Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-19-2016, 07:18 AM
AO Sponsor

Default Ocean Meds... I'm loaded for bear! What's best?

So I loaded up on seasick meds, less the Gravol, (don't want to sleep my fishing trip away!)

So what's best? I plan to try dosing with Bonine the night before and morning of, plan to wear the sea band thing on my wrist, use herbal patch and if I still get queasy then the ginger candy ginger and Ginger gum. I'm leary of the scopolamine patches cuz I would still like to be able to pee while I'm on my trip and afterwards as well!!!

So, what do you figure, are us non seaworthy people good to go or are some of us still doomed to be feeding the fish?
Old 07-19-2016, 07:23 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Rum, just a shot of rum, dark rum that is...enjoy your trip!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-19-2016, 09:14 AM

I get sea sick on fishing boats and the patches helps me a lot. stick it behind your ear the night before. Worked for me and we were miles off shore in big rollers.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:06 AM

You can also try Dramamine.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:09 AM

Also - one quick note.

I tried the Transderm V patches a few times. On one four day trip, I decided to pull off the first patch I put on after 2 days on the water. I replaced it with a fresh new patch at night.

When I got up the next morning, I had really bad double vision for the first 6 hours. It was fun fighting Salmon while seeing doubles of everything.

So - quick word of caution re replacing the patches.

I have also found that if and when I am feeling ill, sipping ginger ale and snacking on crackers helped a lot. Just need to keep the stomach acid at bay.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:51 PM

Dramamine makes some people very drowsy too.

I would still take along some scopolamine patches if you are someone who gets sea sick that's the best.

Now i dont know your age or history but the side effect of not being able to pee is usually only if you're an older male who already has some prostate enlargement.

The blurry vision is more likely from getting the medication from the patch onto your hands and then rubing your eyes since the scopolamine causes changes in the size of the pupil so you see double or blurry. So just follow directions to using any medication and wash hands well after applying or touching patches.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 07-19-2016, 03:10 PM

If you get drunk to the point you are swaying around trying to keep upright - I would think, if you got the dose just right, it might level you off. Kind of like the boat pitching to the left as you sway to the right. Getting the dose just right can be fun too.

On a serious note - I have had a few conversations with some people that get motion sickness and the patches seemed to have worked well for them.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:08 PM

non-drowsy gravol
Old 07-19-2016, 06:34 PM

My wife suffers from sea sickness and here is her reply. The transderm patch helps, the sea bands probably don't but she wears them anyway and she takes gravol. the night before and morning of. We went off Stuart Florida a couple of years ago in 8 foot waves and according to her, nothing works in those conditions. I give her credit though, she would quit woofing and land a fish then go back.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:41 PM

marijuana. great anti-nausea and it doesn't take very much.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 07-19-2016, 09:44 PM
Banned

Oh my. After a quick glance at your post, and an even quicker glance at all that "stuff" you bought, I thought this thread was a troll.
2nd look, I see that it's one of us flat landers heading out to sea. Marty, unless you have some sort of existing health problem (ear, stomach), or maybe your sensitive to smells, I'm sure you'll do fine.
If you do get "sea sick" have them soak your head in sea water while your sitting on deck backasswards on a chair.
I hope you have calm sea's, sunny weather and look forward to some pics. of your catch.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:44 AM
AO Sponsor

We will have an older gentleman on the boat with us, and he says he is quite prone to seasickness, but I don't think he ever medicated himself before. I figure I'll be prone to it as well but don't know, was at Hardy last year but the water was flat, like flat like a lake on a windless day. I guess the wind did come up in the afternoon on the second day, but we were all on Bonine, which looks to be the exact same thing as Dramamine. I do recall trying the roller coaster at Calaway park with the kids, that was a little hard on me! Two laps and it seemed like I still felt woozy from it a month or two later!

OK, patches it is. Can't fool around, we are doing an overnight trip on the ocean, so there's no coming back to the dock. Will just have to have a chat with our 80 year old friend!

