Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-21-2024, 07:14 AM

Default Anschutz 1710 HB Classic

Figured this would make a good thread.

Just found a GREAT deal on a almost brand new 1710 HB, Classic hunter stock, 23" barrel, $1,800 Canadian, including a DIP 25 MOA rail. Can't wait to get that out to the range and try it out. Sure wish they made 54 repeaters in LH, but this will work fine for targets and gophers.

Model:
1710 D HB Walnut Classic
Total length: 103.3 cm (40.7 in)

Receiver:
Material: Steel
Finish: Blued

Trigger:
Type: Single stage trigger
Safety: Sliding safety catch on the right side
Trigger Weight, Adjusted To: 1000 g (35.2 oz /2.2 lbs)
Trigger Weight Adjustment Range: 800-1100 g (1.76 – 2.42 lbs)

Barrel:
Material: Steel
Finish: Blued
Caliber: .22 LR
Number of grooves: 8
Barrel version: Heavy
Barrel thread: N/A
Muzzle diameter: 21mm (.83 in)
Barrel length: 584 mm (23 in)

Stock:
Stock type: Classic
Length of stock: 745 (29.3 in)
Length of pull: 360mm (14 in)
Weight: 800g (28.2 oz)
Material: Walnut
Stock color: Natural
Stock finish: Oiled
Butt plate: Black Synthetic butt plate

Had the new rifle out at the range yesterday. It shoots every bit as good as it looks. Perfect feeding and extraction over 300 rounds. Tested some of less expensive ammo, shoots my favourite gopher load, Winchester X-Pert HV 36 grain Hollow points into about .5 at 50 yards. You get the odd flyer of course as this is NOT target ammo but it sure wacks gophers good, much better effect with the large hollow point than solids. Champion HV solids, SK Plus, Eley Match and of course Tennex, all make little ragged holes at 50 yards, just like it aught to. Like always, as you go up in price, the number of flyers goes way down. Very happy with the new gopher gun.

It always surprises me how much stuff can be out of alignment. I mounted a Zeiss 6.5x20x50 scope with exposed target turrets on a 25 MOA DIP rail on a Anschutz 1710 HB classic. Did a quick look through the bore, bore sight, was within a half inch of POA at 25 yards on the first shot. Made the adjustments. Spot on, proceeded to do ammo testing as this is a new rifle I am working on.

When I got to moving the Turret dials on the scope to get the zero aligned to the witness marks, I realised I only had 4 minutes of right windage adjustment left. I have never seen an Anschutz where the dovetail or the tapped screw mounts aren't PERFECTLY aligned and this one was too so I assumed the rail was out a bit. Took the rings off and put on a set of Burris Signature Zees intending to use the plastic offset inserts to correct the windage. Mounted it with the zero offset inserts to check and see what insert I would need to use. Much to my surprise, scope is now just about perfectly centred on the windage adjustments after bore sighting with the laser at 15 yards.

So long story short, the rings were the issue, even though I can't see it visually. Being it was out by less than 20 MOA and 20 MOA is not a lot, it is about .020 at the gun, it means it is quite hard to see 2/100s of an inch outage on the rings. Rifles and the gear that we use on them has to be made to very precise tolerances or stuff isn't going to work right.
Old 02-21-2024, 07:21 AM

Had the rifle out to the range for the second time. The Burris rings do have the scope almost perfectly centred now. Also did some shooting at 100 yards this time. Even with inexpensive Xpert HV HP 36 grain ammo, it would reliably hold 5 shots just over an inch at 100 yards, excepting the odd flyer. I could actually hear the difference in the report on the flyers.

With SK Plus and Tennex, it easily held under an inch, no flyers. With Tennex up to 28 bucks a box, it is testing or serious competition ammo only. I have a supply of Federal Champion that shoots almost as tight as Tennex and costs $4 a box, and the SK Plus when I bought it was only $5.50 a box. The Champion, while more accurate than the Xpert are 40 grain solid point lead. The large hollow point on the High Velocity Winchester works WAY better on gophers.

