Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2011, 08:40 PM

Default Tim Horton's coffee and migraine headaches...

Wifey gets some wicked migraines from time to time and she just recently discovered that if she drinks a Tim Hortons coffee the migraine goes away.

Yeah it sounds weird to me too...lol

Anyone else with migraines notice this?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:53 PM

coffee in general gets rid of headahces and migraines.

A lot of headaches are cuased by contricting blood vessels. Cafience dialates them and lets the blood flow through again. Which gets rid of the head aches.

Timmy's might work better if they have higher cafeine than what she is used too.

If you want a great headache/migraine remedy take a full aspirin and drink it with a BIG strong cup of coffee. The coffee helps for the reason above and the aspririn thins your blood to make it flow through your blood vessels which helps get rif of the headache.

Lots of people for the same reasons drink a coke/pepsi for headaches.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacLaBicheNS View Post
coffee in general gets rid of headahces and migraines.

A lot of headaches are cuased by contricting blood vessels. Cafience dialates them and lets the blood flow through again. Which gets rid of the head aches.

Timmy's might work better if they have higher cafeine than what she is used too.

If you want a great headache/migraine remedy take a full aspirin and drink it with a BIG strong cup of coffee. The coffee helps for the reason above and the aspririn thins your blood to make it flow through your blood vessels which helps get rif of the headache.

Lots of people for the same reasons drink a coke/pepsi for headaches.
Thanks for the info,I'll pass it along to wifey..
Old 04-28-2011, 08:57 PM

Caffeine withdrawal triggers headaches as well.

BTW paying $1.79 for an XL Double,Double gives me a Headache! I love my new Keurig Coffee maker. I have had it for 3 weeks and have not bought a Timmy's since.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post

BTW paying $1.79 for an XL Double,Double gives me a Headache! I love my new Keurig Coffee maker. I have had it for 3 weeks and have not bought a Timmy's since.
love my Keurig as well.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:

X2 on the keurig, and alot better coffee than timmies!
Old 04-28-2011, 09:01 PM

^^^^ X2 on that.

It is easy to be addicted to caffeine. The migraines could be withdrawls.I get one on weekends if I sleep in and dont have a coffee when I get up.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:10 PM

Oops sorry didn't read the thread topic good enough.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Last edited by Jwood 456; 04-28-2011 at 09:14 PM. Reason: A bit off topic
Old 04-28-2011, 11:24 PM

Timmy hoes causes me a headache and guy ache I refuse to drink that crap anymore . Ill stick to home made and a thermos .
Old 04-28-2011, 11:27 PM

Another vote for the Keurig machine. Got one as a wedding gift and now half the guests that were there have one too!

Lefty
Old 04-28-2011, 11:30 PM

Yup, a friend hooked me up with a old used Keurig and I am hooked !!! I have a new one on order from Sears and just waiting for it to come in...
And x10 on the timmies swill. that stuff is aweful if you drink coffee black.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:33 PM

Speaking of keurig coffee makers.Which brand of coffee do you prefer? I like van houtte house blend,donut house and green mountain .The only reason i drink timmies at work is that there are many locations around the city and dont have access to a coffee maker.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
Speaking of keurig coffee makers.Which brand of coffee do you prefer? I like van houtte house blend,donut house and green mountain .The only reason i drink timmies at work is that there are many locations around the city and dont have access to a coffee maker.
I really like the Van Houtte Dark Roast but I can't find it anywhere but on their website(where It's expensive) If anyone knows where I can get it for cheaper in or around Calgary,please let me know.

I buy the Columbian Excelencia by Timothy's from Costco.I get 80 cups for $38. and it's very good.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:43 AM

Tell wifey to keep a food diary for a couple of months.
Anything she eats gets written down.

Many migraine sufferer's such as myself have food triggers.
Also for me simply not following a proper schedule sets me off.

http://www.achenet.org/tools/Trigger...nformation.asp

A great Resource is CHAMP here in calgary
Here is their website.
http://www.calgaryhealthregion.ca/pr...t/headache.htm
Old 04-29-2011, 08:00 AM

I am amazed at how many headaches are caused by a weather change. That's what sets mine off. Some foods make it worse. But weather is bad.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 04-29-2011, 09:38 AM

Keurig at home, Tassimo on my desk at work... Mmmm.

