Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-27-2013, 03:41 AM

Wow, the ice is about 12" or so and so may trucks so close together.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:09 PM

Well here we are, north side of lake @ the cabin. Wasn't planning on getting on the ice today until i got a call, the wife was off work by 8am. With plenty to do figured might still get an hour or 2 or daylight and by the time we got here there was time in the day to put a lure in the wAter. Long story short the gas auger aint cooperating. Never got to run it last year, never even fired er up.

This weekend is the first go(this season). I can get it goin, after a few pulls and then some, but she won't run full throttle, maybe 80% @ best. Guess it's enough to drill a hole but worried she won't run tomorrow am. My brother in law and my nephew are coming for the first time out on the ice, don't need to disappoint. Well till tomorrow...
Old 12-27-2013, 06:52 PM

Default Friday, Dec 27th

Planned to meet up with member Bwackwabbit and a newbie to A/O who was looking for some new area to fish. Decided to go back to RR23, I was the first one on the ice today at the crack of light. Put up the shack, only ½” ice on yesterday’s holes, used the axe, dropped the camera down, fired up the propane heater and I was set. W/W’s went down, hard to see the bottom in the dark, expecting to see fish and nothing and more nothing. O.K. try the camera, looked around and there were 2-3 Whites just cruising, nothing like yesterday morning when the fish were very active during the first hour after sunrise. We got 4 Whites and decided to move to deeper water around 10:30. Yesterdays worm colors didn't produce, caught 3 on dark brown glass bead/black wire wrap, see pic.

We got set up close to where I was yesterday in 15 FOW on a sand/gravel weed area. There was 2 or more inched of flood water and approx 9” of dark ice. The newbie couldn’t make it, but Bwackwabbit’s fishin buddy Bill came along and out fished the two of us. Bill caught more Walleye & Pike on small smelts that both of us combined, as well he lost more than either of us caught ... talk about frustrating! Took a pic of Bill, perhaps you know him?

See the grey truck in the pic, he was 100 paces from us, also on 9" of ice, guess that can hold a truck, went he left the ice was cracking and the water in my hole was moving ... scarey!

About 2:30ish the cold front came in the wind picked up and the fog moved in, the temp dropped 10 degrees, it was 3:30 time to go, it was miserable & the fish disappeared.

Here's a few pic's from today ... enjoy!

Zip-Z

Old 12-28-2013, 03:30 PM

After a really slow morning at Gull, arrived at the east end of Sylvan about noon and tried to drive NW to our spot off Norglenwold. Got about 400 yds NW from the existing shacks and almost got stuck in the snow/slush so with tails between our legs did a wide U turn and got off the lake ASAP.

Hit our usual spot about a mile from there around 1 PM and drilled in 7' - 14' depths for whites. No action deeper than 10' but 8' was the honey hole depth for us. Before the fog and snow/wind storm hit at 3 PM and we packed up a few minutes later, my partner and I landed 8 whites, lost 7 more and released 4 walleyes so a good afternoon. Couldn't buy any interest on my herring tip-up for pike...

In the interest of being helpful, I will say all we used were Wetaskiwin spoons, brass, copper and flour chartreuse - our usual colors. Pound bottom a few times then hold still 2 - 4" above bottom until the lure stops moving. They usually grab it as it rises off the bottom or once it stops. Good luck.

I hope to spend New Years Eve out there christening my new shack... what beter way to end a year and/or start the new year!

I really enjoy the whole AO forum so am wishing all the contributors a safe and successful New Year!
Old 12-28-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPman View Post
After a really slow morning at Gull, arrived at the east end of Sylvan about noon and tried to drive NW to our spot off Norglenwold. Got about 400 yds NW from the existing shacks and almost got stuck in the snow/slush so with tails between our legs did a wide U turn and got off the lake ASAP.

Hit our usual spot about a mile from there around 1 PM and drilled in 7' - 14' depths for whites. No action deeper than 10' but 8' was the honey hole depth for us. Before the fog and snow/wind storm hit at 3 PM and we packed up a few minutes later, my partner and I landed 8 whites, lost 7 more and released 4 walleyes so a good afternoon. Couldn't buy any interest on my herring tip-up for pike...

In the interest of being helpful, I will say all we used were Wetaskiwin spoons, brass, copper and flour chartreuse - our usual colors. Pound bottom a few times then hold still 2 - 4" above bottom until the lure stops moving. They usually grab it as it rises off the bottom or once it stops. Good luck.

I hope to spend New Years Eve out there christening my new shack... what beter way to end a year and/or start the new year!

