Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
You have got to be kidding me.

The police have prioritized charging people defending their property over actual criminals.
Where have you been living? This has been happening in Canuckistan since the mid 1990's. The Crown offers the criminal immunity from prosecution, or greatly reduced charges, in exchange for their witness testimony against the property owner.
It works like this: the criminals in charge can't have the sheeple thinking they can stand up for their own rights against lesser criminals; it is not good for criminals in general.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 02-25-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Can you imagine the reaction if the jury refuses to find him guilty?
Only if the perps turn out to be FN if they are white this story will be on page 7 of the local news.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:45 AM

Anybody from AO answering Newview’s call for setting up a GoFundMe account?
Old 02-25-2018, 08:45 AM

If only everyone's friend Ralph was still around.

Or if the land owner was a better shot and an even faster reloaded.

The term "SSS" comes to mind.

If SSS happened, we all wouldn't be in this thread commenting.

But then again, it's hard to dig frozen ground.

Castle law - please bring it back

J.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:47 AM
Banned

It's sad I've never personally once heard the cops or government say to thieves to stop stealing, it's always easier to scold honest hard working property owners. The cops are always saying statements like ( lock it or lose it ), are you kidding me?. That my stuff!!!, instead the cops should say ( leave it or run the risk the property owner hurts or kills you )..... So don't steal you bunch of garbage.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Only if the perps turn out to be FN if they are white this story will be on page 7 of the local news.
Wow. I can't believe you typed what a lot of people are thinking

J.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post

J.
Lol it was on my mind....
Old 02-25-2018, 08:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Police are cautioning property owners to call them rather than "pursue or engage with suspicious individuals."

Yeah, Right. It's inevitable that there are going to be more of these. They tell me about the only way to get prompt response is to inform the cops you have a gun and will shoot if the situation in your judgement, demands it. Let them play that tape in court.

Grizz
We have this drilled into our home, phone, barricade, shotty...if the door opens after many loud verbal directions...well...not going to go running around the back forty like Rambo but will defend right to the bitter end.
I expect everyone would do the same.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-25-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post

J.
I was thinking Friend no??

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 02-25-2018, 08:54 AM

i hope this guy gets off. I believe he deserves a medal for defending his property. we need more of this in the country and maybe a few criminals will think twice. There will deffinatly be a few less criminals which I'm ok with.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:54 AM

You can bet your moccasins there'll be a well-funded GoFundMe for this guy if he needs it. People are sick of property laws that have no teeth.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
They tell me about the only way to get prompt response is to inform the cops you have a gun and will shoot if the situation in your judgement, demands it. Let them play that tape in court.
Grizz
That's an interesting approach - to Call 911, tell that that you have a firearm and will use it as a weapon if you feel that you or your families lives are threatened. That kind of puts the onus on the police to get there PDQ. I wonder how that would play out in court?

And I'm not a rural property owned plagued by crime, but if enough home-owners follow this guy's lead, it might just clog up the courts enough to put them on the 'let's not bother prosecuting them' list like the thieves and thugs seem to have found.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257Weatherby View Post
How is shooting someone running away from you 'Defending' yourself ?

As per the story.
The guy found someone ( 2 peoples ) rummaging through his car and he fired upon them while they where: 1) rummaging inside his vehicle for Md Dees Coffee stamps.
2) looking for their lost puppy.
3) threatening the Land Owner with Grave Physical Violence with holding
a Weapon ?

Don't get me wrong, I will defend myself and my family , but the bad guys will not be detained running away from the situation.
Rob
You're right! In your case they wont be detained at all!!
Old 02-25-2018, 09:16 AM
Banned

Default Offenders

As a wise man once said---"I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders"
Old 02-25-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
The article said that the Police were on scene in minutes, it didn't say how many minutes though.
If there was no shooting they probably wouldn't have come at all.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:20 AM
Banned

the argument always being made is i live so far from the rcmp that ill do what i have to and defend my property or family.

Okotoks has an rcmp division in that town. Lots of rcmp around.

Should be interesting to see how it plays out.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257Weatherby View Post
How is shooting someone running away from you 'Defending' yourself ?
Rob
A few years ago there was a pharmacy in Calgary that was being robbed. One of the perps was shot as he ran away. I believe they convinced the jury that the shooter didn't know if the perp was going out to a vehicle to grab another weapon. Ther was still a bad guy in the store at that point.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:25 AM

The article said:

The owner of the residence encountered two individuals rummaging through his vehicle(s). During the confrontation with the individuals, there were an unknown number of shots fired from a firearm. The suspects then fled the scene."

The thieves fled after the shots were fired who knows what happened homeowner could have been attacked when he found them stealing.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:26 AM

1. You can walk around on your own rural property anytime you want with a gun in your hand. If your gun is in use it is not stored...

2. Do not shoot at thieves. You will get high fives on AO for shooting thieves but you will most likely end up in jail and you may kill someone you regret for the rest of your life. Getting a high five on AO is not necessarily a good thing. There are no words for shooting an unarmed person who is not threatening you. You deserve everything thrown at you for doing such a thing.

3. Do shoot at someone who is threatening your life or anyone else's life.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
the argument always being made is i live so far from the rcmp that ill do what i have to and defend my property or family.

Okotoks has an rcmp division in that town. Lots of rcmp around.

