Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-27-2011, 10:53 PM

Default these woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn?Narn. View Post
"You there, yes you with the rifle I do not approve of,...leave these woods!!! and take your heinous doe tags with you,..and those slacks,...are those,..(puke) Levi's !!!!,...be gone!!! Be gone from these woods at once I command thee !!!!!!"

"Now gentleman, a cup of Earl Grey and a bsicuit and we'll be well away,..cheerio!"
Like I said I know alot of guys out there disapprove of the sks, and the fact that I want to fill my doe tags with one, I know that I can get less the 40 yards to a doe and kill her with no problem drop her where she stands with my sks, Its not a problem. By the way Iv spent alot of money on my camo gear the last season and Im not some redneck hillbilly out there blowing everything away. Im a serious hunter who wants to take a deer with a rifle that cost less then 200 bucks and rounds that are less then 15 for a box of twenty. Im sorry that im not like you who spent 1000 bucks on a rifle 1000 bucks on a scope and 5 bucks a shot. Its not my style of hunting, im fairly proficiant with open sights and trust my shots fully with my sks under 150yards. if you are a bush hunter You dont need to use a 30 power scope for the woods, open sights are more then enough
Old 08-27-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
Like I said I know alot of guys out there disapprove of the sks, and the fact that I want to fill my doe tags with one, I know that I can get less the 40 yards to a doe and kill her with no problem drop her where she stands with my sks, Its not a problem. By the way Iv spent alot of money on my camo gear the last season and Im not some redneck hillbilly out there blowing everything away. Im a serious hunter who wants to take a deer with a rifle that cost less then 200 bucks and rounds that are less then 15 for a box of twenty. Im sorry that im not like you who spent 1000 bucks on a rifle 1000 bucks on a scope and 5 bucks a shot. Its not my style of hunting, im fairly proficiant with open sights and trust my shots fully with my sks under 150yards. if you are a bush hunter You dont need to use a 30 power scope for the woods, open sights are more then enough
I also want to bag a deer with my newly purchased SKS...but 150 yards is beyond my "like" zone for lack of better words.
I'm thinking of a tree stand where shots will be 50 yards or less.

Anyhoo....I got some soft point ammo for the task..

Last edited by SonnyJ; 03-24-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:04 PM

i dont think anyone doubted you can take a deer with your sks, I am even going to pick up some hunting ammo for mine. Sure it may not be the most expensive or fancy rifle out there, but neither is the Lee Enfield which alot of people are going to be using this year. If you can make a clean shot and take your deer who gives a crap if you used a $5000 sniper rifle or a $200 sks, at the end of the day you both have meat in the freezer and you done it cheaper
Old 08-27-2011, 11:05 PM

Sort of a side note, where are you finding the soft point ammo? I cant seem to find any except on line where it cost 4x as much to ship it as to buy it
Old 08-27-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
You need to learn to distinguish between friend and foe a little better...

I have seen several der shot with an SKS,...and the vast majority of mine have been shot with a 30-30
Old 08-27-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
Sort of a side note, where are you finding the soft point ammo? I cant seem to find any except on line where it cost 4x as much to ship it as to buy it
I bought mine at Ron's Outdoors in Edson...$24.95 a box of 20.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:10 PM

Thats funny, rons in edson has it but not Wholesale lol, not sure why but that humors me lol
Old 08-27-2011, 11:14 PM
Banned

Here is your most widely used assault rifle, and you don't need a restricted license to own one.

It took down a ton of moose also.

British_SMLE_-_2.JPG
Old 08-27-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
Thats funny, rons in edson has it but not Wholesale lol, not sure why but that humors me lol
lol...I said the same thing.

I like Ron's...a bit pricey on some things but they usually have it or can get it for you..
Old 08-27-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Here is your most widely used assault rifle, and you don't need a restricted license to own one.

Attachment 38914
Im putting a super special black ops stock(ATI) on my "Jungle Carbine". But dont tell to many people or they might try to make it a prohib with the slang name carbine and all lol

. Maybe Ill try to build a 100 round mag for it too lol
Old 08-28-2011, 08:19 AM

You ar looking at 2-3 grand for a quality nonrestriced black rifle, ie robinson arms xcr or bushmaster acr (questar has a non restricted one),
Old 08-28-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJ View Post
"Assault" like rifle?

I had a real cool one many years ago..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPhZsauluXM
No batteries needed. Makes it a legit candidate for, How things have changed.

Grizz
Old 08-28-2011, 08:52 AM

Get what you want, have fun, be legal.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:18 AM
Banned

PM sent
Old 08-28-2011, 09:55 AM

You get free Ammo and free camping with PPCLI.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
You get free Ammo and free camping with PPCLI.
Now thats funny $#!T right there!
you forgot to mention free meals, and a real snazzy wardrobe
Guy Fawkes and his companions
Did the scheme contrive,
To blow the king and parliament
All up alive!
Eat, Drink, and be merry for tomorrow we shall surely die
Certified tinfoil hat wearing redneck.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:56 AM

Forgot about the transportation, thats free also, and they teach about building excavations, that will be usefull for goose hunters.
Pete
Old 08-28-2011, 11:33 AM

Default :)

Quote:
You need to learn to distinguish between friend and foe a little better...