Only buy Timmie's when I'm on the road and during RUTRTW season in March.

Whoops, this was about Migraines? Yep, coffee tends to keep my headaches away. Mind you, I might just be getting them from caffeine withdrawal...
Old 04-29-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Timmy hoes causes me a headache and guy ache I refuse to drink that crap anymore . Ill stick to home made and a thermos .
Only coffee thats ever given me a headache
Old 04-29-2011, 10:25 AM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

Google is your friend. Take note of the "rebound effect" of coffee as that is likely your wife's problem.

Keep Your Powder Dry,
Dave

Effects of Caffeine on the Circulatory System

Caffeine is a naturally occurring substance in tea, coffee and chocolate. It is added to soft drinks and energy drinks in addition to being available in tablet form over the counter. Caffeine is widely recognized as a brain and nervous system stimulant. It also has direct effects on the heart and circulatory system. Much biomedical research has focused on whether the circulatory effects of caffeine cause any harm; the topic remains controversial.

Increased Peripheral Blood Flow

Caffeine causes relaxation of muscle cells in the blood vessels, except those in the brain. The blood vessels relax and expand, an effect called vasodilation. During vasodilation, blood flow is increased. Vasodilation coupled with caffeine's tendency to increase heart rate may cause a temporary increase in blood pressure. The American Heart Association states that daily consumption of 1 to 2 cups of coffee per day does not cause harm in people with high blood pressure.

Decreased Cerebral Blood Flow

In contrast to its effect on peripheral blood vessels, caffeine increases muscle tone in the blood vessels of the brain. This effect is called vasoconstriction, which reduces overall blood flow to the brain. Vasoconstriction caused by caffeine can help relieve headaches. Blood vessel spasms trigger some types of headaches. During a spasm, the blood vessel clamps down, restricting blood flow. After the spasm, a rebound vasodilation occurs, which may cause headaches. By keeping the blood vessels of the head in a steady state of vasoconstriction, caffeine interrupts the cycle of spasm and vasodilation, thereby reducing headache pain. Many over-the-counter and prescription headache remedies contain caffeine.

While caffeine in medications can be useful for alleviating existing headaches, dietary caffeine may trigger headaches, especially migraines. Caffeine levels in the blood vary throughout the day according to dietary consumption. Decreasing blood caffeine may cause rebound dilation of brain blood vessels, potentially triggering a migraine headache. Many doctors advise people with migraines to avoid caffeine because of its effects on brain blood flow.

Mixed Effects on Coronary Blood Flow

Caffeine may increase blood flow through the coronary arteries because of its vasodilating effects. However, greater oxygen demands due to increased heart rate may counteract the effects of increased coronary blood flow. To date, there is no conclusive evidence that caffeine's effects on coronary blood flow provide useful benefits. However, some research suggests caffeine may have a detrimental effect on coronary blood flow in people with pre-existing coronary artery disease. In a 2009 research study published in the journal "PLoS One," Dr. Mehdi Namdar and his colleagues concluded that caffeine hindered the normal increase in coronary blood flow typically seen with exercise. The effect of caffeine on coronary blood flow is an active area of research. Definitive conclusions about whether caffeine poses any significant cardiac risks have yet to be determined.

References
"Goodman & Gilman's The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics"; Laurence L. Brunton, Ph.D., et al, Editors; 2005
American Heart Association: Caffeine and Blood Pressure
American Heart Association: AHA Recommendation on Caffeine
Journal of the American Osteopathic Association: Diagnosing and Managing Migraine Headache
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology: The Cardiovascular Effects of Regular and Decaffeinated Coffee

About this Author

Tina Andrews has been a medical writer and editor since 2000. She has published in "Cancer," "Ethnicity & Disease" and "Liver Health Today" and was formerly a medical officer with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Andrews holds a M.D. and a Bachelor of Arts in chemistry.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Man I hope that was a typo cause I really don't wanna hear about any "guy aches"........if it was a "guy ache".....thanx for not going into details BBJ

Make sure you clean those Keurig machines every once in awhile!!!!!