I really enjoy the whole AO forum so am wishing all the contributors a safe and successful New Year!

Great Report .... BPman, keep those hooks sharp & all the best in 2014!

Today (Dec 28th) I noticed 2 trucks on the ice across from the old A&W just past the area where the skating rinks were last year. Didn't see anyone fishin, perhaps they were just stuck in the slush & snow.

Zip-Z

Old 12-28-2013, 09:28 PM

Planning on heading out early tomorrow am, see if I can't nail me a few whitefish. Have never fished sylvan lake before, can't wait. Got my jigs and some maggots and if the whitefish aren't biting I will see what I can catch on my trusty tip up. Thanks for all the info fellas, this thread is great!
Old 12-29-2013, 09:56 AM

Yo Zip:
Best regards to you too. Watch for "The Green Hornet": c'est moi!
Old 12-30-2013, 05:39 PM

Default Monday, Dec 30th

Went out after lunch, decided to give Norglenwold a try, got to the access road just of Rustic Rd and this is what welcomed me. Decided to walk out and spoke to a young fellow who was hauling his gear back to his truck. He said he caught 1 White but should have got more, they weren’t all that active. He was a bit concerned getting back out, the ruts were deep and his truck was light. I tried to enhance the pic of my hat, the ruts were 12-14 inches deep and most vehicles were dragging bottom getting to the ice.

Changed my plans .... off to RR23, there were a number of vehicles out on the ice; the access road was beat up but nothing serious. Drove out to the general area I was fishin over the past few days, got set up, put the camera down and no fish hanging around. Put on a flashy Wetaskiwin and after ½ hour a white finally came into my hole to have a look, it wasn’t interested in my W/W’s so I tried my Caddis tube house creation, that got him excited, it was swimming in circles trying to pick up the presentation off the bottom, thought it had inhaled it, set the hook & missed, that was the only fish I seen over the next hour and half, got skunked today!

Packed up at 3:45 it was snowing, windy & flat light, you could barely see the vehicle tracks to get through the drifts, stepped on it and finally got to the road, noticed some serious flood water just off the access area, it wasn't there when I arrived nor last week, stopped to check it out & took a few pic’s, this area is deep & dangerous, wouldn’t want to be stuck in there overnight.

Anyone going out in the morning, as soon as you get on to the ice make a sharp right turn, don’t do straight or left towards Palm Bay, otherwise you may be in trouble.

Zip-Z

Old 12-30-2013, 09:09 PM

Well as far as the trip went it's wasn't anything worth bragging about. Didn't get out till late am, the auger didn't preform well and didn't catch anything. Seen a nice size pike swimming around but didn't like what my brother had to offer and left before He could change it up. That said there's about 12 inches of good ice. I was the first brave soul to drive out on but didn't want to go to far, ended up walking the rest of the way. Few hours later someone pulled out on the ice with his shack...guess I would have been fine driving on.

P.s. Trying to add a pic. We were only in about 5FOW in that pic. It won't let me add more, have to play around to see how to.

P.s.s we did move the tent to about 12FOW which is where we saw the pike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (26.5 KB, 137 views)
Old 01-02-2014, 09:05 PM

Default Thursday, Jan 02nd

For those who live in town, wasn't that an awesome fireworks display last night ? To bad the contractor slept in and got started a 1/2 hour late! Nevertheless, it's the New Year, decided to get out for a few hours this afternoon, -1C, some sun and very few people fishin, as well a slow day the guys next to me had a few small Whites they caught in the morning using yellow & orange power bait on a W/W & jig and departed about 2:00ish.

Got set up in a different area in 4 FOW over 16” of dark/white ice, sat there for over an hour before Jake the Snake came to have a look at what was thumpin the bottom, it wasn't pots nor pans just my brass bell! Got rid of him and started to see a few Whites, all small but they kept me staring down the hole, finally got one about 3:30, the pip-squeak went back, had a few more hanging around but not at all interested in any thing I had dangling down the hole. It was getting close to Happy Hour, time to go home & have a rum & coke!

There’s still some serious flood water just off the lake access area on RR23, one guy went around and got stuck in the deep snow, his kid tried pulling him out using the sled, that didn’t work, he had some help from a passerby. Others were hauling out their shacks, kids were laughing & having fun, after 38 years of workin, I finally found a job that's fun .... guess that's what retirement is all about!

Some pic’s from today ... enjoy!

More snow & freezing rain in the forecast .... time to start thinkin about a trip to Cancun!

Zip-Z

Doug Ford rescues Rob Ford ... a TO. thing, it could be worst, if ?