I have seen several der shot with an SKS,...and the vast majority of mine have been shot with a 30-30
Sorry Arn I must have misunderstood what you were saying, But what I think i understand now is that you agree
Old 08-28-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Forgot about the transportation, thats free also, and they teach about building excavations, that will be usefull for goose hunters.
Pete

Dont forget the nifty physical fitness plan, and the ability to learn line dancing real easy if you get the 2, 3 timing type instruction.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-28-2011, 01:30 PM

one on my list is the benelli MR1.... you should take a look
Old 08-28-2011, 01:33 PM

and for those against "assault like weapon", they should learn a bit more about history, cause every type of firearms started in the hands of the military
Old 08-28-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
and for those against "assault like weapon", they should learn a bit more about history, cause every type of firearms started in the hands of the military
Gigantic difference between the old warhorses that can and have lasted 100+ years and the tactical tupperware they issue now.

If wood and steel is 'too heavy' for the troops, then they need to toughen them up.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:31 PM

Default black rifles

liberal types love this type of infighting between gunowners. we need to maintain the rights that we have and continue fighting for the ones that we should. if you dont like the black gun, military type rifles or handguns keep it yourself it just makes their job easier. conservatives wont be in power forever. divide and conquer seems to be the liberals agenda, once they get rid of restricted weapons do you think they are going to stop?
rant over, have a look at the benelli mr1 or a norinco m14
Old 08-28-2011, 05:33 PM

Bolt action rifles look nothing the same as each other any more than AR style rifles do.

AR platforms can be made very accurate, but then they normally aren't the ones you will see with the light rails, grenade launchers, and the red dot/ scope combinations.

Most AR's are restricted so unless I am going to compete with one in a service rifle match i have no use for one.

Also, Ii don't like any servce rifle except a the pre1960 bolt action jobs, but don't care if others are into the newer AR style stuff, SKS/AK47 clones, etc.

I do know where to get some quality stuff , but I simply don't use it.
pass the tea pot , Old Sport!
Cat
Old 08-28-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
"You there, yes you with the rifle I do not approve of,...leave these woods!!! and take your heinous doe tags with you,..and those slacks,...are those,..(puke) Levi's !!!!,...be gone!!! Be gone from these woods at once I command thee !!!!!!"

"Now gentleman, a cup of Earl Grey and a bsicuit and we'll be well away,..cheerio!"

I owe you a beer for that one. Internet forum perfection!! The perfect balance of sarcasm and the underlying message that we gun owners need to stick together, regardless of the color of our guns!

Internet Gold Star for you, my friend!!!
Old 08-28-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:

Fudds.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762Russian View Post
If wood and steel is 'too heavy' for the troops, then they need to toughen them up.
Too bad you were not at our range today...a few of us retired softies could have toughened up by tossing you about! Weight training might make men out of us yet.

I spent a very enjoyable day today shooting AR's with some of those retired softies that I suspect can walk the majority of the young lads on this site into the ground without breaking a sweat. They sure can shoot well to boot!

If you've got something constructive to say about a tactical platform have at it, but don't be slagging folks.

I was pretty biased toward .223 and the AR platforms...Would rather have the old.303 or the Fn .308,s that I was issued. However after shooting some AR's my attitude changed. Some of the match rifles are tack drivers!

I now have my own with all the bells and whistles. I think it's a great battle rifle. I still love 7.62x51 so suspect one day an AR10 will also find it's way into the gun safe.

Yeah I know you can't hunt with one.....yet! But when they finally open a zombie season I'll fill lots of tags.

Last edited by uglyelk; 08-28-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post

Attachment 38914
You beat me to it.

I bet if the SMLE was coloured black it would be banned.

No one NEEDS an assault rifle. And really, no one NEEDS a semi auto firearm or a pump shotgun.

And no one really NEEDS a handgun. And no one really NEEDS an air rifle much less an air pistol.

It is really nice when other people tell you what you need. They are called liberals, and what they want is your tax money to tell you what you NEED.

You see, if you own one of those black assault rifles, you are considered by some other gun owners to be of a lower class.

In fact a lot of people currently consider all gun owners to be of a lower class, yet some gun owners have yet to figure this gun banning trick out.

Last edited by greylynx; 08-29-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:12 PM

http://www.frontierfirearms.ca/index...ath=17_677_679
Old 08-30-2011, 11:04 AM

Default Rem 700 option

http://www.brownells.com/mobile/aspx...aspx?pid=43777

This will get you that assault feel