Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-03-2024, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I agree. Those older rem BDLs are great guns. Still have a couple in LH. I still have one in 7 rem mag i bought brand new back in the 70s. Was one of the first lh magnum rifles Remington produced. Remington put out, the lh in 270 and 06 a couple of years earlier. Mine was the first 7 mag, in the first shipment of lh bdl 7 mags, Remington sent to Canada. Dot at WW Arcade ordered it for me the year before. Before that, the lh choice was Savage 110. Wore out 3 of those in 300 Win Mag before the Remington came out.
They were great shooters for sure, I have a 1974 Model 700 BDL in 7mm RM with a Leica ER sitting in Talley rings, and it will cloverleaf factory Barnes 150 gr Vor-TX ammo at 100 yards. But the bolt is on the correct side.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-03-2024, 01:09 PM

Default Rifle

Harry Selby, one of Africas most famous Professional Hunters, shot left handed using right hand bolt rifles. Said he could not get used to using a left hand bolt action rifle.
I shoot a right hand bolt action, left handed, no problem.
Old 03-03-2024, 02:00 PM

Any lefty who says that has not used left handed bolt guns much. I also can’t help but blame said individuals for some of the reasons LH bolt action rifles aren’t more available

-Billy Molls
Old 03-03-2024, 02:15 PM

At one time there was almost no Left Handed rifles unless you could afford a custom built gun. In the heyday of African hunting finding a lh production gun would have been impossible. Weatherby lh came out in 1958, based on the Matheui action and Savage lh came out the same year. Before that, all lh bolts were customs or conversions. Most lh shooters shot double rifles or levers like the Savage 1899 if they could.

I learned to shoot on rh bolts but it took me no time at all to adapt to the lh when they were available to me. If you want a sense of how cumbersome shooting wrong handed is, watch a righty try to shoot a lh rifle. Off the bench pretty easy actually, some even prefer left bolt rifles for bench type competition. Off hand, not nearly the same thing.

Only lefties are in their right mind.
Old 03-03-2024, 02:52 PM

I think you are mistaken about the creed, it is made for long range predictability with moderate recoil and the 30 06 shoots flatter at hunting ranges. Even the 308 will shoot a 165 grain bullet as flat as a creed will shoot a 140 grain bullet out past 300 metres and is more powerful and efficient at hunting ranges. The 270 is a flat shooting hunting optimized cartridge
Old 03-03-2024, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxman View Post
I think you are mistaken about the creed, it is made for long range predictability with moderate recoil and the 30 06 shoots flatter at hunting ranges. Even the 308 will shoot a 165 grain bullet as flat as a creed will shoot a 140 grain bullet out past 300 metres and is more powerful and efficient at hunting ranges. The 270 is a flat shooting hunting optimized cartridge
The Creedmoor was designed to fit long higher B.C. bullets in a short action, for use in a specific shooting discipline. Trajectory wise, the 6.5CM and 30-06, are
very similar trajectory wise within 500 yards.
Old 03-04-2024, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Thanks everybody for the info.
That's a lot to think about and digest.

I wasn't a fan of the 30-06 just because I was under the belief that it wasn't as flat shooting as the 270 or 6.5 PCR.
If you're looking for flat shooting, get a 7mm Rem Mag. Way better for elk and moose than a Creedmoor, and can get 130ish grain ammo for deer.