Last edited by Dean2; 02-21-2024 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-21-2024, 07:44 AM

I ran Talleys on all of my Anschutz rifles, and never an issue. I bought two cases of Standard Plus way back when they were $490 a case, and then I bought another case from a friend, and still have over a case left, and they do very well at 50m, but the SK Long Range tend to be more consistent at 100m, in my rifles. I bought a case when they were still under $1000, but I am down to about half a case, and SK have been scarce lately. Both the Standard Plus and Long Range are consistently under moa at 100m, but I have only achieved sub 1/2moa at 100m with the Long Range, and that doesn't happen often.
Old 02-21-2024, 08:24 AM

Nice rifle! Think I'm jealous!!
Old 02-21-2024, 10:46 AM

Elk

Interesting about the SK Long range. If I see some I will pick it up to try. What I would love to find is a hollow point high velocity that hits as hard as the Xpert but is more accurate with fewer fliers.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:42 AM

Try the Eley High Velocity Hollow Point rounds. I have used them in one of my CZ 457's and they have been extremely accurate in that particular rifle.
Old 02-21-2024, 12:35 PM

I have been shooting the SK High Velocity hollow points out of my CZ 455 varmint as well as my Christensen Arms Ranger they are very accurate, 40gr HP @ 1263 Fps They really slap gophers, I have 1 brick left, the last time I bought them was 3 or 4 years ago and at that time they were $76 / brick, I bought that last 3 bricks in stock and haven't seen them since.
SK.jpg

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-21-2024, 12:56 PM

If you guys are looking for SK ammo check with Brent at Neerlandia Co-op
Old 02-21-2024, 08:53 PM

Now you have me scanning the pastures looking for gophers. Good idea for a thread, be fun to watch what ammo the gun likes best!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 02-21-2024, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
If you guys are looking for SK ammo check with Brent at Neerlandia Co-op
Thanks, will call him in the morning.
Old 02-22-2024, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Thanks, will call him in the morning.
I am told all SK dealers will be receiving shipments in the next week or so.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I am told all SK dealers will be receiving shipments in the next week or so.
Thanks for the heads up. Will check local so I can avoid shipping.
Old 02-22-2024, 10:32 AM

Thought You guys might find this interesting. Very extensive test of 22RF ammo. I find it interesting that Winchester Super X out scored SK plus and SK hollow point at 50, 75 and 100 yards, by a large margin actually. The SK high Velocity however shot a lot better than the other SK ammo, which matches what Elk11 said he found.The link to the targets is also neat.

https://www.accurateshooter.com/guns...mparison-test/

Last edited by Dean2; 02-22-2024 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-22-2024, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Thought You guys might find this interesting. Very extensive test of 22RF ammo. I find it interesting that Winchester Super X out scored SK plus and SK hollow point at 50, 75 and 100 yards, by a large margin actually. The SK high Velocity however shot a lot better than the other SK ammo, which matches what Elk11 said he found.The link to the targets is also neat.

https://www.accurateshooter.com/guns...mparison-test/

I have also discovered, that some lots of Standard Plus have been much better than others, and which shoots best, depends a great deal on the rifle. My Volquartsen much preferred an RWS load, , but the SK Standard Plus did better in my Anschutz rifles. My Vudoo shoots the Standard Plus and Long Range about the same at 50m, but the Long Range are much more consistent at 100m. None of my rifles shot the Standard Plus as badly as the
groups they got in the test posted above. Even my CZ rifles did better with the Standard Plus.
Old 02-22-2024, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have also discovered, that some lots of Standard Plus have been much better than others, and which shoots best, depends a great deal on the rifle. My Volquartsen much preferred an RWS load, , but the SK Standard Plus did better in my Anschutz rifles. My Vudoo shoots the Standard Plus and Long Range about the same at 50m, but the Long Range are much more consistent at 100m. None of my rifles shot the Standard Plus as badly as the
groups they got in the test posted above. Even my CZ rifles did better with the Standard Plus.
I agree on the Standard Plus. My Anschutz rifles, CZ sporters and even A savage I have, all shoot the three different batches of Plus really well. Much better groups than the test showed. Tells you just how batch and rifle sensitive ALL 22RF is. I typically buy a couple of boxes and test them before buying a large quantity, especially stuff I want to use predominantly on targets.

To be honest, I will probably never quit shooting Xpert for gophers, even though it has a few flyers. When you are going through thousands of rounds, it is a lot easier to tolerate doing that at the much lower price. Even at today's prices, Xpert is only $45/500, any of the higher grade SK, Eley etc HV HP stuff is at least $120/500. Even a lot of the Federal HV HP is over $70/500.
Old 02-22-2024, 02:30 PM

I was at my range earlier, I knew they had quite a bit of RWS and Gecco target .22.

