Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-09-2009, 09:23 PM

Default What fishing Boat to Buy

So my old man tells me on the lake last weekend that he wants to buy a new fishing boat, we have a 12' with a 9.8 merc right now but he wants something bigger like a 16-18ft boat. Just wondering what are some good models, we have to have seating for 4, aluminum, live well, and not tiller motor control. I'm not even sure where to start with this.

thanks for the input.

Scrub
Old 09-09-2009, 09:49 PM

I bought a Crestliner 1600 Fishhawk with a 75HP Mercury Opti Max about 3 years ago and I couldn't be happier with it. I had to get a fourth seat but there is tons of room, plenty of storage and pretty decent on fuel.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:17 PM

Go with crestliner or smokercraft

both are highly respected boat dealers, I wouldn't got with lund if your new to boating just because they get real expensive when smokercraft or crestliner have just as good as boat with close to same features for way less.

here are there websites:

http://www.crestliner.com/

http://www.smokercraft.com/
Old 09-10-2009, 06:15 AM

Love my Crestliner 1650 Sportsfish, 140 Nissian, Honda 8hp Kicker. Mind you it is a 1995 but still solid boat would take it anywhere.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:28 AM

Do yourself a favor and check out Alumacraft. Also,when I was boat shopping, it seemed that Lund was more competitive in their pricing if you weren't looking at the top of the line boats.

BTW, I own an Alumacraft Trophy 185, so I am probably biased, but I have never wished I had a different boat either.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:09 AM

Lunds are better but
these are still great boats
Old 09-10-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big fish View Post
Lunds are better but
these are still great boats
and more expensive
Old 09-10-2009, 03:31 PM

Exclamation

Go look at a 16 foot Lowe Flat Bottom John boat, it can easily fit four but it does not have a livewell that i know of. I have one with a Yamaha 9.9 HP and it cruises with 2 on it but if you have four onboared then you should go with the 20 HP. The the flat bottom it makes it very stable perfect for fishing or duck hunting. Although the flat bottom makes it a rough ride on chopy lakes.

Last edited by fishaholic45; 09-10-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:32 PM

Dont waist your time buy a 18' or 19' foot lund pro V .... Lund builds a very fishable boat lots of room and storage..... i fish fishing tournaments and have fished out of lots of differnt boats ,stratos ( own one) alumincraft ( like a lund) tracker, ranger and they are all great but from my experience & preference....lunds are the best.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:38 PM

Your budget may be an important point. The boat you have is worth under $2,000? and the boats that are being recommended are over $20-30. Thats a huge jump in price
Old 09-10-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey1099 View Post
Your budget may be an important point. The boat you have is worth under $2,000? and the boats that are being recommended are over $20-30. Thats a huge jump in price
I think you're absolutely right. My dad bought a pretty decent used Misty River 14' boat that we use quite comfortably for around $6000. But the sky is the limit if money is no object.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:18 PM

Default I have

..a couple of boats and I like them both. My new Smokercraft ULTIMA 172 is pretty sweet for a fishing boat / Recreation boat.

The SmokerCraft Has two 'aerated' live-wells (rear live-well is about 30" across) along with 3 seats, 6 seat pedestals, Lots of storage (most of it lockable) MINN KOTA, 115 Optimax, removable carpet, swim ladder, bimini, complete fish tops (sides, rear, top), travel cover, mooring cover, 3 super DEEP CELL batteries with simple plug-in charger, FM / MP3 player, front seat cushions, ski package, Galvanized Bunk trailer with Swing Tounge, etc, etc... Great boat, easy to move 4 or more adults across 3' rollers and significant chop. All in all, a GREAT boat ! Well built extruded Aluminum with Rolled Hull. Lifetime transferable warranty on hull and rivets with 3 year interior and 3 year Mercury Warranty. All for 28k (GST in...)

My first PICK was the Alumacraft Trophy Sport 18' with the 135 Evinrude but that boat with the 'options' that I wanted / needed was well over my limit of 30k. The ALUMACRAFT is the BEST built boat available right now and is a TRUE 2X Hull from front to back.... NO other boat Manufacturer can state the same...

Much like buying a car, it's best to know what your budget is FIRST and then fit a boat into that dollar amount, then you'll have a good idea of what you'll get for the money.

Cheers,

/FC....
Old 09-10-2009, 08:32 PM

I love my Alumacraft, 3 years old and other than Pike blood she is in perfect shape. Not 1 issue from day one.
Dodger.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:38 PM

go to freespirit marine edmonton, crestliner fishhawk or kodiak are great, mercury engines are good, evinrude are good/great
brunswick corp owns lund princecraft,crestliner,lowe and one other i forget and they just decide that lund is their topboat, princecraft is 2nd, crestliner is 3rd etc... lunds are great but so are the 2 7 3 boat for much less $
Old 09-11-2009, 02:17 PM

My wife and I bought a Crestliner 1700 Super Hawk back in April from FreeSpirit Marine.. We love our boat... Right boat for the right $ and could not be happier
Old 09-11-2009, 02:41 PM

Well i think that the old man has found the one he wants, He is looking at a Legend 16xcaliber anyone have experience with these boats, 18-24k is the budget and these look like best bang for you buck.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:52 PM

