Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-28-2008, 10:17 AM

Default Fishing Derby?

I'm good at getting sponsors and everything and I would put it towards a good charity. Do, I Need anything special to make it happen? And would anyone from the lethbridge are in here come? I'm just curious. I've always wanted to throw my own Derby for kids and I was thinking $10 / entry. Heaviest pike gets a prize, second, third etc.. The money goes to the foodbank.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Banned

Default Derby

I am not sure if you are aware or not, but there are all kinds of new regulations regarding tournaments in Alberta. Check with your local fish and wildlife office, they will have all the info you need and an application for a competitive fishing event licence.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:01 PM
2430M

From the regs,

"Derby and Tournament Licensing
The licensing of organized fishing derbies and tournaments (Competitive Fishing Events or CFE's) is required for events involving more than 25 participants. The type of licence depends on the number of participants and the value of prizes. The cost of all licences is $25 and will only be issued to organizers who are residents of Alberta. Best Management Practices have been developed and incorporated into licence conditions to reduce impacts on fish populations. Events with 25 or fewer participants do not require a licence, but organizers are encouraged to voluntarily register such events and to follow best management practices.

The CFE website, http://srd.alberta.ca/fishwildlife, provides organizers with application and reporting forms, licence conditions, contact information, and information on how best to operate an event. A Questions and Answer document addresses the issues event organizers need to consider prior to advertising and running an event. "
Old 09-28-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprime27 View Post
I'm good at getting sponsors and everything and I would put it towards a good charity. Do, I Need anything special to make it happen? And would anyone from the lethbridge are in here come? I'm just curious. I've always wanted to throw my own Derby for kids and I was thinking $10 / entry. Heaviest pike gets a prize, second, third etc.. The money goes to the foodbank.
I was going to host one as a part of my tackle company. Its alot of work. Im looking at about 2 years to get all the work etc done. And you need to have agreement to the foundation group etc. You have to include costs for prizes people who are going to attened etc. Its not as simple as it sounds.