Ninja, I don't ever troll on here, do I?
Old 07-20-2016, 07:51 AM

Smile Bonine!!!

I wish you could get it in Canada. I used it at Haida Gwaii and Hawaii and did better than expected. Good luck, for me there is no "sure" cure.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I wish you could get it in Canada. I used it at Haida Gwaii and Hawaii and did better than expected. Good luck, for me there is no "sure" cure.
X2. I always pick up a pack or two when I travel to the US for business. The stuff is great.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:49 AM
AO Sponsor

I see Bonine for sale on amazon.ca so you can buy it in Canada.

I did get mine from the USA, didn't trust the mail service here. But one very experienced charter guide tells me that with clients season after season, the scopolamine patches are virtually bulletproof.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
I see Bonine for sale on amazon.ca so you can buy it in Canada.

I did get mine from the USA, didn't trust the mail service here. But one very experienced charter guide tells me that with clients season after season, the scopolamine patches are virtually bulletproof.

From a person that unfortunately suffers from sea sickness - Scopolamine patches are FAR from bulletproof. They do little for me.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:59 PM

Default Patch

Marty.
We have seen the most success with the patch. It's not 100% but better than anything else you listed.
P.S. You taking Bill with you?
Jim
Old 07-20-2016, 06:00 PM

Default Where to

Where are you going fishing? Bill wasn't sure.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
We will have an older gentleman on the boat with us, and he says he is quite prone to seasickness, but I don't think he ever medicated himself before. I figure I'll be prone to it as well but don't know, was at Hardy last year but the water was flat, like flat like a lake on a windless day. I guess the wind did come up in the afternoon on the second day, but we were all on Bonine, which looks to be the exact same thing as Dramamine. I do recall trying the roller coaster at Calaway park with the kids, that was a little hard on me! Two laps and it seemed like I still felt woozy from it a month or two later!

OK, patches it is. Can't fool around, we are doing an overnight trip on the ocean, so there's no coming back to the dock. Will just have to have a chat with our 80 year old friend!

Ninja, I don't ever troll on here, do I?
Sorry Marty. No I have never seen you troll. What I meant was that at a quick glance at all those meds, I thought someone was having some fun. When I saw that you were the OP I actually read your post.
I have never been sea sick, but my son was the last time we were in Mexico. First time for him, and it was not fun. Had to cut fishing trip short.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:03 AM

There has been a couple sea sickness threads lately, and no one has mentioned something that I find can "help".

Anyone who has been sea sick knows when they start getting the "sweats", that its coming.

If the sweats are just starting, take ICE or cold drink and hold it on the back of your neck.

I have been able to do this to stave off getting sick long enough during a flight with bad turbulence during the decent. Or to extend the amount of time before I start chumming for sharks. Or to get me to smarten up and snap out of it if I have been reading in the car.

If you are on a boat, get someone to dump a glass of ice water over your head and the back of your neck. The ice water is a shock to the system. This usually gives me about 30 minutes of "relief" before i'm hanging off the side of the boat again. After a couple more Green Yawns - take another splash of ice, and go catch some more fish!

If you are going to be rocking on a boat for 8 hours, it is certainly not going to prevent you from getting sick, but I have found it helps A LOT to make me not want to "rather just die", and lets me actually participate instead of crawling off into a corner to suffer.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:52 PM
AO Sponsor

One article that I read said to double dose on Bonine, instead of once a day, take it twice, as well to stick on a patch, a sea band on your wrist and to be sucking candied ginger. So take a Bonine or Dramamine the night before and morning of ocean trip, again in evenine and morning if going added days.

I got the band already, I'm gonna stick one on, Im going to take my double Bonine and stick the scopolamine patch on. Maybe I will do some prayer too!

(I would imagine some of the sea hardened folk are currently experiencing a little pain reading this thread! If so, try taking a Gravol Ginger pill! LOL! Them ginger candies look appealing too!)