Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-14-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Boone View Post
Bow hunters are not the only problem. Mismaagement is the largest issue in deed. Land owner tags are going no where, outfitter allocations will never decline.

I have witnessed the slaughters first hand, may have even contributed. I shot a 170 mule deer in 232 during the slaughter. I did not shoot any does or small bucks though. But looking back I wish I had no part in it at all.

Just so you know I am not a deer hunter, I hunt deer. But only shoot every 3-4 years if that.
I've been within bow range of some beautiful WT and mule deer but they needed more years before harvest. I will not shoot a mid size deer with bow just because I'm using a bow.

If I wouldn't shoot it with rifle, why shoot it with bow?
Finally!!! Thank you!

If they managed the herds properly, we wouldn't be having this discussion. And that should be our first concern. We need that fixed first, because otherwise, we are just band aid fixing the problem until the next huge mis management. Then everyone loses more oppoturnity( who knows what that could be. It could be something drastic, like taking away the last 2 weeks in November for all we know).
Old 10-14-2012, 11:54 PM

I would love nothing more than a muzzy season for all species supposing it was only 3-4 days and I had to wait 10 years to be drawn.

As for being new with bow, u wood not be penalized for that.
You would just have to forfeit your rifle season to hunt with your bow.
Sorry for stating true bow hunters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
Dboone - I'm still struggling with the whole "true bow hunter" designation. Are you sayings that because I'm new to it I'm not a true bow hunter?

Plus bow hunters as I see it aren't asking for more just not to lose what they have. The only one on here asking for MORE is YOU. You already have a season to use your muzzle, it's called the general season. Lets face it muzzle loaders are for all intents and purposes just rifles now. Their effective range being 200 yards. Why on earth do we need a muzzle loader season? Is it because you don't want to compete with the highly effective rifle hunters? If that is so why do you think reducing archery hunting would be more effective than placing more limitations on rifle hunters?

Ego - you are NOT penalized because you don't bow hunt, you are simply a guy that has an opportunity before him but instead of embracing what you "have" you are trying to takeaway from others.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:58 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
Reality is SRD is seriously discussing putting a draw in place for archery season in many WMU's. Surely that could be discussed and some members can hold opinions whether you agree with them or not.

This reminds of the crossbow in archery season threads. I'd say it is better to state opinions with some reasoning behind them instead of some of these comments.

Sooner or later bow hunters are going to have to accept being part of the game management (draw system) system. I am still on their side though until real proven numbers back up the need to bring them into the draw though. SRD, do your job and get the real numbers before acting. I like the idea of having extra opportunity with extra challenge.

Some of the arguments put forth such as pitting hunters against hunters based on weapon of choice is pretty lame though.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
I would love nothing more than a muzzy season for all species supposing it was only 3-4 days and I had to wait 10 years to be drawn.

As for being new with bow, u wood not be penalized for that.
You would just have to forfeit your rifle season to hunt with your bow.
Sorry for stating true bow hunters.
Apology accepted.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:03 AM

Does anyone on here remember when mule deer was general 3 point or larger throughout the entire Province, when any 4 point mulie was considered a trophy, I do and it sucked.

I don't bow hunt but side with the bow hunters on this one until they can put some resources into actual #'s of deer and get back to real management again, the bow hunters I know take a buck about every 3 or 4 years so whats the problem with that.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
Does anyone on here remember when mule deer was general 3 point or larger throughout the entire Province, when any 4 point mulie was considered a trophy, I do and it sucked.

I don't bow hunt but side with the bow hunters on this one until they can put some resources into actual #'s of deer and get back to real management again, the bow hunters I know take a buck about every 3 or 4 years so whats the problem with that.
X2 it did suck

and

X2 thats all people want, the numbers and disclosure.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
Reality is SRD is seriously discussing putting a draw in place for archery season in many WMU's. Surely that could be discussed and some members can hold opinions whether you agree with them or not.

This reminds of the crossbow in archery season threads. I'd say it is better to state opinions with some reasoning behind them instead of some of these comments.

Sooner or later bow hunters are going to have to accept being part of the game management (draw system) system. I am still on their side though until real proven numbers back up the need to bring them into the draw though. SRD, do your job and get the real numbers before acting. I like the idea of having extra opportunity with extra challenge.

Some of the arguments put forth such as pitting hunters against hunters based on weapon of choice is pretty lame though.
Axe almost no one is fighting for there weapon here other than a few. Also dan's ideas are to change our whole system. Which is obserd. I am fighting for all hunters as we all lose if this does happen. I am not saying me me me. Land owner tags and nr tags should be the real topic after all mismanagement that has and still is going on.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Bow hunters are not the only problem. Mismaagement is the largest issue in deed. Land owner tags are going no where, outfitter allocations will never decline.