That's 16" of ice & say "She sells sea-shells on the sea-shore in 4 FOW x 3.

Herring bone's in the sky ... more snow on the way!

Happy New Year .... to all A/O members, tight lines & sharp hooks in 2014!

Old 01-02-2014, 10:55 PM

Nice pics love the fords.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bluZebec View Post
Nice pics love the fords.

Yup ... the tow strap broke after one last pull and flew back, lucky the hook didn't hit the kid or go through the windshield!

Zip-Z

Old 01-03-2014, 05:53 PM

Set up our new shack over 8 FOW Tuesday afternoon and saw no fish in the last hour or so. New Years Day fishing was slow - we saw only one walleye but caught 4 whites in 12' depth so will be moving out to deeper water next trip. Still too much slush along the east end for trucks to get around. Even snowmobiles and quads were bogging down some places west from the Sylvan Lake town site public access point.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPman View Post
Set up our new shack over 8 FOW Tuesday afternoon and saw no fish in the last hour or so. New Years Day fishing was slow - we saw only one walleye but caught 4 whites in 12' depth so will be moving out to deeper water next trip. Still too much slush along the east end for trucks to get around. Even snowmobiles and quads were bogging down some places west from the Sylvan Lake town site public access point.
Hey BPman ... just wondering about ice thickness were you're anchored ?

Hopefully the flood water will be frozen over in the next few days .... -32C with the wind should help .... stay warm !

Zip-Z

Old 01-04-2014, 11:47 AM

We were out there as per the last report. It was our kids making all the racket.....great day. Got 2 small walleye on tip ups with 6" smelts! Hungry buggers! Saw 7 white fish on the camera but I have no idea how to catch them. They paid no interest in the small offerings I used. No sign of any pike at all.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:49 PM

Default 3days3fish

Good thing I had snowshoes to stay on top of all the flood water saw a few trucks playing in the slop and not walking around bring your rubbers.Fish were not cooperative 3 whites and a walleye the whites were around not in large numbers as in the past, all released. The highway around leduc is sheer ice, and down to one lane, the flipped over trucks should give you an idea slow down!
Old 01-04-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Hey BPman ... just wondering about ice thickness were you're anchored ?

Hopefully the flood water will be frozen over in the next few days .... -32C with the wind should help .... stay warm !

Zip-Z
We were about a mile NW from the public access and there was a ood 12" of hard ice such that I would not hesitate to drive on it if the slush under the snow didn't reduce traction so badly. Yes - we need a really hard freeze before traction will improve. We saw a couple of trucks that looked like they might have been stuck.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:49 PM
Banned

Where does the flooding seep up from,, or is it just melt of the snow from the snow?
Old 01-04-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
Where does the flooding seep up from,, or is it just melt of the snow from the snow?

I believe this question has been asked previously .... there are a few good answers herein, you may recall this thread.

"What causes flood ice ?" .... http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...t=flood+ice%3F

Zip-Z

Old 01-05-2014, 12:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
I believe this question has been asked previously .... there are a few good answers herein, you may recall this thread.

"What causes flood ice ?" .... http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...t=flood+ice%3F

Zip-Z
I actually posted on that thread but I had never witnessed REALLY bad flood water till last year,, and now parts of that thread make more sense.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:39 PM

Last time out my electronics were tired and packed it in before I was ready to go, I bought my last battery in 2009 for my Marcum, did a quick search and found "The Battery Doctors" in Red Deer, dropped in and spoke to Earl today, he was most helpful and sold me a better quality battery than I previously had and gave me a discount for buying two. I'm recommending him/his business if you need a battery.

All powered up & ready to get back on the ice, forecast looks promising over the next few days ... I'm thinkin it's time to go exploring to some new/old spots .... more to follow.

Zip-Z

Old 01-06-2014, 09:15 PM

Error
Old 01-08-2014, 05:22 PM

Default Wed Jan 8th

Got out for a few hours, back to RR23, the lake access is bumpy but O.K., the ice road is beat down, on occasion I was scraping the bottom of my SUV, wouldn't want to break a new trail, you could see guys who went off the main track where in deep snow, slush and signs of being stuck. It was a nice sunny morning, but only 5-6 vehicles out and fishin was slow. Caught 2 small Whites, in 6 FOW, both released, one was less than 10", could of used it for Pike bait, his partner wasn't much bigger, dark W/W with glass beads.

Decided to move deeper found a nice gravel sand weed area with lots of small clam shells, great looking spot, sat there for 2 1/2 hours and caught 2 small pike that went back. Seen a small Walleye, but wasn't interested, a few big Whites were hanging around but never stopped for a moment to have a look at anything I had down the hole.

