Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-25-2011, 03:27 PM

Default The Fishing Centre Sale

Saved myself about $400.00 buying my Clam 4 man tent and 10" StrikeMaster Lazer at The Fishing Centre as compared to Cabelas.

Everyone I talked to at The Fishing Centre (staff and customers) said a Buddy heater is more than sufficient to heat my new tent. They said a Big Buddy would be overkill. Anyone have an opinion on this? I haven't bought a heater yet.

Bobby B.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:29 PM

I have yet to try my new Big Buddy (hoping next weekend) but you can turn it down to 4,000 BTU so that's the same as the smaller Buddy. But if your ever needed a bunch more heat - go with a friend who has a bigger tent, or need to heat some other space - you can get 18,000 OT of the big buddy. You are buying a heater so if you buy the big one you are prepared for more circumstances. That's how I looked at it.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:52 PM

See any deals on guns?
Old 11-25-2011, 05:02 PM

No such thing as too much heat when its raging outside, and its easier to turn the heater down than find a bigger one on the lake.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-25-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
See any deals on guns?
I have enough guns so really didn't look.

Bobby B.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
No such thing as too much heat when its raging outside, and its easier to turn the heater down than find a bigger one on the lake.
Didn't know you could turn them up and down. Having said that, I'd prefer more horsepower than less. As you say, you can always control the throttle. I'll go with the Big Buddy. If the wife comes along, or the daughter, or the grandaughters, they might as well be warm as toast and happy.

Bobby B.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
See any deals on guns?
They got a few savages on sale any calibre this weekend .
Old 11-25-2011, 09:47 PM

Bought a big buddy before they were even allowed in Canada. They're super great in ice tents (i have an eskimo 3 person) and use it on my jet boat which has a full camping canopy. I use both sides to get the temp up then turn it down to just one side after to maintain. It's also great because it has a low oxygen sensor on it too. My advice is to adapt a larger tank cause the two bottles last only a couple days. Unless you have a bulk adaptor to fill up the 1 pounders again.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
X2 on what Wayne said.

I run a sunflower style heater in my 3 man Eskimo, and though I normally run it on its lowest setting, and then throttle back the 20lb tank more yet, it's sure nice to be able to crank it up when I decide to go out on one of those crazy -30 degree days!

If some is good...more is better!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 11-25-2011, 10:09 PM

ive got the lil buddy and it heats my tent fine. -30 or so it doesnt do so well but that is not too often. hard to start in the colder temps with the thermocoupler. i suggest keeping it in the vehicle until lighting.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:02 AM

The fact that TFC is packing it in is a sad day as far as I'm concerned. They've been my go to store for well over a decade.
The guys in there are always helpful, good to BS with, and just all around good people. They'd always look after my warranty issues, helped me with my insurance claim when my truck was robbed, and just generally treated me really well. I personally wish the boys all of the best in their post TFC lives, and thank them for all of the efforts they've put in for me. I'll have a really tough time selecting another vendor to show the level of loyalty that the TFC crew have earned from me.

Mike
Old 11-26-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
I have enough guns so really didn't look.
Enought guns???!!! Crazy talk I tell you, crazy talk. Don't ever let your wife hear you say this.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
X2 on what Wayne said.

I run a sunflower style heater in my 3 man Eskimo, and though I normally run it on its lowest setting, and then throttle back the 20lb tank more yet, it's sure nice to be able to crank it up when I decide to go out on one of those crazy -30 degree days!

Definately love the sunflower.....lots of BTU's to get the heat up quick then drop it back.. , easy lighting, relitivelty small afforadably units and a 20lb tank will last all season...awsome units, also makes great toast.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
a 20lb tank will last all season
Ha! I think I was on my 4th 20lb tank by the end of last season!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 11-27-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Ha! I think I was on my 4th 20lb tank by the end of last season!
Allow me to rephrase....

a 20 lb tank will last the average, once a weekend, maybe every other weekend if things have to get done around the house or at work, fisherman all season...if however you are a green jeep driving, who I am convinced has some crazy medical condition where if he isn't attached to the water by some sort of line, will suffer iminate death, and who logs more time fishing then breathing....then yea 4 tanks.....yes not a critism but a confession of pure jealousy.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
X2 on what Wayne said.

