Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-14-2011, 11:27 PM

Thanks everybody for the good wishes I spend a lot of time on the river trying for these fish, but it's very rarely that I've actually gotten in to them (though I've caught a lot of other great fish along the way). Last year I got one big one that was literally my "fish of a thousand casts" and after that one I've been hooked on the sturgeon. The one that I landed this season blew last year's out of the water, and blew my mind all over my face...it's the biggest fish I've ever caught, and of course I'm super excited about it!

That being said, I've heard from a couple people that there was some bad mojo surrounding this post, and it's unfortunate it went that way. I guess that's what I (well, BBJ in this case) get for posting pics/vids of fish along with measurements for size and weight here now? Makes me understand why many members have stopped posting pics and stories on the fishing forum now. Pity...

Anyway, enough time spent on the naysayers, length/weight/whatever aside, this is still by far the best fish I have ever caught and I'm super pumped about it! Needless to say, I'll be spending a little more time this season hunting dinos in the NSR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
This just in He just hooked into another one , Ill let him tell the story , no video because I wasnt there . I think the guy had the hot rod this week folks .
Well, the story is a bit anticlimactic. Got in to one this afternoon...it went for a short run, and then came totally out of the water about 40' in front of me, and very easily could have been the same one I got yesterday. After that it went for a short run upstream and then headed down, and took a lot of line with it. It got in to shallower water, and there was some thrashing under the water, another jump up, and *plink* went my main line. I lost my freakin' marbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
Hey BBJ...we might have an issue hear....he is now growing roots to the bank of the NSR.. Im heading out there with a chain saw to try and pry that rod from his carpel tunnelled hands...might require an intervention!! Ill let you know if I need Backup!
I don't have a problem...really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFish View Post
Great vid, inspires me to try even harder to catch a sturgeon.
They're few and far between, but if you have the patience for the game, it's ABSOLUTELY worth it!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 07-14-2011, 11:48 PM

Thumbs up

River Monsters''That there is a big fish 50 odd pounds
Old 07-15-2011, 12:15 AM

Congrats on the Sturgeon boys!

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 07-15-2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Congrats on the Sturgeon boys!
Thanks man!

So when are you going to come out and play?

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 07-15-2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Thanks man!

So when are you going to come out and play?
Let me know if you are fishing the river this weekend....I can bring fly-rods-a-plenty for goldeye!

LC
Old 07-15-2011, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Let me know if you are fishing the river this weekend....I can bring fly-rods-a-plenty for goldeye!

LC
PM incoming

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 07-15-2011, 07:15 AM

OK Jay Ive been thinking hard about this one....4 of us along the river last night, you were in the middle, and you hooked another nice one....BTW I still consider it landed with an efficient release! Thats 4 solid hook ups in 3 days...I know you put alot of time and research into it, so its definately deserved! I also doubt anyone doubts any of the fish, after all no one is posted as such.....?? And with a bunch of eye wittiness standing right there....na its all good my friend. I can honestly say i could just chill by the river and wait for you to hook into one so I can watch the show!! Eventually something has to grab my line!
Old 07-15-2011, 09:56 AM

UNBELIEVABLE monster geez with some great video
Old 07-15-2011, 11:57 AM

way to go guys! Well done, good ole NSR. I'll have to PM you three and see if I get can get out with you guys sometime.