The ice at this area was weird, 10" dark then 4" water then 3" of solid white ice = 17". I imagine if your truck broke through the 3-4" of white ice you would be spending the night or getting someone with a winch to get you out ... see the pic's.

Packed it up and decided to see what Norglenwold - Rustic Road look like, there were a few trucks out, deep snow, if this is your tent it needs fixin and if you ventured off the main path here you would be stuck like the Dodge.

Would be nice to have that Deere 870 operator clear a bit further than the end of the road. It's going to be a tough year, you can't get to some of your honey holes unless you have a sled or quad, having a permanent shack this year will also be a challenge getting out to.

A few pic's from today .....

Zip-Z

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 01-08-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:33 PM
Banned

best answer I have found for dealing with flood water is chains. took my wife's jeep through 6 inches off site and 10 inches off flood water with a set best money I have ever spent and the jeep it's a stock Cherokee diesel.

thanks for the great thread and pictures never fished that area before our for whites either. would love to learn how one day.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:51 PM

Thank you for your update. I really enjoyed your post
Old 01-09-2014, 10:34 PM

Spent today on Sylvan @ Norglenwold. No more ice than last week but the slush seemed worse. No truck or quad tracks and only one snowmobile track from a few days ago. Some places there was 4" of water over top of the hole and other places the ice was 2" above the water so very variable over short distances. Really hard walking in the deep stuff. No wind and mild so a nice day on the ice but fishing was slow: 3 anglers for 5 whites and a few got off the hooks. Best action was in 10'ft depth.
Still beats staying home and doing chores... can always do them "tomorrow".
Old 01-11-2014, 09:57 PM

Default Friday Jan. 10th

Went out to Norglenwold for a few hours, there was only one other group out, the access road off Rustic/Sylvan Drive is beat up and of course ruts, once you get on to the lake you can at least drive to the were the shacks are beyond that was pretty deep snow with flood water & frozen ruts.
Found my spot that was good last year, 6 FOW on top weed bed that drops off to 15 FOW , got set up on the drop in 12 FOW over sand/weed bottom.

This area looked real promising, put the camera down and could see some Whites moving from deep to shallow, there was one that was huge, never seen a White that big in Sylvan. Tried everything, no action in 1.5 hrs, decided to move up the drop to 6 FOW, and dropped my brass W/W dark bead, got a small White & it went back, sat there for the next hour and nothing. Dragged my shack back to deeper water, those big Whites were still teasing me but not interested, had enough.

My Marcum 825C was working fine until I moved and dropped the camera back down turned it on and all I got is the “Blue Screen of Death” tried a few different things but still no picture, need to call Marcum, have any of you experienced similar problems ?

I had a chat with the other guys out, they caught 1 small Walleye in 8 FOW, that’s all, when I was packing it up at 3:30 a few more guys drove on with big trucks and then two young guys with a small car made it on to the lake, then came out the shovel, they barely made it back up the road scraping bottom all the way, interesting to watch.

Some pic’s ....

Zip-Z

Old 01-11-2014, 09:58 PM

Default Saturday, Jan. 11th

Went back out to RR23 today with member Bwackwabbit, some guys appeared to stay out over night in their trailer, we were the first out at the crack of light, what a beautiful morning, no wind, no snow & the sun came and so did the people. We got set up away from the crowd in 12 FOW over a weed/sand/gravel area and were seeing lots of fish, (Whites, Pike, Walleye & a Perch, no Burb’s) but none all that interested in our offerings.

Bwackwabbit’s small silver jigging spoon finally got a few Whites excited and we started to hook a few, as well as some small Walleye and Pike. Then my dark W/W and the Brass W/W with dark bead got a few more Whites to commit, unfortunately, we both lost more than we iced today. The Walleye today were more interested in picking up a dead smelt than taking a jig & minnow, the Pike didn’t like either, nor a big fat stinky hearing, don’t understand why.

By 3:30 the wind started to howl, a storm was coming so we departed, while we were driving out it was near white out conditions, the ice road is one lane & will be difficult to travel for those going out tomorrow. Kept two Whites for the Mrs for dinner had a good day fishin.

Some pics to share .... are you in the crowd ?

Zip-Z

Norglenwold Today .... just as crazy as RR23

Old 01-11-2014, 10:16 PM
Banned

lol sorry for the roadblock
Old 01-11-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gslice View Post
lol sorry for the roadblock
Hi Gslice .... How was you day fishin ? Trust you made it home safe & sound, the roads were terrible.

Zip-Z