I have witnessed the slaughters first hand, may have even contributed. I shot a 170 mule deer in 232 during the slaughter. I did not shoot any does or small bucks though. But looking back I wish I had no part in it at all.

Just so you know I am not a deer hunter, I hunt deer. But only shoot every 3-4 years if that.
I've been within bow range of some beautiful WT and mule deer but they needed more years before harvest. I will not shoot a mid size deer with bow just because I'm using a bow.

If I wouldn't shoot it with rifle, why shoot it with bow?
I agree 1000% on that.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:02 AM

Pottymouth and muledeerking you both agreed that the mule deer herds are mismanaged and numbers are way down but still feel you should be able to kill one every year with your bow?
Old 10-15-2012, 09:14 AM

i haven't read every post but this may have been touched on already,isnt the answer to the problem simple? Keep the seasons the same just remove the general tags. Everybody puts in for the draw, if you get drawn you can decide if you want to bowhunt in the bowhunting season or rifle hunt in the november season. You can do what ever you want. No changing the rifle season or bow season dates.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggo View Post
Pottymouth and muledeerking you both agreed that the mule deer herds are mismanaged and numbers are way down but still feel you should be able to kill one every year with your bow?
We hunt properties you and others can't get on. Most are in the bow only zone so really? I know I can speak for both of us but we ain't just going out and shooting just any deer. If they don't meet our standards we hang out tag on the wall. You as I rifle guy probably shoot a lesser deer to fill the tag. I would not do that even if I drew my rifle tag. Yes we do rifle hunt on occasion but find it more rewarding doing it with a bow. How many does you going to go slaughter eggo??? I won't even shoot a mule doe. I know potty does not either. So really again who is doing all the killing??? Yes the guns and SRD.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:24 AM
sheephunter

As usually happens in these threads, the original intent becomes mired in crap but the facts are:

1) There is a policy in Alberta that allows resident archers to take up to 15% of the resident harvest on moose, elk and mule deer without archers being on draw even though the all weapon season is on draw. Once that 15% cap is exceeded, the WMU goes on draw for archery as well.

2) SRD examined moose and elk WMUs in the past couple years and instituted draws according to their policy and now they are looking at mule deer.

3) SRD had been collecting data for the past 10 years on the mule deer archery season and feel that statistically they have sufficient evidence to place a number of WMUs on draw.

4) SRD brought the change forward to AGMAG for discussion for 2013 regulation changes.

5) The ABA is one of the member groups of AGMAG and if this concerns you and you are not a member of the ABA, you should be. They are the archers' voice at the table.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
i haven't read every post but this may have been touched on already,isnt the answer to the problem simple? Keep the seasons the same just remove the general tags. Everybody puts in for the draw, if you get drawn you can decide if you want to bowhunt in the bowhunting season or rifle hunt in the november season. You can do what ever you want. No changing the rifle season or bow season dates.
Not the point gm. How about we play here. How about we get rid of all rifle tags for 5 years and we won't have a problem as there will be tonnes of deer all over.

Why do people want to keep fighting over this. Prove there is a true problem with bowhunters. There is no proof. Even stated by a guy that is fighting to get it changed stated it is SRD handing out to many riffle tags. Also land owner tags are getting around 2000 mule buck annual. In some zones they have higher kill rates then bow hunters an rifle hunters combined.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muledeerking View Post
We hunt properties you and others can't get on. Most are in the bow only zone so really? I know I can speak for both of us but we ain't just going out and shooting just any deer. If they don't meet our standards we hang out tag on the wall. You as I rifle guy probably shoot a lesser deer to fill the tag. I would not do that even if I drew my rifle tag. Yes we do rifle hunt on occasion but find it more rewarding doing it with a bow. How many does you going to go slaughter eggo??? I won't even shoot a mule doe. I know potty does not either. So really again who is doing all the killing??? Yes the guns and SRD.
If you hunt the bow zone that's fine no problem but alot don't. 10 percent of the bow hunters take 90 percent of the animals taken with a bow,there is guys killing bucks every year.3 years since I was drawn passed up25 bucks in 170 to 180 range came home without one.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Ding Ding Ding I sense a little common sense here to me this is how moose is for the most part and how mule dear will be.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
Ding Ding Ding I sense a little common sense here to me this is how moose is for the most part and how mule dear will be.
According to SRD it will not be. It will be like antelope and have another draw code and you can apply for both every year.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
As usually happens in these threads, the original intent becomes mired in crap but the facts are:

1) There is a policy in Alberta that allows resident archers to take up to 15% of the resident harvest on moose, elk and mule deer without archers being on draw even though the all weapon season is on draw. Once that 15% cap is exceeded, the WMU goes on draw for archery as well.

