Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2021, 03:49 PM

Default Dogs last day.

Our family dog is on his last year. I am sure many of you have been threw this.
He has been a real good dog .With us and the grand kids.
We do not want to see him suffer on his last few days. What should one do !
He hates going to the vet ,and I don't want his last moments there.
Is there another method where we can have him pass at home in the city.
Is there a pill so when he sleeps he will not wake up ?
Just want to be ready for that day .

Last edited by -JR-; 10-13-2021 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-13-2021, 03:55 PM

Sad day ahead for sure.

Some of the the veterinary clinics offer in home services now. Check your local clinics and see if it is an option in your area.
Old 10-13-2021, 03:57 PM

Most of the rural vets will do a home visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2021, 03:58 PM
Banned

Google search "pet euthanasia at home edmonton"
Old 10-13-2021, 04:08 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

So sorry to hear this I would call around to see who can take care of this at your home if that is what you wish.
I too am at crossroads with my lab as she hates the vet so we will source out at vet to have it done here at her home…..comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-13-2021, 04:12 PM

First off, I'm sorry to hear about the hard decision you're making.
I have been guilt of letting a dog go through more pain then needed by trying to postpone the pain for myself.

The last one I had to put down I took to the vet (On Christmas day) thinking they would be able to save him, he hated the vet. I stayed there while they did it and the vet was amazing and told me I wasn't the first guy she had seen bawl uncontrollably. If I had known they were going to put him down I would have saved the stress for him and just had the vet come out to our place.

My sister has had the vet come out a couple of times to put her dogs down and I will try to go this route. The vet that she had do this played with the dog and let it get used to her. They sat on a blanket in the yard and kept the dog calm after saying their goodbyes. The shot was given, the dog fell asleep, passed peacefully and the vet took the dog to be cremated.

this is the route I am going to try next.

I'm sitting in my office at work getting choked up just talking about this.
Old 10-13-2021, 04:17 PM

I think any outdoorsman has at one time or another been to the same place in which you are at.
I cannot stress enough to NOT go through with this at home with family! Some things are best left at the vets clinic. A very good friend of mine did the same thing and his wife is had major issues after this at home. This is not the first time I have heard of this, watching a family member die is not for everyone and once started it’s to late to turn back.
The family in question ended there marriage, although there was more to it then just putting the dog down at home but it played a big part.
Old 10-13-2021, 04:21 PM
AO Sponsor

I am going through this myself right now and feel your pain. I am 10 minutes away from heading to the vet to get the final verdict on how bad things are and if now is the moment or can we keep him happy and comfortable for a bit longer. He is okay with going to the vet as my daughter works there so it is not a place of anxiety for him, but I would feel much better outside my home in the the forest that surrounds my house rather than in the clinical environment of the vet. Such a tough pile of crap to deal with no matter...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 10-13-2021, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
I'm sitting in my office at work getting choked up just talking about this.
Dammit. Now me too.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Our lab is 12 and his back end doesn't work. He's still happy, but it's coming soon. He's sitting at my feet right now doing the stare down for supper for the last 15 minutes.

I believe I will go with the home visit vet because I will be inconsolable.

Before we got our lab, we had a foster puppy that survived distemper. Problem was that he was left with permanent neurological damage and twitched so bad he couldn't sleep. Poor thing was playing and happy when we did the deed and then he was gone. Only had the foster puppy for about 6 weeks but there was no treatment to improve things. In that instance we used the McKnight vet clinic. They have a room where there is an exterior door so you can leave directly without having to be a hot mess and have strangers see you bawling through the lobby.

I feel for ya. I'm probably going to be more broken than with family that has passed away.
Old 10-13-2021, 04:45 PM

That's a real tough one, few years back our old border collie became aggressive with small children. Hardest thing I've had to do. Took him for one last long walk at a friend's farm. Off we went me, my dog, and my rifle. Tearing up thinking about that day.
Old 10-13-2021, 04:53 PM

I had to put my 14 year old border collie down last fall. Went for a ride in the sxs and a short walk through the cows, which were his two favorite activities. Pat on the head and a 17 HMR through the brain. Was tough to do but I didn't want him suffering any anxiety during a vet visit and needles, I wanted to make sure it was done right and instant, and no chemicals to worry about when I buried him. The scene from Of Mice and Men when the old man cried after asking someone else to put down his dog has stuck with me since I was a kid. I realize that I'm luckier than most as I have some land to carry out the deed and a spot under a big spruce tree to bury him.

It will be a year in two weeks. He was the best cow dog I ever owned and I sure miss him.