Timmies is the only coffee that I put cream and sugar in.
$1.90 up here for a large.
Who the he77 calls a coffee with cream and sugar a "regular" anyways???

tm

ps....big thank you to timmies for sending coffee to our boys overseas
Old 04-29-2011, 11:04 AM

Somebody told me the other day there was a program on TV that said Timmys put MSG in their coffee.Would explain all the headache,Don't know never touch the stuff.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:42 PM

Default Msg?

MSG? They deny it. From their FAQ:
Quote:
Is there nicotine or MSG in Tim Hortons coffee?

This urban myth is just that. a myth!

Tim Hortons guests expect and deserve high quality coffee that is always fresh and consistent, along with fast, efficient service and all at a good value. Tim Hortons would like to clearly state that there is absolutely NO nicotine or MSG in our coffee. Tim Hortons coffee has NO ADDITIVES whatsoever. It is made only from a blend of the highest quality premium Arabica beans from several different coffee growing countries.

Tim Hortons decaffeinated coffee also contains no additives. It is decaffeinated through what is called the Swiss Water method, which is the purest manner of removing caffeine from the coffee. Tim Hortons believes that our focus on quality, service and value, is what keeps our guests coming back for more!
Old 04-30-2011, 10:32 AM

Caffeine withdrawal gives me a killer headache on my first day off after working 10 days. The change of morning habits usually keeps me from a coffee for a few hours. My head pounds! I really don't know why I drink coffee.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I really like the Van Houtte Dark Roast but I can't find it anywhere but on their website(where It's expensive) If anyone knows where I can get it for cheaper in or around Calgary,please let me know.

I buy the Columbian Excelencia by Timothy's from Costco.I get 80 cups for $38. and it's very good.
Does vanhoutte have an office in cowtown?
I bought mine directly from their office here in Edmonton.?
Old 04-30-2011, 03:19 PM

i find timmies disgusting and i get heartburn from it.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:28 PM

Back to the OP's topic...I don't get migraines often (6-8 times/year), but find that I can stop one in its tracks by taking 600 mg of ibuprofen with a couple of cups of coffee. The caffeine is absolutely necessary, but doesn't need to be from THC (Tim Horton's Coffee, not tetrahydrocannabinol).

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 04-30-2011, 08:39 PM

x2 on the food diary. I used to get two or so very severe migraines a month (anyone else here ever experience transient aphasia as a symptom?). When I was about 16 I started trying to figure out what caused them. Sugar was the first thing I found, I stopped eating candy and other sweet foods and the frequency dropped to maybe a half dozen migraines per year. When I was about 21-22 I dropped ALL caffiene from my diet as well. Since doing all that I now only get a migraine maybe once a year, tops, sometimes even more like once every 2, not only that, but the severity has been greatly reduced.

It was kind of hard giving up sugar and caffiene, but after a while you get used to it. It's 100% worth it though to not have to go through migraines anymore.

When my migraines were still a problem I never was successful at finding anything to really stop them, or even slow them down, the general advice from the doctors I went was:

1. Ibuprofen, lots of it.
2. NO TYLENOL, TYLENOL WILL FURTHER CONSTRICT THE BLOOD VESSELS, MAKING THE MIGRAINE WORSE!!!
3. A good sized dose of caffiene (drop a couple cups of coffee, or a few cokes)

Figure out the cause of those migraines and cut it out!!! Makes your life so much better!
Old 04-30-2011, 09:00 PM

Lots of good advice here and I thank you all for that..

Yeah wifey tried the food diary but couldn't really see a pattern as to what caused her headaches.
The funny thing is that she was never a coffee drinker in the first place.Then one day she had a really bad migraine at work and was ready to go home and crawl into a dark closet when a coworker told her to stop at Timmies and get a coffee.She did and 20 minutes later her headache was gone.
Now whenever she feels a migraine coming on (once every 2 or 3 months)she heads down to Timmies and gets a coffee and presto...it's gone.

So I guess the bottom line is.....if in pain then do whatever helps you..

Once again,thanks for all the input...
Old 04-30-2011, 10:30 PM

i find timmys coffee too harsh and strong.

friendly sounding words that contain the letters 'eines', 'iums' or 'tines' leads to unhappy sounding words that end with the letters, ism, osis, (can)cer!

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31