2 x 63cm(25") - 82cm(32") 16 14.81%
2 x 63cm(25") - 76cm(30"), 1 x 76cm(30") - 91cm(36") 5 4.63%
1 x 63cm(25") - 76cm(30"), 1 x 76cm(30") - unlimited 9 8.33%
1 x 63cm(25") - 82cm(32"), 1 x 82cm(32") - 102cm(40") 3 2.78%
2 x 63cm(25") - 91cm(36") 7 6.48%
N/A I do not abide to the regulations. 6 5.56%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2010, 02:03 PM

Default Your Chance to Write the GEN REGS on Pike - A) Size and Limits. VOTE NOW

ALBERTA only.

Please vote honestly and only once. YOUR VOTE IS CONFIDENTIAL.

Consider all lakes are not created equal and these are GENERAL REGULATIONS; assume they apply to the majority of lakes in Alberta.

This thread is not open for debate. There are many other threads to debate and bash on. Please respect all members and if you need to comment, comment on the POLL only and not the content. Yes there are many more combinations, but I tried to make it as simple as possible so choose what closest mirrors your opinion.

If I can get an honest, reasonably large sample from the "voice that matters", you the recreational angler, I will take it to the highest level possible within the governing bodies of Alberta.

This is your chance to be heard.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:13 PM

Where is the poll?
Old 02-08-2010, 02:17 PM

Sorry poll incoming
Old 02-08-2010, 02:19 PM

Default Who made you king??

Tacklerunner,

What interest is it of yours to conduct a general opinion pole, and then take it to the highest level possible if in your opinion the sample is large enough? Isn't that what the organized bodies like AFGA are about? your intentions may be well meaning, but really, why not leave these things to the parties who have already established lines of communication with the Province?

Drewski
Old 02-08-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Tacklerunner,

What interest is it of yours to conduct a general opinion pole, and then take it to the highest level possible if in your opinion the sample is large enough? Isn't that what the organized bodies like AFGA are about? your intentions may be well meaning, but really, why not leave these things to the parties who have already established lines of communication with the Province?

Drewski
Because of the constant bickering and difference of opinion and bashing within the forum about this topic! Even totally unrelated threads turn into a p**sing match judging who kept what and why they should or shouldn't. This is a way to be discreet without controversy.

Everybody wants to be heard. Let the stats talk for themself.

"What interest is it of yours to conduct a general opinion pole, and then take it to the highest level possible if in your opinion the sample is large enough? Isn't that what the organized bodies like AFGA are about? your intentions may be well meaning, but really, why not leave these things to the parties who have already established lines of communication with the Province?"

Because I CARE AND WANT MY KIDS AND GRAND KIDS TO HAVE A RESOURCE! Nobody "made me King".

If you don't like it, THEN DON'T PARTICIPATE!!

"This thread is not open for debate. There are many other threads to debate and bash on. Please respect all members and if you need to comment, comment on the POLL only and not the content."

Well you started that one off with a bang didn't you? Out of respect for the members I asked for a nice, calm, fun and informative poll. Obviously you don't understand the concept of RESPECT.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:24 PM

I didn't vote because I'm in favor of slot-sizes and you don't have that as an option.

Now if you had 1 pike under 25", 0 between 25"-36", and 1 over 36", I would have voted for that.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:43 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdfish View Post
I didn't vote because I'm in favor of slot-sizes and you don't have that as an option.

Now if you had 1 pike under 25", 0 between 25"-36", and 1 over 36", I would have voted for that.
Cool. That's fair. If results are overwhelming then I was going to further condense the POLL to include slots sizes within the most popular ranges. Thus I called it Poll A. I appreciate your input.

I'm remaining unbiased but I did get my one vote in.

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:18 PM

TR...

Interesting poll...thanks for posting. I am curious to see the results. Pdfish's post got me thinking when he/she talked about slot limits. I looked at their example and made me realize that there are two schools of thought on the matter: those that believe that the "mid-sized" fish are the prolific breeders and those that believe the big hens are the best spawners.