2) SRD examined moose and elk WMUs in the past couple years and instituted draws according to their policy and now they are looking at mule deer.

3) SRD had been collecting data for the past 10 years on the mule deer archery season and feel that statistically they have sufficient evidence to place a number of WMUs on draw.

4) SRD brought the change forward to AGMAG for discussion for 2013 regulation changes.

5) The ABA is one of the member groups of AGMAG and if this concerns you and you are not a member of the ABA, you should be. They are the archers' voice at the table.
I belong to an archery club in the AFGA and have no intentions joining the ABA if you have dealt with them much you would see the AFGA is a much more diversified and reasonable voice.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Not the point gm. How about we play here. How about we get rid of all rifle tags for 5 years and we won't have a problem as there will be tonnes of deer all over.

Why do people want to keep fighting over this. Prove there is a true problem with bowhunters. There is no proof. Even stated by a guy that is fighting to get it changed stated it is SRD handing out to many riffle tags. Also land owner tags are getting around 2000 mule buck annual. In some zones they have higher kill rates then bow hunters an rifle hunters combined.
I agree with you Mulie, Too many rife tags given out, its acutally kind of sad, especially in the eastern zones. Mix in the bad winter/extended hunting season gong show and now you are left with what we have now out here, Deer populations are in the tank and don't let anybody tell you any different. As far as what % bowhunters take out here, I would think it's a very small number. I cant speak for other areas as I don't know.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:40 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
I belong to an archery club in the AFGA and have no intentions joining the ABA if you have dealt with them much you would see the AFGA is a much more diversified and reasonable voice.
No reason not to belong to both.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:41 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
I agree with you Mulie, Too many rife tags given out, its acutally kind of sad, especially in the eastern zones. Mix in the bad winter/extended hunting season gong show and now you are left with what we have now out here, Deer populations are in the tank and don't let anybody tell you any different. As far as what % bowhunters take out here, I would think it's a very small number. I cant speak for other areas as I don't know.
You do realize that if they cut rifle tags back, the allowable archery harvest will be reduced accordingly.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:42 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
According to SRD it will not be. It will be like antelope and have another draw code and you can apply for both every year.
Really...according to SRD?
Old 10-15-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post

In
Thanks sheep, Bow hunters are going over 15 in some zones but they don't accept that fact. These zones need to be on a draw, not all just where there over
Old 10-15-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Than why would sheephunter refer to moose and elk when comparing mule deer instead of antalope. Please if some one could clarify this for me. I was under the impression that was just someone's personal theory.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
I will.

ANTLERED MULE DEER ARCHERY TO DRAW - AESRD

Open Link for Maps of Archery Harvest by WMU.

http://www.bowhunters.ca/files/Downl...0on%20Draw.doc

From ABA re. Mule Deer Draw Points

http://www.bowhunters.ca/files/Downl...nts%20web.docx

shows it right in walking buffalo's link sheephunter
Old 10-15-2012, 09:44 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Than why would sheephunter refer to moose and elk when comparing mule deer instead of antalope. Please if some one could clarify this for me. I was under the impression that was just someone's personal theory.
It was one of the possible options thrown out with the proposed change.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:47 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
Shows what?
Old 10-15-2012, 09:50 AM

I would rather be able to hunt the bow and rifle seasons under the same draw and that's why I would not join the ABA I am not an archery only hunter and if your not you just get ridiculed in that club
Old 10-15-2012, 09:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunted View Post
I think they should also alternate years on who gets to hunt first. This year the bow guys, next year the rifle guys. I don't see why I will never get a velvet mulie just because I use a rifle.
But this is definitely a good start.
ya because come sept 17th there are never any mule deer in velvet...

but regardless...

i'll take that trade!!! i would love to hunt the rut with my bow without being disturbed by every road hunting yahoo with a rifle
Old 10-15-2012, 09:55 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
I would rather be able to hunt the bow and rifle seasons under the same draw and that's why I would not join the ABA I am not an archery only hunter and if your not you just get ridiculed in that club
My understandiong is that only 5% of their membership are archery-only hunter. No doubt there are some guys like that everywhere. It's unfortunate that you had a bad experience. I think it's good that the archers have a dedicated voice in Alberta.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
That does not look like an ESRD site to me and looks more like a
Suggestion than a proposal to me.