot find it tonight but I will . Of the very first body grips made were in Edmonton AB. only app 75 were made . they were sprung by a walk on pan !
Not the trigger , it fired both ways , , also note how the jaws swivel on a pin. Different sizes were made and all have the same trigger . apparently one was made in England and caste in a foundry , because Colliers brother worked in one . THAT would be the holy grail of body grips IF one were to find it! hope you find this informative and I want to thank H 380 for his help !
Old 01-23-2018, 07:53 PM

Another trap from parfleche ..

Old 01-23-2018, 09:15 PM
Banned

Above trap of the week is a 6 inch model of the Charlie Olds of Prince George BC. Charlie made three different sizes of this trap , pictured is the six inch the next is the seven and 10 inch . They were produced by himself all by hand the purpose was to trap crows raven and owls .The trap was a clap bow type , one would open the jaws and a device at the end of the jaws would hold the jaws open , a bird would then land on the wooden trigger and get caught A very few were made and are a very collectible Canadian made trap! Thanks again to H380 for his help ! .
Old 01-24-2018, 09:45 AM

Here is one I got from my cousin years ago. Don't think its too old, and don't think its ever been used, just hang it in my man cave. I don't trap. Cept mice. hehe

Stamped

ONEIDA VICTOR
ANIMAL TRAP CO.
NIAGRA FALLS

Comments?

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-24-2018, 03:42 PM
Banned

That trap is app 1960,s they came out with a l shaped metal piece that was suppose to be used in a drowning set. Made at Niagara falls Ont , Canadian made.That would be considered in very nice condition , although a long way from being a collectible , that size has likely caught more game than any other size.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Here is one I got from my cousin years ago. Don't think its too old, and don't think its ever been used, just hang it in my man cave. I don't trap. Cept mice. hehe

Stamped

ONEIDA VICTOR
ANIMAL TRAP CO.
NIAGRA FALLS
I'm still using those in my drowning sets for muskrats. Mine are #1 stoploss though. Yes, they have caught me lots of muskrats.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
That trap is app 1960,s they came out with a l shaped metal piece that was suppose to be used in a drowning set. Made at Niagara falls Ont , Canadian made.That would be considered in very nice condition , although a long way from being a collectible , that size has likely caught more game than any other size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I'm still using those in my drowning sets for muskrats. Mine are #1 stoploss though. Yes, they have caught me lots of muskrats.
Thanks for the replys guys. Yup its just a wall hanger. Although considered putting it in my sister in laws bed. hehehe

What is that L piece of metal on the ring for?

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-24-2018, 05:51 PM
Banned

Two different types of old #1 Victor Stoploss traps that I use for muskrats on float sets. Still have strong springs and work great. Am I rich?

Old 01-29-2018, 07:25 PM

Here's my contribution..found them in an old shed here in the farm .guessing it is a muskrat body gripper

Old 01-29-2018, 07:40 PM

I haven't trapped or snared since I was a young fella, but this is a cool thread.
Please keep it going... good stuff.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:18 PM
Banned

That Oneida Killum was a trap made by Oneida community in an attempt to reach a better way and more humane manner of capturing animals , two sizes were made , Number one and number two , Made for animals the size of possums, skunk , etc etc. They quickly fell out of favor , because they actually did not perform as was told , they could be ordered in Fur Fish and game magazines and also Hunter Trader and Trapper , and Hardings magazine which was much about trapping back then , As a matter of fact if anyone has those old magazines they are collectible in fine condition Value of these Oneida Killums is in the range of $30.00 Canadian in very good condition , No rust only patina and readable at a glance stamping .
Old 01-29-2018, 09:37 PM

Thx for the info parfleche..good to know

Old 02-02-2018, 09:48 AM

Parfleches trap

Old 02-02-2018, 11:00 AM
Banned

Above is the Mohawk trap , developed in the 60,s by Canadian dept of Indian affairs. , again in an effort to find a more humane trap . The Mohawk was made in a six inch round body and a six inch square body , it is a rotating jaw trap like the conibear , a large size of ten inches was also made although app only 2500 were made , these experimental traps were distributed among more experienced trappers for evaluation . they can be found almost anywhere in trappers kits and often are mistaken for original Conibear traps. I should add they all have a small Mohawk Indian head on the trigger latch
Old 02-05-2018, 09:33 AM
Gone Hunting

Well now I wish I had not given away my old traps.
I had some the young guys might find quiet interesting.

But I'm not an historian. I don't know the history of many of the traps I had, only a general idea of when they were in use.

I had several Hawley Norton Coyote traps, several jump traps and some toothed traps. I gave that last of the real old one to a neighbor who used to post here some times until the trouble makers convinced her that it wasn't worth the bother.

I'll have a look around when I get some time. I do have a few left, I'm just not sure right now what I have or where they are at.

I do have an old square corner jaw 330 Conibear that I kept for trapping the occasional problem Beaver, what else I have I don't know for sure.

I'll post up photos when I find any, and I'll see if Kathy will let me photograph her collection, a collection I contributed several items to.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-05-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Above is the Mohawk trap , developed in the 60,s by Canadian dept of Indian affairs. , again in an effort to find a more humane trap . The Mohawk was made in a six inch round body and a six inch square body , it is a rotating jaw trap like the conibear , a large size of ten inches was also made although app only 2500 were made , these experimental traps were distributed among more experienced trappers for evaluation . they can be found almost anywhere in trappers kits and often are mistaken for original Conibear traps. I should add they all have a small Mohawk Indian head on the trigger latch
I have 2 of these about 5-6" diameter. I use them all the time for rats, wish I had more, outstanding trap in runs do to the radius. Scary to set when the trap gets icy....caught myself more than a few times.

Spruce
Old 02-05-2018, 07:20 PM

Parfleche s

Old 02-05-2018, 08:05 PM

Hangs in my man cave
Old 02-05-2018, 08:29 PM
Banned

This weeks trap is a set gun trap civil war era . it was developed by Fredrick F Reuthes Hartford Connecticut, 1857 . three models were made a single barrel a double barrel and a double barrel with a pistol grip , removable. This unit was hung in a tree and the expandable spear shaft was pushed back into the slot between the barrels and when an animal jumped up to grab the bait in its mouth the spear would slide out and the split spear would grip in the mouth and fire the percussion into the head .
Old 02-05-2018, 08:37 PM
Banned

flyguy Your trap is a Gibbs single Grip 1926 manufacture By William A Gibbs and son . it came with or without teeth . teeth look like a blade off a coarse wood saw. and about did the same to a foot !Appears to be a 1 1/2 double under spring . Gibbs manufactured Many Many traps and at one point also made a poison foot trap which I will [post at a later time.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
flyguy Your trap is a Gibbs single Grip 1926 manufacture By William A Gibbs and son . it came with or without teeth . teeth look like a blade off a coarse wood saw. and about did the same to a foot !Appears to be a 1 1/2 double under spring . Gibbs manufactured Many Many traps and at one point also made a poison foot trap which I will [post at a later time.
Got it from a guy i used to work with a bunch of years ago. the old steel framed pack and the old oval snowshoes really set off my mancave