My goodness, it seems expensive? But I've never bought target ammo, just use whatever is cheap. I did get a couple bricks of CCI match target from a friend for $50 a brick, and it made a significant difference in my 10/22. Anyway, this is what Bullets & Broadheads has in stock.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-22-2024, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I was at my range earlier, I knew they had quite a bit of RWS and Gecco target .22.

My goodness, it seems expensive? But I've never bought target ammo, just use whatever is cheap. I did get a couple bricks of CCI match target from a friend for $50 a brick, and it made a significant difference in my 10/22. Anyway, this is what Bullets & Broadheads has in stock.

Most people have no idea how accurate their .22lr is, because they have never used even a lower end target ammunition like SK Standard Plus. A cheap .22 rifle with decent target loads, will often out shoot a high end .22 rifle with cheap bulk ammunition. And many people are shocked to have someone with a high end .22lr, and decent target loads out shoot their centerfire at 100m.
Old 02-22-2024, 03:38 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Elk

Interesting about the SK Long range. If I see some I will pick it up to try. What I would love to find is a hollow point high velocity that hits as hard as the Xpert but is more accurate with fewer fliers.
We received some today- not sure what will be left after going through the waiting list

Quote:
Even a lot of the Federal HV HP is over $70/500.

If buying by the 1375 ct bucket, they are 477.00 per 500
Old 02-22-2024, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet River View Post
We received some today- not sure what will be left after going through the waiting list

If buying by the 1375 ct bucket, they are 477.00 per 500
I just called and locked up some Long Range, there was still one brick left as of 5pm.
Old 02-22-2024, 05:47 PM

My CZ 457 is a euro model, so i've been told, because it has a 1/2x20 thread. It does better with Eley than it does with SK. It does surprisingly well with S&B Canadian Match. I had it figured out what offering that is in their world market based on the part number at one time.
It has done well by me for the PRS matches i have attended.

I have not tried a whole lot of the different higher end ammo out there, mainly due to scarcity.
Old 02-22-2024, 05:51 PM

I never saw a Anschutz or Cooper 22 that did not shoot very well.

If you bed the Anschutz receiver, it will shoot better. Anschutz do not bed their receivers. Cooper beds all their receivers.
Old 02-22-2024, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1989 View Post
I never saw a Anschutz or Cooper 22 that did not shoot very well.

If you bed the Anschutz receiver, it will shoot better. Anschutz do not bed their receivers. Cooper beds all their receivers.
My two Cooper rifles in .22lr, shot about equal to my CZ rifles. My Anschutz 54 and Fortner rifles were a step up, and my Vudoo is at least as accurate as my most accurate Anschutz rifles, but I find it easier to shoot off of the bench, because of the stock design.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:48 PM

Just some info on SK ammo. Many would already know this.

Rifle Match, Standard Plus, Pistol Match and Magazine are the same ammunition. They are loaded the same and use the same 40gr bullet. The MV is 1073fps except for the Pistol Match which has a lower stated velocity because it is intended to be shot out of a short pistol barrel.
When a run of ammo is produced, it will be tested for quality. Depending on the test results, the ammo gets packaged as Rifle Match (best), Standard Plus (mid range) or Pistol Match (3rd tier). Magazine would be the lowest level SK ammunition with this MV.

Long Range Match, Biathlon Sport and Pistol Match Special are the same ammunition. They are loaded to a slightly higher MV than the first group. These three are loaded the same and use the same 40gr bullet. The stated MV of LRM (1099) and BS(1107) are slightly different as they are shot out of different length test barrels.
Again, the result of quality testing determines if a production run of ammo is packaged as Long Range Match (best), Biathlon Sport (mid range) or Pistol Match Special (3rd tier).
Old 02-23-2024, 08:03 AM

Neerlandia Coop has no SK in stock but they do confirm they expect to receive some next week. They do not know which version(s) they will receive. P&D, no SK and whoever I talked to did not know when they may be getting some. He did tell me P&D updates their online list of ammo every Monday or Tuesday. They do currently have a pretty good range of 22 RF ammo in stock.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:20 AM

I am just in the process of Devcon bedding this Anschutz 1710 HB. Most Anschutz are really well bedded and quite a few I have not actually glass bedded, just use them the way they came from the factory. This one however, has a very different recoil lug arrangement than any of my other Anschutz rifles. This one actually has a recoil lug similar to a Rem 700, though much smaller, rather than the tightly inset into the stock, locating lug on most 54 actions.