I would watch out with Legends. they are usually set up wrong. the dealers dont know squat. IMO
I LOVE MY LUND
Old 09-11-2009, 03:00 PM

I had the same boat in mind when I was looking but the Legend dealer (in Leduc) really turned me off.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:11 PM

I find the Legend's ride quite rough compared to my Crestliner 1650 Sport Angler. They are lighter and the aluminum thickness is .100" vs .125" in Crestliner's, Lund's and other models.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorTurtle View Post
I would watch out with Legends. they are usually set up wrong. the dealers dont know squat. IMO
I LOVE MY LUND
How do you mean set up wrong???
Old 09-11-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRUB View Post
How do you mean set up wrong???
he means underpowered as in hp of outboard doesn't fit with boat size.

if your budget is in the 18k to 24k range u can pick up a really nice boat for that here is one i got for 20,950

Old 09-11-2009, 07:05 PM

have had no problems with my legend
except for i had to go to olds sask to get it
like you guys said on here cars rv is a joke
Old 09-12-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Well i think that the old man has found the one he wants, He is looking at a Legend 16xcaliber anyone have experience with these boats, 18-24k is the budget and these look like best bang for you buck.
dont buy a legand, friend was a dealer and you dont want oneI have a Lund and wouldnt trade it for anything
Old 09-12-2009, 02:06 PM

i've had 4 lunds over the years and never an ounce of trouble...highly recommended...
Old 09-12-2009, 03:35 PM

anyone have a tracker boats before, what are they like.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:54 PM

I bought a Lund Pro Sport 1700 last year; a red one with all the 60th anniversary badging. I love it Yes it cost $32,000 from Rainbow Marine in Edmonton but I only plan on ever buying one boat so I needed high quality with all the bells and whistles I could dream up. It seats 6 plus the cushioned open bow, has a 115 Merc and a 70lb thrust Minnkota, livewell, rod storage, Lowrance, and lots of storage. Also awesome, high quality snap on travel cover and LED equiped trailer. My buddy bought a Legend at the same time and I'm sorry to say the quality just isn't there plus a cover is extra anything bigger than a 50 Merc is extra, trailer LED package is extra, Minnkota is extra , etc. He got his from a dealer in Stoney Plain and the service just plain sucks, so bad they had him drive 2.5 hours to get his boat only to tell him it hadn't come in yet once he got there
I don't know about these other boats; I just know LUND = QUALITY plain and simple but this is all just my opinion. No matter what your Dad buys I'll still talk fish with him or you at the boat launch
Old 09-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Banned

FACT: Lund boats are simply the very best you can buy. They make a very wide range of boats for all budgets and their resale value is second to none. Heard and seen too many nightmares with alot of other cheaper boats. Best of luck with your choice. Just make sure it's a Lund.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
I was talking to a guy who had one and he seemed pretty happy with it... It was a 2000 18' and was powered by a 150 4-stroke. Nice boat and was pretty smooth and fairly quick. It was pretty heavy though, coming in at around 1590 lbs or something like that...(dry, no engine).

Decent enough boats but I find that they don't come with a lot of 'Extras' and that can Add up VERY quickly.

Cheers,

/FC...
Old 09-12-2009, 11:37 PM

Default I dunno,...

For 18 to 24k you won't find many NEW boats to choose from that are much longer than 16.5' with 90's or better. That budget should present a 'challenge' and will 'severely' limit your choices. If you like the LEGEND, so be it, but IMO I thought they were put together rather poorly and the fit and finish was pretty bad. Of course those are the 'ones' that I looked at (07 -08's)...so perhaps they are better built now.

Given your budget and considering the time of year, I would seriously consider buying a used boat instead. The boat that JESSE34567 picked up for 21k looks pretty damn nice and I would say that you would stand a VERY good chance of buying a similar boat at this time of the year for that price or likely 'even' better....

If I'm not mistaken, 'Winch101' had a nice Crestliner for sale and a few other members on this board are looking to upgrade in the Spring-Time as well.... Now would be a good time to ask around and see if you can pick-up one of their boats before the Winter. At the very least, I would seriously consider something that has some Warranty left on the Engine. Although nowhere near as likely to fail, Transferable Warranty on the HULL would be a definite bonus.

Either way, there's lot's of boats to choose from but whatever you decide, don't take anyone's word as 'Gospel', because what they like in a boat might not be 'yours or your Dad's priority'. Also, anyone who tells you that one boat is 'THE BEST' no matter what, doesn't know what they are talking about..... There is no such thing as 'the perfect boat, cause if there was, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Cheers and Good Luck,

/FC...
Old 09-13-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
My brother has a 18ft tracker, he loves it and does alot of tourney's in it.
I have a 21ft tracker and i do a few tourney's as well, good stable ride, had no problems with it. When it's time for a new one, i would buy tracker again.
Mine is a dual console, which is the only thing i would change, it gets damn cold.lol... Spring and fall in alberta is Brrrrrrrr at 50+ mph, i do miss the full windshield.

My brother also had a legend, the ride wasn't very good as they are a light boat. The packages they put together do look very affordable, but as others mentioned those packages are way too under powered for the boat. And to upgrade to bigger hp you will see the price go up drastically.

Keep browsing the web and boat traders, should be alot of people or dealers motivated to sell this time of year. Good luck