Now I am assuming that Pdfish subscribes to the first school of thought (and please correct me if am incorrect, Pdfish) because of the slot that they proposed. I am the exact opposite. I would like to let the little guys go so they can grow, the mid-sized ones are the keepers (maybe from, say, 22" - 36") and the big pike should be left to breed.

I voted for the closest option that you presented that mirrors my thoughts, but honestly...I would like a slot limit where the mid-sized ones are legal to keep.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:18 PM

I think it would be good if you could keep 2 between 20 and 25 inches. that way where not taking all the spawning ones, as well once fish reach the right size they can grow, breed and become trophies.
bh1
Old 02-08-2010, 06:26 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&7 View Post
TR...

Interesting poll...thanks for posting. I am curious to see the results. Pdfish's post got me thinking when he/she talked about slot limits. I looked at their example and made me realize that there are two schools of thought on the matter: those that believe that the "mid-sized" fish are the prolific breeders and those that believe the big hens are the best spawners.

Now I am assuming that Pdfish subscribes to the first school of thought (and please correct me if am incorrect, Pdfish) because of the slot that they proposed. I am the exact opposite. I would like to let the little guys go so they can grow, the mid-sized ones are the keepers (maybe from, say, 22" - 36") and the big pike should be left to breed.

I voted for the closest option that you presented that mirrors my thoughts, but honestly...I would like a slot limit where the mid-sized ones are legal to keep.

Just my 2 cents.
I'm keeping my opinion unbiased but I'm basically with you personally; but that's not what this is about so....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH1 View Post
I think it would be good if you could keep 2 between 20 and 25 inches. that way where not taking all the spawning ones, as well once fish reach the right size they can grow, breed and become trophies.
bh1
I hear you. Gonna give this poll a day or two then get into slot limits. That's why I called this poll A. Just starting it simple.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:32 PM

Default slot limits

Really there are choices of slot limits to a certain extent in the poll. I never anticipated that people would want something smaller than 25" but your comments are AWESOME!!!

The other thing is THINK THEY WOULD EVER ACTUALLY CONSIDER REDUCING THE MINIMUM SIZE?

WHO CAN TELL ME AT WHAT SIZE/AGE THE START SPAWNING AND DO THEY KEEP ON PRODUCING TILL THEY DIE?

I remember that post last week about how their quantity of eggs go up exponentially as they grow.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:38 PM

Default Did not vote

I did not vote, your options sound like a bureaucrat wrote them. For general regs you can only have a possession limit. I am in favor of having a slot system for the majority of the lakes. I like keeping pike over 63 cm, and under 8-10 lbs. its a great size for eating
Old 02-08-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderpride55 View Post
I did not vote, your options sound like a bureaucrat wrote them. For general regs you can only have a possession limit. I am in favor of having a slot system for the majority of the lakes. I like keeping pike over 63 cm, and under 8-10 lbs. its a great size for eating
Cool.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:45 PM

My wording's not perfect. I am genuinely interested in knowing what people think. I just don't have patience for people going 1 on 1 or ganging up on others in the forum. Doesn't make me right. That's just how I feel.

Positive or negative I appreciate your feedback though.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdfish View Post

I agree with this. If I remember last time fishing in Sask it is similar for their walleye and pike type regs. I could be wrong so the Sask members can enlighten me but I thought thats what they do in Sask. Slot-sizes.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
WHO CAN TELL ME AT WHAT SIZE/AGE THE START SPAWNING AND DO THEY KEEP ON PRODUCING TILL THEY DIE?

I remember that post last week about how their quantity of eggs go up exponentially as they grow.
According to my Lone Pine Publishing's Fish of Alberta

"Males mature in 3-5 years; females mature in 4-6 years; live up to 25 years.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:23 PM

why would anyone keep pike anyway? they don't taste bad but there are certainly better tasting fish out there that inhabit the same waters like walleye and perch.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:25 PM

They are a great game fish so why not make them catch and release only to bring the average size up? It did wonders for wabuman
Old 02-08-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Noel View Post
According to my Lone Pine Publishing's Fish of Alberta