I find the fit of the recoil lug and the bedding in general to be too loose for my liking. I am a big fan of bedding most rifles for both accuracy and stability of the wood, not to mention resistance to compression and cracking in the inletted areas. This one already shoots really good groups so it will be interesting to see if they get even better after bedding the recoil lug area and the first .75" of the barrel/chamber area.
Old 03-01-2024, 12:50 AM

So here is the chronology of bedding the new 1710

First is a picture of the stock that has been prepared for bedding. Note the infill of the mag well, along with the Black electrical tapee barrier in front of the recoil lug, and the small holes in the recoil lug areaq for good grip by the Devcon.

Action that has the magazine retainer removed, opening taped over, any depressions filled with red Plastecine, and the second, un-buffed wax coat put on. The 5M alignment pins, that replace the standard stock bolts are also in place

This is the test fit of the action to check alignment of the locating tape ring on the barrel, stopper tape ring near the recoil lug, locator pins etc, prior to removing the scope and putting the Devcon into the stock and then setting the action into it.

Action now in stock with the Devcon in place. Note the locating tape ring near the front of the forearm, the Tape ring stopper just ahead of the recoil lug. Also, a picture of the thread joiner nuts finger tightened on the double ended threaded rods. This located the action perfectly with the bolts hole while also allowing you to put a bit of tension on the action to pull it into place. To remove the threaded rod at the 5 hour mark, and then put them back in, add a small lock nut on top of the jointer nut, and you can spin them back out. There will be some resistance due to the Devcon starting to harden so the lock nut is required.

DO NOT REMOVE the stock until at least 24 hours has passed, 48 is better. Guys get worried about the action sticking tight. After 18 hours, it is stuck already if you did not do a good job of applying release agent, or missed a mechanical lock area. If you try to pop them out before the Devcon is set hard, it is actually much harder to do and you risk creating voids in the Devcon from it sticking to the action. Once fully set, the action will pop out easily and you will have a mirror finish on the bedding.

I will post pictures of the finished interior in a couple of days when I pop the stock out.
Old 03-01-2024, 06:29 AM

It will be interesting to see if bedding improves the accuracy, my most accurate rimfire is not bedded, but it shoots so well, I just haven't bothered to bed it.
Old 03-01-2024, 12:44 PM

A couple of guys have asked why the gun would pop out easier by letting it sit longer and get harder. Devcon does not shrink very much when it cures, it is one of the reasons I use it so much. However, at 48 hours you are close to maximum shrinkage, and that tiny amount of shrink really helps with an easy and clean separation.
Old 03-02-2024, 09:09 AM

This is the bedding right after the action was removed this morning, prior to any clean up of the bedding (I did peel the piece of Electrician tape to make the picture show up better), plastecine etc. You can see how much smaller the recoil lug recess is now compared to pre-bedding, as well as how much has been filled in around it to support the barrel and action.

I actually slightly underestimated the amount of gap and got very little squeeze out when I put the action into the wet Devcon. I prefer a little more squeeze out than I got.

My bet is with this amount of fill, this gun is going to shoot quite a bit better than it already did, and it already shot pretty darn good. I have not bedded the rear tang yet, I want to see how it shoots like this.

(Starting with 30 inch pounds front screw, 25 back.)

A picture of the locator studs and the nuts to finger tension, or a tad more, the action.

Old 03-02-2024, 09:38 AM

Quote:
This is the bedding right after the action was removed this morning, prior to any clean up of the bedding (I did peel the piece of Electrician tape to make the picture show up better), plastecine etc. You can see how much smaller the recoil lug recess is now compared to pre-bedding, as well as how much has been filled in around it to support the barrel and action.

I actually slightly underestimated the amount of gap and got very little squeeze out when I put the action into the wet Devcon. I prefer a little more squeeze out than I got.

My bet is with this amount of fill, this gun is going to shoot quite a bit better than it already did, and it already shot pretty darn good. I have not bedded the rear tang yet, I want to see how it shoots like this.

(Starting with 30 inch pounds front screw, 25 back.)

A picture of the locator studs and the nuts to finger tension, or a tad more, the action.

When is test day Dean? I'm curious to see your results. And then again after the rear is completed, if that makes more of a difference or not.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk