Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2015, 12:37 AM

Default stomach acid? help.

Any one out there have relief for Acid Reflux throat burning? I dont get this often, but its like I drank draino.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:43 AM
Banned

Good old heartburn. Try some baking soda and water, or some apple cider vinegar.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:46 AM

A few years ago I had the good fortune of choking on some steak, the good Dr who poked it out of my throat with a camera asked me about my heartburn because she could see evidence of it on the video image. She gave me a prescription for Tecta and its been sayonara to acid reflux ever since (at least for the days I've taken it). That stuff can damage your throat something fierce.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 03-30-2015 at 12:55 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:50 AM

Get nexium or a nexium clone to control it. I suffered for years. Now I have to take it every day. If I miss I'm in trouble that night. It's a common problem. Get to your doc and get what you need. It is not fun at all.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:09 AM
Gone Hunting

This is what I use.

http://www.drugs.com/ranitidine.html

I used to get acid reflux real bad, at times I thought I was going to choke to death it was so bad. Then I started taking Ranitidine and Famotidine. I tried one then the other.

For me Ranitidine ( Zinetac )seemd to work best so after trying Famotidine a few weeks I switched to Ranitidine as my go to acid reducer. I will use Famotidine when I can't find Ranitidine but since it doesn't work as well for me I go back to Ranitidine as soon as I can get it.

I have not had a acid reflux event in many months, and then, only because I had forgot to take my medication for several days.

If I do forget or if I eat something that triggers excessive acid and need immediate relief I mix one teaspoon of baking soda in a 1/4 glass of water and drink it in one shot.
The results are very uncomfortable for a few minutes, then in less then ten minutes, total relief.

First one feels bloated. At first it is just a minor discomfort but that quickly escalates to major discomfort. Then one starts to belch, like major belching. This lasts for maybe ten minutes and with each belch one feels better till at the end, about fifteen minutes, one feels right as rain.

I wouldn't recommend trying this full strength first time. I'm not sure that would be a good idea. But I'm pretty sure starting with 1/4 teaspoon would be safe.

http://www.healthline.com/health/ger...da#HowItWorks2

Best of luck and I hope you get this under control. It is no fun, no fun at all.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-30-2015, 01:21 AM
Gone Hunting

I looked up nexium. It seems to be in the same class as the two I've tried but having no personal experience with it I'll leave it to others to comment.

I can say I think it could be as effective or maybe more effective then the ones' I've tried. I have heard nothing good or bad about the drug.

The facts sheets sugget to me that it is probably very close to the ones I know. I would try it if I couldn't find the ones I'm familure with.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-30-2015, 08:07 AM

I take prevacid for the control of heartburn/GERD. I take it everyday.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:10 AM

Like others have said soda water provides very fast relief and is very effective. after belching out the gas from the neutralization reaction. It's not good to do all the time, the stomache likes a certain PH level and when you neutralize it, it starts producing acid again. it's also not good on digestive bacteria as well.

On a side note, soda water helps keep the body healthy, an acidic body is a sick body. I drink soda water when I start to feel sick.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 03-30-2015, 08:15 AM

Default Dexillant

Never had reflux till just lately ....to many anti biotics ,NSAIDs ,
Going on wed to make sure it's not an ulcer .

Prevacid worked ok but this Dexillant 60 mg. one a day really
Works ...but diet .....no chocolate , 2 cups java max a day .
Life is over .....I have cut back on the acidy foods .
Never mind my dad I've become my Granpa .
Old 03-30-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
Get nexium or a nexium clone to control it. I suffered for years. Now I have to take it every day. If I miss I'm in trouble that night. It's a common problem. Get to your doc and get what you need. It is not fun at all.
This.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:04 AM

If it's a regular thing then I'd go with the nexium or the zantac. Stops the cells in your stomach from making as much acid.
If it's just once in a while like I get, I chew a tums and then some gaviscon, forms a foam barrier at the top of your stomach and stops the acid from backing up your food pipe.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:14 AM

May have acid reflux or GERD. First of all see your doctor. My wife is on medication for GERD and it works reasonably well. Another little trick is t drink a small amount of pickle juice every day.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:19 AM

I don't know if this is in the cards and it has alot of others benefits, but the only thing that keeps me from heartburn and acid reflux is 4 cardios of 30 minutes per week.

I stop working out and heartburn returns within a week. But if I work out I can eat whatever I want without consequence.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:09 AM

Just as a precaution please have your heart checked out. Sometimes what you think is acid reflux can be a symptom of heart related concerns. When I had a heart attack it presented in my throat and others I know have had what they thought was acid reflux. I wish you well.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-30-2015, 11:09 AM

X2 on tecta I can eat anything when I take it
Old 03-30-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson12 View Post
If it's a regular thing then I'd go with the nexium or the zantac. Stops the cells in your stomach from making as much acid.
If it's just once in a while like I get, I chew a tums and then some gaviscon, forms a foam barrier at the top of your stomach and stops the acid from backing up your food pipe.
x2 on the Gaviscon. I only have this problem once in a while and the Gaviscon does the trick for me.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:57 AM

Had that very problem.

