Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-17-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick. View Post
Not sure where I got the idea from (I know it wasn't my own) but started wrapping elastic bands around the trebles on my crank baits. Before I would pull one from the tray and ten others would come out with the one I picked. With the elastics it has really solved the problem of inter-tangled baits. I'm just not sure what the life span of an elastic is. LOL. Anyway, for this season, it has worked well. Rick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
I'm pretty sure it was Dace that posted it with a pic but can't find it but was good tip

pretty good remembery donkey. i can't take the credit, but i did share the idea on the board. from one of the in-fisherman boys if i remember correctly. must have deleted the original pic off pb to make room for fish pics. link to thread and pic below.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=90300

Old 10-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
pretty good remembery donkey. i can't take the credit, but i did share the idea on the board. from one of the in-fisherman boys if i remember correctly. must have deleted the original pic off pb to make room for fish pics. link to thread and pic below.

I see a couple blue and white raps in there. Good choice!!
Old 10-17-2011, 08:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post

Thanks for link Dace thought it was you remembered because it was a good idea.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo2 View Post
I see a couple blue and white raps in there. Good choice!!
you know i'm a fan. blue has always been my go to color for eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Thanks for link Dace thought it was you remembered because it was a good idea.
no problem.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick. View Post
Not sure where I got the idea from (I know it wasn't my own) but started wrapping elastic bands around the trebles on my crank baits. Before I would pull one from the tray and ten others would come out with the one I picked. With the elastics it has really solved the problem of inter-tangled baits.
There also are hook-covers, which work nicely, or do as I do, and give each crank a separate compartment...it just means devoting a single full-sized tray to what Daceminnow squeezes into a smaller tray, if you do not mind the extra load.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:24 AM

Biggest thing that has helped me is to switch from a open tackle box to a tray style one.

My kids love going through my tackle box and pick out a hook to use or helping daddy organize. It makes it easier when only 1/5th of your hooks are out at a time.

Also if you fish in choppy water and have ever got caught off balanced or had wet hands and dropped the tackle box. Once again its nice to only have to put back 1/5 of your collection.

My other tip is you don't need to lug around your trout pond gear while fishing for gators. Perhaps you might go for perch and gators on the same day but ideally keep your gear in smaller(or for gear collectors larger) tackle boxes instead of one big one.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little archer_99 View Post
i have a large box where i keep all my gear for every type of fishing i do than a smaller box and a backpack that i fill up with only stuff i need for a trip
very smart off you ..i use my backpack for everything that i need for the day or week, as i like to walk alot..
Old 10-18-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parnavi View Post
put in a baggie works fine for me
X2 ziplocs
Old 10-18-2011, 04:56 PM

As posted above, I also seperate tackle by species. Nice to pack less un-needed gear. 4 trays in a softsided bag for pike/perch/walleye, couple small boxes for trout, and one big tray of monster sized pike hooks for when i'm after the big guys. Only take what i need.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:25 PM

I have a few dozen large Plano trays (I use the thin ones to maximize storage), as well a a few dozen small Plano trays, as well as two large soft-sided tackle bags and three small soft-sided tackle bags, so I can customise a bag for whatever trip I go on the night before. I think that you can never have too much storage...I like my stuff stored sparsely, so that I can have it very organised and find anything at a moment's notice.