"Males mature in 3-5 years; females mature in 4-6 years; live up to 25 years.
Thanks. It hard to detailed info on spawning.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.goldeye View Post
They are a great game fish so why not make them catch and release only to bring the average size up? It did wonders for wabuman
If only it was that simple. Everybody has a different opinion/practice but we all want to catch the trophy. I think that's why it's such a popular game fish. Because of their size and agressive nature their only threat is each other and humans. They rule any lake they inhabit; top of the food chain. So it's natural for people to want to keep them and eat them.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:44 PM

Default Pike size poll

I did not vote as I stay at a lake all summer that has a 3 fish limit no minimum size. The lake is full of 4 to 5 lb pike and I keep maybe 5 all summer long. the lakes I icefish have the same regulations. Better get with the real world if you dont think people would keep fish under 25 in. Piker
Old 02-08-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
Thanks. It hard to detailed info on spawning.
Anytime, TR.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
I did not vote as I stay at a lake all summer that has a 3 fish limit no minimum size. The lake is full of 4 to 5 lb pike and I keep maybe 5 all summer long. the lakes I icefish have the same regulations. Better get with the real world if you dont think people would keep fish under 25 in. Piker
Is that in Alberta? If so Northern or Southern. I don't know much. I've only fished 2 years in AB so I'm still a novice but fished all my life. I've discovered people would keep fish (Pike) under 25". I'm not against anyone, just trying to get a perspective on "the real world".
Old 02-09-2010, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&7 View Post
TR...

Just my 2 cents.
Your assumption is correct, I subscribe to the first school of thought. These measurements are only for the sake of making examples. The slot limit could be 22"-40", doesn't really matter, but by the time a hen has reached that size, she's a pretty big fish and has released a lot of eggs.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:37 AM
Gone Hunting

We need big apex predators in the water, in the West, that is the pike. Shut down all harvest on large pike, and begin the uphill battle of cleaning up some of the stunted pike fisheries we have, by opening a catch and keep on only small pike. Kill some of the overpopulation we have with the pike we are not able to keep right now. There are far too many big fish, the ones that regulate the entire fishery being killed. The result is a disaster. Question,,,, anyone ever seen what a healthy pike fishery is supposed to look like,,, ya know, with representation of all age classes and afew monsters in the mix??? Our pike waters are not supposed to be flooded with small fish. Sad sad sad. Close them, MAKE EVERYONE understand what the problems are with over harvest of anything, and introduce a new set of regs,,, LAKE SPECIFIC. How can a blanket set of regs work for all of Alberta's waters that hold pike????? ITS IMPOSSIBLE. Get some bio's out there, and get some sh*t done with this wreck of a province.

EDIT. Oh, and everyone concerned with the spawn, relax and stop thinking about your stomach's. If a flooded out stunted fishery that sees all species in an unhealthy state within the system is your goal,,,, youve already achieved it on accesible waters!!! Time for a new goal maybe????

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er

Last edited by packhuntr; 02-09-2010 at 06:46 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:15 AM

I think removing some of the pike out of alberta waters is a good thing as small perch and wallies will have a chance to grow and reproduce to provide for better fishing in general. Over the last 10 years these populations have decreased drasticaly. I think that as the pike populations have increased the others have decreased.

Just my 2 cents
Old 02-09-2010, 07:59 AM

Excellent post t.r.,
I voted on your first poll, will continue to watch with interest.Myself, I think minimum size limits would be the way to go.Leave the progressively better breeders to restock the waters.As far as a trophy, can they not make detailed reproductions from pictures and measurements now? The fish swims on, and you get a visual trophy for your home.Both sides win.IMO.
Have a good day
Ken
Old 02-09-2010, 09:31 AM

I think it should be like Saskatchewan keep 6, or even 5, but keep 5 and only one may exceed 71cm!!. It stupid why alberta allows u only to keep the older fish they are the ones who reproduce, keep the younger ones. under the reproduction age..
Old 02-09-2010, 11:20 AM

How can anyone compare Alberta's fisheries to say Saskatchewan? Look at the fishing pressure stats between the 2 provinces and then understand why our rules are the way they are.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:52 AM

Nice poll. I like the idea of releasing everything over 32 inches, but keep 3 of anything under for eating. They are great eating in the winter. bye