You can consume dozens of shelf products and home remedies until you turn blue in the face. Not until you eliminate the source of the problem will you be happy. First you need to determine when the problem arises, what did you eat and when you last ate it. Coffee is the biggest culprit followed by fat, especially deep fried foods. I love coffee, I just found a coffee which didn't affect me as much - actually not at all. And I dont eat after 7:00. Theres nothing like jumping into bed and that acidy flame makes its way to your teeth.

The norm today seems to be that its easier to seek quick remedies than to change a set lifestyle. So if your happy with that first initial burning for as long as it takes you to get some Gaviscon into your system. Well............I hope you enjoyed what you ate........
Old 03-30-2015, 01:25 PM

I don't see the doctor on a regular basis (only if I've been injured) but once while I was in with my wife her doctor cornered me into a brief exam and my only issue was my chronic heartburn. I had been taking Zantac weekly if not daily for almost 20 years. His response was stop smoking and lose some weight. 65lbs down and quit cigarettes and have had maybe 3 or four instances of heartburn in 5 years (usually rum or tequila induced).
Old 03-30-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Just as a precaution please have your heart checked out. Sometimes what you think is acid reflux can be a symptom of heart related concerns. When I had a heart attack it presented in my throat and others I know have had what they thought was acid reflux. I wish you well.
Totally agree!
Old 03-30-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45-90scout View Post
Had that very problem.

You can consume dozens of shelf products and home remedies until you turn blue in the face. Not until you eliminate the source of the problem will you be happy. First you need to determine when the problem arises, what did you eat and when you last ate it. .....
Yup. Wife had to cut out caffeine, cut way back on chocolate and wine/booze.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:49 PM

Default Heartburn

My indigestion was caused by a hiatal hernia. There was no mention of surgery to correct it so I ate tums by the hands full. I finally got a doctor who gave me losec eleven yrs ago and have no problems since. I take one every other day.Piker
Old 03-30-2015, 06:10 PM

In my mild cases of acid reflux, I have found that celery has helped.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:51 PM
Banned

12 Pilsner spaced evenly throughout a 16 hour period per day works excellent until you quit.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Good old heartburn. Try some baking soda and water, or some apple cider vinegar.
I've had heartburn and acid reflux both. Big difference. Only time I get acid reflux is at night though. Have had to sleep half sitting a couple times it was so bad
Old 03-30-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
12 Pilsner spaced evenly throughout a 16 hour period per day works excellent until you quit.
Agreed, the taste of Pilsner will make you forget all other pains, it is that bad
Old 03-30-2015, 07:05 PM

i have bin on Panteloc for 5 years now,,guess the doc figured i just make to much acid... i went in and got sum pictures taken to make sure i didnt have damage in the esophagus, stomach or that flapper thing...

my sister used to tell me take apple cider viniger (Quack)
my motherinlaw told me to drink Lemon juice ( quack)...

bin a month now and im panteloc free ....i drank lemonade
( go figure)
so mother inlaw says lemon juice turnes the body alkaline witch is good for
a person ....
i asked Doctor about it and of course she says coincidence, lemon juice doesnt do that ....( cant sell meds)...
might not be for every one but worth a try ,get a doc to look inside you make sure nothings wrong in there ....
Old 03-30-2015, 07:18 PM

I used to have it daily. Doc put me on a daily dose of Nexium, never had a problem. But after a while I got sick of taking the pills. So I changed it up a bit dropped a few pounds and the acid reflux disappeared. As it turns out, I can eat pretty much anything as long as I stay below 190lbs. Not very scientific, but thats just what I've learned.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father of five View Post
X2 on tecta I can eat anything when I take it
X3 on Tecta

however, i'd try to figure out the reason... heartburn (specially if it's chronic) should be taken seriously... the reasons vary, some are psychological like stress and anxiety (which are common in today's job market) and some are physical (tight pants, eating high acid food or drink, pop, booze, ...etc)...

so, meds will get you through, but it might come back again and again if you don't take care of the root cause!
Old 03-30-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45-90scout View Post
Had that very problem.

You can consume dozens of shelf products and home remedies until you turn blue in the face. Not until you eliminate the source of the problem will you be happy. First you need to determine when the problem arises, what did you eat and when you last ate it. Coffee is the biggest culprit followed by fat, especially deep fried foods. I love coffee, I just found a coffee which didn't affect me as much - actually not at all. And I dont eat after 7:00. Theres nothing like jumping into bed and that acidy flame makes its way to your teeth.

The norm today seems to be that its easier to seek quick remedies than to change a set lifestyle. So if your happy with that first initial burning for as long as it takes you to get some Gaviscon into your system. Well............I hope you enjoyed what you ate........
well said
Old 03-30-2015, 09:45 PM

I have been on Prevacid for probably 5 years now. One a day and no heartburn. If I miss a day or two I pay for it. I have had heartburn since I was 12. I used to chew Rollaids like pez but they stopped making it in 2010. Glad I finally got a prescription. What really helps is not to eat anything before bed.