Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-22-2011, 06:44 PM
Banned

Default Not impressed with "fly nation" tv show

There are very very few fishing shows I like anymore and I used to watch fly nation alot but man oh man I cant stand it anymore. The whole show they play that music and try and make it to hardcore I think. The one episode the other day had music with constant cop sirens in the background. Like are we fishing in compton? Anyone else understand what im talking about? I wish they would talk more about patterns and the area there fishing. After tonight I no longer can watch this show.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:50 PM

They are just trying a different approach. Hey, can choice be a bad thing? It is not my cup of tea either but there is probably someone out there who would rather hear music than some host spewing out corny sayings like "It just doesn't get better than this...".
Old 02-22-2011, 06:50 PM

watching it now....
Old 02-22-2011, 06:52 PM

I'm pretty happy they didnt talk to much about southern Alberta in their recent episode no point in makeing some of our rivers more busy
Old 02-22-2011, 06:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplander View Post
I'm pretty happy they didnt talk to much about southern Alberta in their recent episode no point in makeing some of our rivers more busy
I agree with you on that.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
They are just trying a different approach. Hey, can choice be a bad thing? It is not my cup of tea either but there is probably someone out there who would rather hear music than some host spewing out corny sayings like "It just doesn't get better than this...".
yeah I can see what your saying in a way. I like sport fishing on the fly alot as they talk alot about insects, flys and tie a pattern each episode.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterSkeeter View Post
I agree with you on that.
same there a prime fishery and i hope it stays that wayy.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:04 PM

was working the both across from them at the show, had to turn down the volume on there demo films.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
was working the both across from them at the show, had to turn down the volume on there demo films.
Im 25 and think that music is way overdoing it. Im old fashioned and like the acoustic style music like "the new flyfisher" has or even sfotf's music or sport fishing BC. Maybe there trying to appeal the younger generation, I dunno lol.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:12 PM

other than The New Flyfiher and Sport Fishing On The Fly not impressed either
Old 02-22-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Im 25 and think that music is way overdoing it. Im old fashioned and like the acoustic style music like "the new flyfisher" has or even sfotf's music or sport fishing BC. Maybe there trying to appeal the younger generation, I dunno lol.
I'm 27, but I play classical guitar and a banjo, country boy.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:23 PM

what channel....made by local guys?
Old 02-22-2011, 07:36 PM

I record WFN every tuesday night on the PVR. That way when Fly Nation gets a little funky I can move on.

And Ya, what was with the sirens.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Gone Hunting

When music plays throughout an entire episode of flynation it makes me feel like I'm watching a youtube video..

save a tree kill a beaver
Chuck Norris can bump fire a bolt action
"A predators heart knows no remorse. It lives for the hunt, a natural force."
Old 02-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehunter3-0 View Post
When music plays throughout an entire episode of flynation it makes me feel like I'm watching a youtube video..
EXACTLY, through the whole darn show its music. Drives me nuts, even when the guys talking the musics still playing!
Old 02-23-2011, 09:21 AM

Everytime I watch fly nation it makes think that the guys running the show got a new editing suite for christmas and are subsequently trying to use every single visual editing effect in each episode.
The show is pretty good, it could just use a little less "flash".

Has anyone seen the hour long show on WFN where a dude with dreads and a short white guy drift a river with a guide looking for browns and bows?

The guy with the dreads keeps catching like 16 - 18 inch rainbows and talking about how he is getting tired from catching 12 pound fish all day. Lame.

A good fly fishing movie to check out is "Hustle and Fish". Great footage, great music, and a half decent story.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:29 AM

To each there zone, myself I think Big Coast has a pretty good balance. The guys seem down to earth, some of the tunes are good (and local). I'd like to know where they get the cash though? Seems like they have no budget for that show.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2 oz Bucktail View Post
Everytime I watch fly nation it makes think that the guys running the show got a new editing suite for christmas and are subsequently trying to use every single visual editing effect in each episode.
The show is pretty good, it could just use a little less "flash".

Has anyone seen the hour long show on WFN where a dude with dreads and a short white guy drift a river with a guide looking for browns and bows?

The guy with the dreads keeps catching like 16 - 18 inch rainbows and talking about how he is getting tired from catching 12 pound fish all day. Lame.

A good fly fishing movie to check out is "Hustle and Fish". Great footage, great music, and a half decent story.
Have to agree on the dreadlock dude, that was very lame.

I really enjoyed First Descent Alaska, that was an awesome movie. Next time they should plug in Eastern Rises, that video blows my mind every time i watch it, my girlfriend admitted it is one of the few fishing movies she loves to watch. One dude makes a double haul cast in front of Kremlin priceless
Old 02-23-2011, 04:31 PM

I guess with WFN we as fly fisherman have to take what we can get. 3 shows that talk about fly fishing and the rest seem to talk about bass or ocean fishing.. I wish they would have more shows fly fishing related. I am a big fan of Sport fishing on the fly, i like the fly tying portion of the show. But am getting tired of watching them fish BC lakes?? I am also a Fly Nation fan, i could also do with out the music but atleast on that show they are always fly fishing for diffrent species in diffrent countrys. I just wish they would lay off the music and talk alittle more about gear. Since they are using all the top gear out. Plus any show with April Vokey in it I will watch!!! haha
Old 02-23-2011, 05:18 PM

ya well i would love to have more fly fishin shows instead fo the 45 bass fishing shows that show the same stuff on every epasode and it gets boring.
fly nation,flymax,sport fishing on the fly,the new fly fisherman,ect i love them but i like SFOTF the best because of the fly tying portion on it.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
There are very very few fishing shows I like anymore and I used to watch fly nation alot but man oh man I cant stand it anymore. The whole show they play that music and try and make it to hardcore I think. The one episode the other day had music with constant cop sirens in the background. Like are we fishing in compton?.
I've been to Compton (for serious), and as recall fishing was not really big there. I did once see a guy with a line in the L.A. River, not to sure what he after. I saw lot's of folks fishing while living in L.A. though, one guy pulled a small ray out of the surf and the Santa Monica pier might see 100kg of mackerel a day. I think that Alberta has better fishing than Los Angeles, I agree that fly nation could do a little more R&D when it comes to the juke box.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:37 PM

you see alot of bass fishing shows as they are pushing the big market....i lived in the states and most of the fisherman eat,sleep and crap bass and they spend huge money doing it...dont get me wrong...fly fishing is big bucks also if you want quality stuff....most people think fly fishing is floating down a stream or walking the banks...where bass fishing is 50 thousand dollar boats,big money tournaments and everyone wants a piece of that pie...in that market down there most of the fly fishing was salt water....very little in fresh water....same down east alot of spin or bait cast fisherman...out west i have never seen so many...carefull what you wish for as if you start getting big money companies involved then you might end up with your favorite spots lined with new fly fisherman....lol