Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-11-2011, 02:29 PM

Thumbs up White fish techniques

I agree with your post. The other day I went fishing in Gull Lk. and caught 5 in 40 min. with a yellow ww. Then I switched to a brass with yellow at the head, & man were they going for that or what. Some would come real fast and I would point the hook towards them and they would take it big time.The fish that would come in slow looked disinterested I would pull the wire worm away from them quickly and then drop it back and pointing the hook in the direction they went. The fish would double back and this time really go for it. Fish on. I find that when I do this method very few fish don't double back for a second look.

Last edited by SonnyCovin; 01-11-2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: A few grammer mistakes
Old 01-11-2011, 02:31 PM

Why are you pulling up a thread 2 years old?
Old 01-11-2011, 02:50 PM

Well I saw the exact word for word information on another web site when I was doing research on white fish techniques and I wondered if plagiarism was possible since no credit was given to the original writer.Sorry if I ****ed anyone off, If he wrote the original great however I saw other writings by this person and believe there's no match to the writing.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:56 PM

Who really cares? What is this, grade two? He is giving good info does it really matter where it came from?

Welcome to the forum by the way. Hope you enjoy it. But I don't think there is any point in whay you're doing.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:19 PM

Default Ice fishing for whitefish

TJG thanks for showing where you saw the article, it is a great piece of work and if Drano wrote then his stock just went up with me. If not I wish he would have done what you did or give credit to whom ever wrote it.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:29 PM

Default Ice fishing foe whitefish

Nicemustang.Thanks for the welcome. I love to get good information on fishing styles and how to stuff. Another person brought up the same question and then posted the website where he saw it too, since there was no reply to his query I just wandered why?? However, I am not here to cause trouble just want to get informed on fishing and get the best people to give it.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:59 PM

I also find it is very important to select the right bottom substrate when fishing for whites. I find they like sandy bottoms with some silt and little weeds in about 8-16 feet deep. In shallower water they tend to like short weeds. I rarely if ever have seen them in taller weeds. Anyone else have an observation on bottom type and weed cover versus lots of whitefish action?
Old 01-11-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
Who really cares? What is this, grade two? He is giving good info does it really matter where it came from?

Welcome to the forum by the way. Hope you enjoy it. But I don't think there is any point in whay you're doing.
There tons of threads hyper linked to this web site. The info maybe old but still has value.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:51 PM

Does anyone find maggot color makes a difference? I find wire worm color makes a huge difference...I prefer yellow or copper...but pink or white maggots don't seem to matter.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:52 PM
Gone Hunting

Lately on Gull the whites wont take anything if theres a maggot on it.

save a tree kill a beaver
Chuck Norris can bump fire a bolt action
"A predators heart knows no remorse. It lives for the hunt, a natural force."
Old 01-11-2011, 06:58 PM

just asking......dont any of you think whitefish stink ...bad? compared to other fish
Old 01-11-2011, 07:03 PM

Nope, but pike and their slime smell bad in the summer.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
just asking......dont any of you think whitefish stink ...bad? compared to other fish
How so? Fresh after catching or the smell cooking? Only sport fish in Alberta I can't stand the taste of is Goldeye...at least the 3 or 4 times I tried it. Muddy and very oily out of the Red Deer. Delicacy smoked...but not fried in butter LOL.

I don't mind lake whitefish but the majority I have eaten has been smoked.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbotman14 View Post
Nope, but pike and their slime smell bad in the summer.
I know nothing better for drying out your skin that pike slime
Old 01-11-2011, 08:10 PM

oh ......no not cooking..NO whitefish is making it into my kitchen......2 years ago i had to burn a 550 buck floater suit after being the maggot and official unhooker for 16 kids on LBR.

i think rocky mtn whites stink too.

everyone is different...am happy albertans enjoy catching ad eating them.

Last edited by chubbdarter; 01-11-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:22 PM

Hey chubdarter, is there a good whitefish lake near Perdue?
Old 01-11-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
where' s perdue?
Old 01-11-2011, 08:24 PM

Rockies, yes. Lake whites? No. In AB they are super slimy though and I don't care for them but in SK I find they are pretty good. Just had some smoked last night, with fettucini alfredo is probably ones of the best meals out there. And the pickled whites...I don't know how I could have grown up without.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
ah...your making a funny about my lack of intelligence....i think the university is spelled...Purdue
Old 01-11-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
ah...your making a funny about my lack of intelligence....i think the university is spelled...Purdue
chubdarter.

