Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-01-2017, 02:41 PM

Default Looking for advice in Hinton area. (Rock Lake, Obed lake, Shiningbank Lake)

Hey guys.

Thinking about planning a trip to the hinton/jasper area. Would love any reports/tips/advice for fishing the local area lakes and/or rivers.

Would love to get into trout but I wouldn't turn my nose up at Rocky Mountain Whitefish, Pike, Walleye, Lake Whites if available.

I mentioned 3 lakes in the title and any advice/tips would be useful! (What kind of lures, depth, as well as available camping)

I know Peppers is in the area but was looking for (hopefully) something bigger than the 14" trout there.

Probably making this a 3-day excursion.

Feel free to PM me directly if you don't feel like making your advice/tips completely public.

Thanks in advance for any & all replies!

PS: I have already done searches on this forum as well as google but a lot of the reports I'm finding are close to a year old so was looking for some updated information. Again, thanks in advance for any replies!
Old 09-01-2017, 02:51 PM

Do you plan on getting a parks license and fishing within the park? Talbot has massive lake whites.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:53 PM

And pm specles. He's a fishing guru of the area you described. Maybe he will chime in.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:08 PM

I think I need a parks license to fish Rock Lake correct?

Sorry really new to the area.

I will definitely fire a PM his way!

Thanks for the response.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Fisher View Post
I think I need a parks license to fish Rock Lake correct?

Sorry really new to the area.

I will definitely fire a PM his way!

Thanks for the response.
Nope, Rock Lake is out of park boundaries. It has been 4-5 years since I've fished it but I did by slowly trolling a whooly bugger fly on a type 7 full sink line...deadly

If you are going to get a national park license and want bigger than 14 inch brookies, try Maligne. Not too hard to get up to 20 inches there and they are so tasty!

Talbot, if you did it, I would advise catch & keep only as the water is so warm right now C&R will pretty much be at 100% mortality. I know speckle used to fish it during these times...not sure if he still does....but for me I'm avoiding it until spring time again because of the warm water.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:58 PM

This is already really helpful. Idk about keeping every fish i catch so maybe I'll leave Talbot alone unless I'm planning on doing a shore lunch one day or something. With my luck I'd go hungry though because I have legitimately never caught a whitefish in my life.

Would love for someone to teach me one day. I've been fishing for whites at least a half dozen times on various lakes and never even saw one nevermind got a bite haha. A couple trips ice fishing I even went with a guy who knew how to get them, and my hole was not 3 feet from his across the tent and he pulls 3 out in an hour. Meanwhile I get a couple hammer handle pike to take my wire worm (exact same color as my friends) but no whitefish sightings. I've even caught a couple walleye while fishing for whites. Helps the time pass but its frustrating to say the least lol.

it's like I'm cursed lol. using exact same color wire worm, jigging the same way as my friend who was catching them...ugh lol. Tried small slender spoons and kastmasters but I just simply need to put in more time I guess. I taught myself how to dropshot this summer though and that should help. I can do a wire worm and then a fly or what ever I want now while all having it rigged on invisible floroucarbon. Back when I was in skunk city with whites I didn't really know about the in-line finesse style presentations like dropshotting. Next step is learning how to fly fish with an actual fly rod I guess haha.

If I manage to tie into one you guys can bet you'll see my ugly mug grinning ear to ear holding it up for an evidence photo, even if its a 10" fish lol they all count for "first white".
Old 09-02-2017, 03:52 PM

No recommendations of the locations you ask about. Just a suggestion on catching a whitefish, even if it's a rocky mtn. whitefish.... On your way west try the McLeod river north of Hwy 16. Bottom bounce a white fly or a couple maggots and you should catch a rocky mountain white. The North Sask has rockies too. Rockies like the current more.

I fished Rock lake a long time ago and it just so happened that a grizzly sow and cubs were in the campground so tent camping was a little concerning. Fishing for the smaller trout was just ok. Tried for lakers but no luck.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets