Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-06-2007, 10:28 PM

Question Expiring POL and amnesty

My possession only license expires at the end of this month. I read about the amnesty for non registration of firearms to May of 08. If I can have in my possession a non registered firearm and not be charged, can I be charged for not having a current POL? My guns are registered.

Educate me.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:00 AM

Did they send a renewal form in the mail? I called them today and asked for a form to be sent so that I can renew mine. You need form CAFC 979.....you can get it off of the internet.

You need to renew your licence or dispose of your weapons legally before the amnesty expires. I just read that.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:19 AM

The licensing system and the registration system are two completely different issues. If your POL expires, you will illegally be in possession of your firearms. Regardless of the registration amnesty, you still need a valid PAL / POL to possess a firearm.

Also, if your POL expires you won't be able to renew it because they are no longer available. You will have to obtain a PAL if it's not renewed before it expires. To get a PAL you need to either take the CFC safety course or successfully challenge the test. A PAL will take longer than a month to get, so it's probably in your best interest to renew your POL ASAP. If it expires at the end of this month, you may already be too late to renew it.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:22 AM

If you're quick and get the course out of the way then you can phone CFC and let them know. I hope you won't have a problem. I have heard of scary stories about RCMP SWAT teams coming to your home if your POL/PAL expires and you have firearms. If you contact http://www.aheia.com/index.cfm
they can tell you when and where the next course/challenge is. I know that Wild West Shooting Range in WEM does walk in courses/challenges.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:47 AM

So what WILL happen if you do not have a valid POL/PAL anymore? And are they checking for these all the time now? Are the wardens checking or just the police?
Old 10-23-2007, 08:06 AM

A little different twist on the question. Supposing you have your PAL,but have a rifle not registered,you can't be charged under the amnesty, right? What could they possibly charge you with or what consequences could there be?
Old 10-23-2007, 08:12 AM
sheephunter

If you own or have possesion of firearms you could be charged. You need a PAL or POL to posess registered or not. Why screw with the system? The POL/PAL requirement is always going to be there even if the long gun registry is scrapped. Send in your renewal and get it over with......
Old 10-23-2007, 08:46 AM

Thanks for the info Sheephunter.

Main because I have not hunted in a few years but wanted to go out this year. It was a last minute decision and because of being busy, procrastinating, forgetting, etc I did not get the application sent in. No excuses and no ones fault but my own. I plan to get everything in order and sent in but that will obviously not result in a PAL card in time for this hunting season. That is why I asked the question. The last time I hunted a few years ago we were stopped twice by wardens but were never asked for anything other than our game license and checked to make sure we were transporting our weapons properly which we were.

So essentially I am extremely unsure if I should even venture out into the woods now this year.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:49 AM
sheephunter

Has your current one expired Pep?
Old 10-23-2007, 08:50 AM

Yes it has
Old 10-23-2007, 08:53 AM
sheephunter

Ya, you would be breaking the law if checked and people are being checked but in truth, you are breaking the law right now by having guns in your house unless there is another PAL/POL holder there. Get it sent in quickly....hate to see a guy get busted for something like that.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:02 AM

Who is checking though. Is it wardens or RCMP? I thought I read where any weapons in a vehicle can be covered by one person with a PAL as long as the other person is within arms length. Obviously in the field this would be a different situation and anyone without a PAL carrying a weapon not right next to a hunter with one would be at risk.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:07 AM
sheephunter

Any Peace officer can check and they do check.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:11 AM

Thanks for the input Sheephunter
Old 10-23-2007, 10:01 AM

I'm in the same boat Pep.
I moved so I didnt get the letter to renew my pol. That was last March.
I havent thought much about it because i thought they were to scrap this gun registry thing.
But hearing on here that even if it is scraped you will need a pal. I will sign up and get it.
Luckily I took up bow hunting this year.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:50 PM

Further to what northern Hunting Mom wrote, all it takes is someone peed off at you phoning in a tip as to your status and they may come knocking at your door. Man by Craigmyles ex disgruntled employee started all the furor in that case that still isn't over. Another case was a pet boarder who protected pets with a single shot 22. Swat teams were called in and they aren't polite. The pet boarders competition (or something to that effect) was the tipster as the rumor goes.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:31 PM

Funny I read this post yesterday and didn't give it much thought. Yet today a guy I know phoned me and he tells me he recieved a letter today telling him his POL had expired and he was to turn in his guns or give them to someone with a valid PAL. I gave him the phone number of the local Firearms Officer who he will phone in the morning. I'll update as soon as I hear what advice he is given.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:45 AM

The grim reality of what the Lieberals purpotrated when the changed the law to make us all criminals unless we have a valid licence.
The change of name for the documentation required to acquire a firearm was a nifty ploy, how many folks do you here still calling it an FAC?
It's not a Certificate any more, it is a licence now, hence the "L" in PAL or POL.
Because it is now a licence the law goes something like this it is illigal to own or other wise be in possession of a firearm unless you have a valid licence.
See we are first made criminals but given a recourse with the issuance of a licence. Nifty huh?
Dont let it bother you that the Minister through a Order in Council can revoke and or demand a re issue of all Registrations or Licences.
So in reality through a closed door manueveur or tactic which never needs to go in front of Parliment the Government of the day can revoke all our Licences or Registrations at a whim.
Kindy makes you swallow hard and then realize unless this whole law (C-68) gets scrapped we are at the whim of the next anti gun Governement..
Now if your not going out and joining a group which advocates our side of the equation ie: NFA, CSSA or similar, you are missing the point and can never be educated.

There are no absolutes