Gerry Burnie
Old 10-13-2021, 04:57 PM

I recently went through this in early spring. I took her in to a rural vet outside of Edmonton, they gave her a shot while we sat out on the tailgate together and just kept telling her what a good dog she was. She grew quite calm, eventually fell asleep, and that is when they took her inside for the rest. Still hurts thinking about it...
Old 10-13-2021, 05:06 PM

It certainly is the hardest part of being a pet owner. I have an almost 17 year old sweet heart of a dog that will face this somewhat soon I am sure but for now she is doing great. When possible and not in an emergency situation we arranged for the vet to come to our home. The dog gets to fall asleep on her bed surrounded by family, I found it easier on myself too. A much better environment.
I feel your pain and I am sorry for your tough decision.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 10-13-2021, 05:11 PM

So sorry to hear about your dog man! Went thru this 2 years ago….
As many already mentioned, there are a few vets that will come out to your house for one final visit.
Old 10-13-2021, 05:46 PM

Thank you all for posting your thoughts and experiences. One of our dogs is 12 and most cockapoos don’t live much longer. She has been an exceptional dog. Goes with us everywhere. Swims, fetches anything and hates the sound of guns.

I had no idea about a vet coming to the home to help with the end. Thanks.
Old 10-13-2021, 05:56 PM

Worst day of a pet owners life and worst part of owning a pet! I cringe the day comes when it’s time for mine to pass on. Best wishes to you during this tough time!
Old 10-13-2021, 06:00 PM

My prayers are with all. Just going on a year now since we put our little buddy down.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:06 PM

Default Condolences

As stated by everyone, very sorry to hear that you are dealing with this.
We took our lab to the vet in Okotoks and she came out to our truck, our dog was on the rear seat. The vet was excellent, very compassionate and respectful. Our dog was put down there. We brought Sadie back to our cabin, her grave was already prepared. They offered a variety of services, a print of her paws, cremation, etc. It was just a comfort that they were so professional.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:09 PM

Just went thru it a week ago with my little pal. He totally used his body up. He was a day away from dying. The vet was kind. I just sat nose to nose with my little pal until he died. Very peaceful and respectful. Calm. Quick. I hope I get that kind of care when its my time.

God really screwed up when he determined the life span of a dog. REALLY screwed up.....

I know your thoughts and feelings and I sympathize. Any decision you make is the right one
Old 10-13-2021, 06:10 PM

So sorry to hear. Going to be there ourselves soon enough. Toughest part of having a dog???? Saying goodbye! Best of luck!
Old 10-13-2021, 07:15 PM

Oh Man...

I know exactly how you feel, along with the other AO members that shared their respectful experiences .

Been there done that a few times.

Your best buddy deserves the best way to go to dog heaven when the day comes.

It is tough, I know. But when the times come, has to happen.

My sympathy my friend...
Old 10-13-2021, 08:36 PM

Lots of good friends lost. We miss our big husky lab. The boss had him for 14 years. He was shutting down fast. He could barely get his big self up. But every day getting home from work I would hear that big bugger jump off of either our bed, or the couch (not allowed on) Then he'd lay on the floor like nothing happened. "I can feel the warm spot you ******" I'd tell him.

My condolences.

Huntinstuff is right with their short lifespans.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:41 PM

I am so sorry for all you guys’ pain. Only words I can think of are bad swear words. This thread is a kick in the nuts to even read.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:07 PM

How does that saying go....

A dog will give you some of the best days of your life... and one of the worst
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" 1935-Adolf Hitler
Old 10-13-2021, 10:01 PM

We are going through the same thing, earlier this summer I thought our 14 year old was at the end , as her back end was wobbly, we took her to the vet and she got some pills that made her feel better.
She has really bad arthritis so she takes pills for that.
She still wags her tail and is still in the kitchen waiting for something that might drop on the floor.
I’m pretty sure she will let us when her time is up, but we are prepared for it for now.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:13 PM

When one of my pets were at their end of a happy life… I had a good cry. Bad day. Thoughts are with you and your family. They aren’t just pets to many… they are family.

It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-13-2021, 10:31 PM

I've lost a few good animals in my life too. I've had to put most of them down myself.

I've always found it harder to put down a working dog that was a good partner than putting down a pet. Dunno why.

Strange that I don't keep pets anymore.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:35 AM

It's the hardest part of owning dogs.

The last dog I had put down was in the back seat of the car. We went to the vet and he came out to the car.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:06 AM

Default Dogs last day

This is so absolutely heart wrenching to hear about this. My eyes are tearing up just reading all of this. My lab is getting up there in age, and I know that one day I will be in your boots. The only bad thing about dogs is that they don’t live long enough. Know that it lived a loving life, and always have it in your memories.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:21 AM

They're called Man's best friends for a reason. They give you many many many great days and one gut-wrenching one...that goes on forever.

When Tomorrow starts without Me.

When tomorrow starts without me.
And I'm not there to see;
The sun will rise and find your eyes
All filled with tears for me.

I know how much you loved me.
As much as I love you,
And each time that you think of me.
I know you'll miss me too.

But when tomorrow starts without me
Please try to understand,
That an angel came and called my name