Should be interesting to see how it plays out.
Calgary has lots of police around and it can still take 3 to 5 minutes before they arrive on scene. Try timing out 3 minutes, then wait for 5. Long long time when you have an intruder in your home and no idea what their intentions are.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:52 AM

Someone in your yard stealing is one thing. When you go outside, you start the confrontation. That is problematic. For you. Thats the time to call police.

The suspect or suspects enter your house. They start the confrontation. That is problematic for them. You are armed. You tell them to leave. They do not AND they keep coming. Now, you use your firearm. A lot.

Courts break down everything, step by step, thought by thought, and make a conclusion based on that. Most defendants are poor witnesses because they are thrown into a fluid situation and in court, are expected to recall everything as it happened. Like a video. Doesnt work like that.....Add another witness into the mix and now lawyers have the opportunity to play one against the other.

A jury, normally just regular folk, are tasked with organizing all that data, collating it, analyzing it, and then make a decision. They all have lives. Ones they probably want to get back to. Soon. They feel pressure too. Some are weak willed, some are forceful, some articulate, some are a solid C- student.

Any homeowner who shoots an intruder needs to be well coached by counsel. Repeatedly. Every coaching session videotaped. An reviewed. And analyzed for verbal and physical inconsistencies. And corrected.

Putting some poor schmuck who was victimized on the stand to be raked by another counsel, without having been coached and had it pounded into his head how he will conduct himself under scrutiny, is begging for trouble.

Or, worse yet, poorly coached.

I think that is what happens a lot.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:00 AM

Regardless of how far away they are, if the police show up in time to spread out the crime scene tape around the homeowners corpse I think the option of turning the tables and incapacitating the perp instead is to be referred to as "Plan A".

Here's a video that just hit CGN where you can see the fight still in the one fellow after he took a couple of rounds (only slight visible recoil makes me think its a .22 or .22 mag at best). Moral of this example? Carry enough gun....

One rather scary shot taken by the daughter at the perp while the wounded degenerate was wrestling her Mom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h1HRHeUEAI
Old 02-25-2018, 10:02 AM

Bottom line is until law enforcement and the courts do something to curb this situation the problem will remain. Therefore we still have to deal with it in our own ways and move on. Not neccessarily right or good but reality
Old 02-25-2018, 10:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer31 View Post
i hope this guy gets off. I believe he deserves a medal for defending his property. we need more of this in the country and maybe a few criminals will think twice. There will defiantly be a few less criminals which I'm ok with.

Home defense has become necessary in rural areas as the RCMP have become pretty well useless for prevention..... so prepare.

If you confront thieves and they don't immediately run away they are no longer just thieves. They are now threatening you, don't wait to see a weapon assume they are armed.

Castle doctrine needs to become an election issue.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
1. You can walk around on your own rural property anytime you want with a gun in your hand. If your gun is in use it is not stored...

2. Do not shoot at thieves. You will get high fives on AO for shooting thieves but you will most likely end up in jail and you may kill someone you regret for the rest of your life. Getting a high five on AO is not necessarily a good thing. There are no words for shooting an unarmed person who is not threatening you. You deserve everything thrown at you for doing such a thing.

3. Do shoot at someone who is threatening your life or anyone else's life.
Great post.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Home defense has become necessary in rural areas as the RCMP have become pretty well useless for prevention..... so prepare.

If you confront thieves and they don't immediately run away they are no longer just thieves. They are now threatening you, don't wait to see a weapon assume they are armed.

X2
Old 02-25-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post

Assume they are armed, those flat screwdrivers that they typically carry for starting Fords & opening doors can be just as lethal as a Bowie knife.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:14 AM

I say we all wait until the investigation uncovers and reveals the facts before we judge the actions of those involved.

Having said that, it's a sad sad day in Canada when one is not allowed to defend himself, his property and his family.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
Great post.
X100 and I am redneck as they come!
Old 02-25-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Someone in your yard stealing is one thing. When you go outside, you start the confrontation. That is problematic. For you. Thats the time to call police.

The suspect or suspects enter your house. They start the confrontation. That is problematic for them. You are armed. You tell them to leave. They do not AND they keep coming. Now, you use your firearm. A lot.

Courts break down everything, step by step, thought by thought, and make a conclusion based on that. Most defendants are poor witnesses because they are thrown into a fluid situation and in court, are expected to recall everything as it happened. Like a video. Doesnt work like that.....Add another witness into the mix and now lawyers have the opportunity to play one against the other.

A jury, normally just regular folk, are tasked with organizing all that data, collating it, analyzing it, and then make a decision. They all have lives. Ones they probably want to get back to. Soon. They feel pressure too. Some are weak willed, some are forceful, some articulate, some are a solid C- student.

Any homeowner who shoots an intruder needs to be well coached by counsel. Repeatedly. Every coaching session videotaped. An reviewed. And analyzed for verbal and physical inconsistencies. And corrected.

Putting some poor schmuck who was victimized on the stand to be raked by another counsel, without having been coached and had it pounded into his head how he will conduct himself under scrutiny, is begging for trouble.

Or, worse yet, poorly coached.

I think that is what happens a lot.
x2 Another problematic situation is you get killed out side your home in the robbery and who is there to protect your family in your home once this happens who may now be in greater danger cause they are now witnesses .

Like Huntinstuff said, once there in your home and will not stop go for it,you have no other choice defend a lot.I could not give a rats arrs over my truck,but I do care a lot for my family.Plus I will not want to live the rest of my days knowing I killed someone over a lousy pickup truck,right or wrong I would have to live with it,not worth the baggage .
Closed Thread