Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-03-2011, 05:09 PM

Default Pigeon lake leeches

Are you allowed to use live leeches at Pigeon lake?
Old 07-03-2011, 05:10 PM

Yes as far as I know unless something has changed in the regs...leeches and worms are pretty much the only "live" bait allowed.

I bought a tub of frozen minnows today and there had to have been a dozen perch minnows in there! I wasn't sure (don't think you are allowed to!) if I could use em so the fish got a free meal on those ones. I picked them up at a local gas station...

LC
Old 07-03-2011, 05:56 PM

perch minnows ha thats weird
Old 07-03-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSRfishing View Post
perch minnows ha thats weird
Yah about a dozen were mixed in with the rest of the minnows.....

LC
Old 07-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Have had that before alway get rid of them
Old 07-03-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I bought a tub of frozen minnows today and there had to have been a dozen perch minnows in there! I wasn't sure (don't think you are allowed to!) if I could use em so the fish got a free meal on those ones. I picked them up at a local gas station...

LC
Exactly what I did! but it makes you wonder how many unsuspecting people (who don't fish much or know much about identifying them) use them and could get in big crap....technically the store selling them could to no? Although I doubt F&W goes and checks store freezers for perch minnows...

LC
Old 07-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Exactly what I did! but it makes you wonder how many unsuspecting people (who don't fish much or know much about identifying them) use them and could get in big crap....technically the store selling them could to no? Although I doubt F&W goes and checks store freezers for perch minnows...

LC
Could definitely cause trouble for angler if you got a *****y fishcop
Old 07-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Banned

i think it's also against the rules to throw any unhooked bait in the water... i'm not trying to be a douche but it's kind of retarded how you can get in crap for the last thing you thought possible.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:20 PM

So were the walleye biting very well over the weekend?
Old 07-03-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycr125 View Post
i think it's also against the rules to throw any unhooked bait in the water... i'm not trying to be a douche but it's kind of retarded how you can get in crap for the last thing you thought possible.
....yah maybe they consider that chumming...but half the time I flip a minnow out on a jig it falls off before it hits the water....so guilty as charged...I guess? lol

LC
Old 07-03-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercatcher View Post
Are you allowed to use live leeches at Pigeon lake?
I personally wouldn't waste my time or money with leeches at Pigeon. As mentioned above, use minnows on Pigeon.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 07-04-2011, 12:02 AM

I'm at pigeon right now! (for the last 4 days actually! ) walleye are small, 2.5 lbs, all of them, and early morning and late evening bites. Best hook has been chrome flatfish, run 1' deep or so over weedbeds in 6-8' of water. Surprised at how many pike i've caught here this year! Walleye early and late in the day, pike take over around 10:30-5. And had a perch for dinner! Good fishing at Pigeon! Don't need bait here!
Old 07-04-2011, 10:23 AM

I don't know man, when it comes to Pigeon lake Big jumbo leeches on a floating jig head or just a regular jig head always produce whether on a rig or just tossing them out and retrieving or letting them sit. They work almost as well as the double tail mister twisters. Those are my go-to for pidgeon, as almost all of my hookups are right threw the top lip, none swallowed, no big trebles to mess about with, and its constant action. But speaking bait wise i've had most success with Jumbo Leech's. They seem to like them where the light is able to hit bottom, and a brighter jig head helps peak interest.

oliver

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 07-04-2011, 01:04 PM

I should add, the walleye look very healthy, I was expecting to find fish with big heads and scrawny bodies, but they are thick and fat. A lot have spit out 2-6 minnows and a mouthful of shrimp right next to the boat, so they seem to be eating well!
Old 07-04-2011, 02:17 PM

lots of shrimp in pigeon shores are loaded with them
Old 07-04-2011, 02:22 PM

that, and the whites are making a comeback.[keep your fingures crossed]

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 07-05-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0liver View Post
that, and the whites are making a comeback.[keep your fingures crossed]
and toes
Old 07-05-2011, 11:23 PM

im new here...have tags for pigeon.....i will fish there this saturday...i bought a small 12' boat and it is on the far south shore...(norris beach i think). I dont want any secret spot but what do i use..and is there kinda a decent spot to fish around there? Im more of a fly fisher myself...lol

Thank
Old 07-06-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:

LC
Same thing happened a few times when I bought some off the hiway going to South Buck lake last year. I bet there were 20% perch minnows. Bought 2 tubs and both were like that. I don't recall the brand (if there was one labeled) but thought it was wierd.

Could you imagine being charged using gamefish as bait OR worse yet for throwing them in the lake to avoid being charged.

If they did pursue the charge Could/Would these count as your limit despite the fact they were not caught?

Could you be charged for buying a gamefish?

When you are on the lake and crack the tub open and see that - what do you do? too late at that point. Can't keep them in the boat and can't throw them out. Maybe swallow them whole with a PEPSI to wash it all down (no evidence).

I would hope and expect the F&W officer would be decent about the situation.

It did cross my mind that this was a no win situation if the wrong F&W pulls up to the boat.

Sorry to Hi-jack the thread.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post
im new here...have tags for pigeon.....i will fish there this saturday...i bought a small 12' boat and it is on the far south shore...(norris beach i think). I dont want any secret spot but what do i use..and is there kinda a decent spot to fish around there? Im more of a fly fisher myself...lol

Thank
strip minnow patterns and big wooly buggers near weed beds. there all over, try finding a new spot that nobody talks about, had the best luck near tall pencil weeds though, regardless of where.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post

Thank
I agree with Oliver as well.

I caught Walleye yesterday with an olive wooly bugger at Lac Ste Anne. Was my first time trying for walleye, new to the fly this year.

Go with the fly rod if your comfortable with it.

I would also try something in a white color, had tons of luck this year with that color.

Good Luck