Do you fish much around Meadow Lake? We were thinking of going camping there next year and wondering if there are any tiger trout lakes near the area. Being a Saskavite...I hope you have the answers as this Albertan needs some directions.

Tiger trout are so cool. I am hooked on trying to catch one...no pun intended.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
chubbdarter...

Do they even have lake whitefish in Saskatchewan? I can't see them having rocky mountain whites obviously...but I have never looked up the species distribution for lake whites in Sask. The walleye seem bigger as you go east...maybe the whites get bigger also.

Just wondering.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
chubbdarter...

Do they even have lake whitefish in Saskatchewan? I can't see them having rocky mountain whites obviously...but I have never looked up the species distribution for lake whites in Sask. The walleye seem bigger as you go east...maybe the whites get bigger also.

Just wondering.
not sure what the game is.....but why all the sask questions from you and your pal?
Old 01-11-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
not sure what the game is.....but why all the sask questions from you and your pal?
I thought you and goldscud knew each other. It sounded like he was outing you on a favorite whitefish lake.

You said you were not Albertan and based upon your posts my best guess was Sask. Sorry if I am wrong. Where you from? Manitoba? I know they have tigers there for sure!

Anyone else on the thread know of tigers up by Meadow Lake? Or even better...SW Sask!
Old 01-11-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
chubbdarter...

Just wondering.
NO need to answer...I found what I was looking for on Google. There lake whitefish...no mountain whitefish.

Could it be that lake whitefish in Saskatchewan have a different taste than Alberta Lake Whitefish?
Old 01-11-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
I thought you and goldscud knew each other.

You said you were not Albertan and based upon your posts my best guess was Sask. Sorry if I am wrong. Where you from? Manitoba? I know they have tigers there for sure!

Anyone else on the thread know of tigers up by Meadow Lake? Or even better...SW Sask!
you know i dont know scud...you an scud are buddies.

i dont know where you say i said that..if i did it was a misprint...im albertan.....

why dont you just man up and state your game?
Old 01-11-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
i dont know where you say i said that..if i did it was a misprint...im albertan.....
I asked...did you know of any lakes with Tiger trout around meadow lake.

I take it your response is no. They are really neat looking trout don't you think though.

Very sharp and intense patterning on some that were posted here a while back. I never forgot them and they are on my bucket list. Have you at least caught some before? If not...no need to post a response.

Thanks.

Sun

P.S. Looking back at your conundrum...maybe he read your post...Seems like you used albertans in the third person rather than first person. Just a mistake of prose on your part is all. Thanks for clarifying.

Chubbdarter says "everyone is different...am happy albertans enjoy catching ad eating them. "
Old 01-12-2011, 05:20 AM

Man has this thread gone off topic. Thanks for the tips on white fish people. Was a great thread at the begining. Still trying to get my first white. LOL
Old 01-12-2011, 08:31 AM

Great info guys.
My favorite wire worm to use is a brass with red tip, but the brass needs to be shinny. When the brass gets dull I find it doesn't work as good. Also when I jig it I give it a double tap every 5-10 seconds and then every couple minutes or so I pull up the hook to the bottom of the ice and let it free fall to the bottom. I find that the free fall drives them crazy and they come flying in on it before it hits the bottom. A old ukaranian fisherman showed me that when I was a little kid and it works!!

BH

Old 05-31-2013, 11:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethbridge_1 View Post
Great post Drano. I am by no means an expert (yet..lol), but one pointer I can give is if you are using a braided line, attach a 10" piece of 3x or 5x tippet to connect the braided line to your lure so as not to spook line shy fish. Another thing is if you are using a wire worm or similar lure, tie it to the line so that it hangs horizontal to the bottom (90 degrees to the line coming down the hole) as this is a more natural presentation.
Quick question though, how would you tie the wire worm horizontally if the eye of the hook is on the head end? would you have to go out and buy a specific wireworm where the eye of the hook is in the center?

Also, would you jig the horizontal worm up and down then afterwards? Since you are ice fishing, i would assume trying to move the horizontal worm horizontally would be a challenge. How would jigging a horizontal worm affect the natural presentation of the lure?

Sorry, newbie here, lots to learn...