Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-28-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
best fishing story I've heard in a while. Glad this one didn't start with once upon a time. I would have ****ed myself laughing at that one chubb!

You still need those tags in a few BC lakes don't you? shuswap and kootany I believe for any rainbows over a certain length.
The plastic tag is no longer used
Old 09-28-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
The plastic tag is no longer used
is it just a permit? I was reading the regs earlier this year,a s I was going to goto shuswap and fish with my dad (thats where I'm from) and it said something about it. Glad you don't have to tag them through the gills now!
Old 09-28-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
is it just a permit? I was reading the regs earlier this year,a s I was going to goto shuswap and fish with my dad (thats where I'm from) and it said something about it. Glad you don't have to tag them through the gills now!
Not sure about the shuswap regs.....but im guessing its a check off on your licence with a proper stamp for there also

for you young-ins heres a old tag

Old 09-28-2011, 10:11 PM

You have to buy a special permit to keep Rainbows (over 50cm.) and another for Char (over 60 cm.). Each tag will cost 20 dollars (if you're a non-resident which is all who do not live in B.C.) and it allows you to keep five fish per tag per year in total. Every fish you keep must be immediately recorded on your paper license. So far so good. What really bugs me is this. Your daily keep limit is one (each tag) and your possession limit is two times your daily catch limit, so in the end you can only bring two fish per tag home. IMO the Shuswap is a destination lake and most will only fish there once in a season so I do not see why you can't have a possession limit of five and fill your yearly tag in one trip. This won't stop me from fishing there and to be honest I rarely keep fish from the Shuswap but this possession limit bugs me when you have to pay 20/tag on top of your annual licensee. Rick.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Not sure about the shuswap regs.....but im guessing its a check off on your licence with a proper stamp for there also

for you young-ins heres a old tag

Respect.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:17 AM

Just a thought re: pikeminnow er whatever taking over a body of water:

Might not it be more the excess pressure on salmonids driving down the salmonid population to the point where pikeminnow pressure holds it down? I suppose what I'm saying is that maybe the solution to the pikeminnow issue would be making it C&R only for salmonids. The removal of fish over 50 cm removes the only natural predator that would make a noticeable dent in squawfish populations.

Maybe regulate trout fishing and keeping on the Shuswap like they regulate the Tyee Pool in Campbell River: no power, no bait, no extra weights, no flashers.

That would be interesting!
Old 09-29-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick. View Post
You have to buy a special permit to keep Rainbows (over 50cm.) and another for Char (over 60 cm.). Each tag will cost 20 dollars (if you're a non-resident which is all who do not live in B.C.) and it allows you to keep five fish per tag per year in total. Every fish you keep must be immediately recorded on your paper license. So far so good. What really bugs me is this. Your daily keep limit is one (each tag) and your possession limit is two times your daily catch limit, so in the end you can only bring two fish per tag home. IMO the Shuswap is a destination lake and most will only fish there once in a season so I do not see why you can't have a possession limit of five and fill your yearly tag in one trip. This won't stop me from fishing there and to be honest I rarely keep fish from the Shuswap but this possession limit bugs me when you have to pay 20/tag on top of your annual licensee. Rick.
ive been bitching about that for years,,,,, i fish there and in that area all the time as my parents are retired there... its a cash cow and its a joke,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 11-25-2011, 07:50 AM

No tags, but you have to pay for your stamp and then record your catch on your license. As for catching the squaw fish, I'm not sure what you are doing to catch them, I think uoi are over stating the fact that they are taking over, we did not catch one all year, and boated 182 fish this year. Speed has nothing to do with catching squaw fish, for I troll at all speeds, from .8 mph to 3 mph. Now if you are trolling close to shore in shallow areas, I could see you getting more squaw fish than trout. Try going out a little deeper
Old 11-25-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parnavi View Post
ive been bitching about that for years,,,,, i fish there and in that area all the time as my parents are retired there... its a cash cow and its a joke,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
It's not a cash cow. The lake was in trouble years ago and these new rules have, In my humble opinion brought the lake back to great fishing. How much fish can 1 person really eat? Is it about filling your freezer or getting out and having fun and hopefully catching some fish you can brag about. And if you don't keep fish from the shuswap, don't buy the tag. Not sure why the complaint....