As I learnt yesterday when I went with you. I had bought a heater similar to the little buddy wouldn't heat my fat fish 4 man. Froze my nuts off as jay was laughing that he was nice and warm with the sunflower. Found sunflowers on sale at canadian tire for 60 bucks. But on the upside we did have a good feast of brookies.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 11-27-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Allow me to rephrase....

a 20 lb tank will last the average, once a weekend, maybe every other weekend if things have to get done around the house or at work, fisherman all season...if however you are a green jeep driving, who I am convinced has some crazy medical condition where if he isn't attached to the water by some sort of line, will suffer iminate death, and who logs more time fishing then breathing....then yea 4 tanks.....yes not a critism but a confession of pure jealousy.
Bwahahaha! That sounds about right!

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure I get *at least* 10-12 trips out of a tank, though I've never actually counted. I have a spare tank and when one starts feeling light I'll toss the spare in the Jeep just in case. Running out of propane on a -25 day would really suck!

You can get a smaller 5 or 10 pound bottle as well, but then you have to find a place that will refill it - I like the 20lber just 'cause I can exchange my tank practically anywhere in a pinch.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 11-27-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
As I learnt yesterday when I went with you. I had bought a heater similar to the little buddy wouldn't heat my fat fish 4 man. Froze my nuts off as jay was laughing that he was nice and warm with the sunflower. Found sunflowers on sale at canadian tire for 60 bucks. But on the upside we did have a good feast of brookies.

Andy
Glad you got on the sunflower heater trolley, and on sale to boot...you'll love it!

That little heater you had smelled *really* bad too.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 11-27-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Glad you got on the sunflower heater trolley, and on sale to boot...you'll love it!

That little heater you had smelled *really* bad too.
lol or maybe it was the pickled eggs I ate before I came.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 11-27-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77mse77 View Post
The fact that TFC is packing it in is a sad day as far as I'm concerned. They've been my go to store for well over a decade.

Mike
Sorry, but I did miss something here. I was there on friday and they sure didn't look like they were "packing it in".
Old 11-27-2011, 04:57 PM

Yup. They're shutting it down.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Allow me to rephrase....

Hey I resemble that remark!! except for the jeep thingy.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-28-2011, 11:27 AM

I shop at the Fishing centre all the time as well. Do you know when they are planning to close? I didnt know they were shutting down. Must be tough to be the small store with all the other guys around.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
I shop at the Fishing centre all the time as well. Do you know when they are planning to close? I didnt know they were shutting down. Must be tough to be the small store with all the other guys around.
They are supposed to close by christmas. Its not cause of the big retailers that they are shutting down.Its cause of the investors of the company demanding more profit.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
They are supposed to close by christmas. Its not cause of the big retailers that they are shutting down.Its cause of the investors of the company demanding more profit.
According to one of the employees, whose name I won't mention, TFC is closing because he's tired of working 60 hour weeks.

Bobby B.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:26 PM

man i have been in edmonton quite a few times and never even heard of this place. now i wish i would have to check this place out. maybe i will have to make a trip out to edmonton to check it out before they disappear.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:58 PM

Anyone know what the price of an eskimo fatfish (3-4 man) at the fishin center is right now?
Old 11-28-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
According to one of the employees, whose name I won't mention, TFC is closing because he's tired of working 60 hour weeks.

Bobby B.
His first name wouldnt start with a L would it. He is always there, great guy to talk to and deal with. Going to miss that store.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
His first name wouldnt start with a L would it. He is always there, great guy to talk to and deal with. Going to miss that store.
Yes it would.
Bobby B.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:40 PM

Default The fishing center closing down

I have no idea where Im going to get my regular dose of harassment/abuse from now, much less my parkers minnows. Bummer.