Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-02-2011, 11:52 PM

Default Electric ice auger

I have seen the movies on u- tube on how well an electric drill works on a ice auger,just wondering if anyone on this site has used one and how well it works when ice is thicker liker 2-3 feet?
Is it hard on the wrist ?
Is it safe ?
Would you go back to an gas auger ?
Whats the chance of the drill backing off and the auger falls threw the whole
Old 01-03-2011, 12:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I have seen the movies on u- tube on how well an electric drill works on a ice auger,just wondering if anyone on this site has used one and how well it works when ice is thicker liker 2-3 feet?
Is it hard on the wrist ?
Is it safe ?
Would you go back to an gas auger ?
Whats the chance of the drill backing off and the auger falls threw the whole
I have a 6" auger that I use a drill with most I've cut through with it is about 12" not to bad on wrist if you have a helper handle on your drill
Old 01-03-2011, 06:23 AM

Default Auger

Send Slingshotz a pm he has one. I have been out with him a couple of times when we have used his electric. His works pretty slick and is much lighter than my big gasser.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:36 AM

Last year I had a chance to use one of the ones that Ken fabbed up using a wheelchair motor I believe, and that thing rocked. It drilled a little slower than a gas auger, but had a snotload of torque and once it was going it really didn't slow down at all.

Wish I would have been in a position to buy one from him last year

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 01-03-2011, 09:14 AM

Are you referring to the kind that attach to the cordless drills, or dedicated electric battery ones like the "icegator".

I have a gator and i have holes drilled before gas augers are even started. I havent had any issues with deep ice as of yet.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:28 AM

Right now I have an electric auger that I run off of a car battery that I drag out on the lake , it runs very slow and can only drill 3 holes ( ice is about 15") ,would work much better if I could run it off my truck when its running ,but when snow is to deep or ice un- driveable ,its not a good system . Was thanking of converting this 8 inch auger over to a electric dewalt drill system.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:27 AM

The thing to note that is MOST IMPORTANT! Get a drill that has the highest torque rating. The dewalts 18 V drills have 350 torque rating which should be minimum used, some are higher (like the hammerdrill has 450). I think they have a 36 V that has 750 which could run anything! But that one probably is $400 so I'm not sure it's worth it.

Rigid has a 460 or 530 depending on model and is quite a bit cheaper. Don't use the cheap no name ones, they don't have enough power and you will burn out your drill. It doesn't work with mine which is an older ryobi that only has 230.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:53 AM

I should really get a drill set up. I have a really good drill to use so I would just need a cheap hand auger and the drill hook up. Would make the sled alot lighter on those days when I am at little lakes or looking for trout or perch.

Nate
Old 01-03-2011, 04:11 PM

I have a Rigid 18v drill with 2 batteries not sure of the torque. I am hopeing that this will be good enough, cause i just bought the bass pro shop 8" auger with the drill assembly. If any one has a set up close to the same or have any knowledge on it, please let me know if i made a mistake or how many holes you get off 2 batteries, maybe even length of time per hole just cause thats neat to hear and know. Thanks
Old 01-03-2011, 04:16 PM

You should be fine!
Old 01-03-2011, 04:28 PM

thx it seems you are the one to awnser most of my questions nicemustang. sorry there are so many but you gotta start sometime.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:53 PM

i made one out of a 6" swedebore hand auger, cut the handle off and fabbed up an attachment. I think I just need a better drill. It cut pretty quick for the first few inches, but then the drill just couldn't handle it (18V Cheapo Brand). I'm sure it'd work great with better drill than what I used. I can see it being faster than a gas auger, it worked pretty slick for the first little bit. Plus then you have a drill handy for predrilling holes for ice tent pegs
Old 01-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Banned

Run mine with a DeWalt 18v its a 6" auger cuts through 12 -14" of ice faster than my 10" gas does.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg auger1.jpg (139.1 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg auger2.jpg (145.2 KB, 86 views)
Old 01-03-2011, 04:59 PM

I watched a few vids on Youtube regarding using a drill with an auger.
One dude recommended not using less than a 24volt; he seemed to know what he was talking about???
Old 01-03-2011, 06:49 PM

If you go with a power drill you should probably stick with a 6" or smaller auger. It should be fine for early season ice but I doubt it could handle it when the ice gets to 2ft thick.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:58 PM

Nice set up horsetrader,see you but an extra handle on the auger,does one need that extra handle.

I have a lot of shims under my ice blades ,would you recommend having less shims, so there would be less torque and more cutting speed.

Last edited by -JR-; 01-03-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:06 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Run mine with a DeWalt 18v its a 6" auger cuts through 12 -14" of ice faster than my 10" gas does.
That extra handle would also keep you from losing the auger down the hole as well I'm betting
Old 01-03-2011, 07:59 PM

I took my shims off, and put on brand new blades for the first test, on a 6", and it still was too much for my drill. An 8" with shims would probably require a LOT of torque. 6" to 8" is a big difference.

hmmm. I need to find a good drill on sale!
Old 01-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Nice set up horsetrader,see you but an extra handle on the auger,does one need that extra handle.

I have a lot of shims under my ice blades ,would you recommend having less shims, so there would be less torque and more cutting speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
That extra handle would also keep you from losing the auger down the hole as well I'm betting
The extra handle helps start the hole the 6" does not have a spike to keep it in one place when starting and your right bug it allso keeps it from falling down the hole. Once you are a few inches down then use handle on drill take pressure off wrist. I would play with the shims a little if you have trouble with auger binding.I set my drill on low speed high torque
Old 01-03-2011, 10:29 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Smile

I've heard of people losing the auger part when drilling through, some thirty pound test and a good magnet from Princess Auto would come in handy
An extension using 1/4 threaded rod instead of just a bolt and nut to keep the adapter on the auger, just make sure it's wider than the auger and it will keep the auger from going through the ice as well, just put rubber or wood ends on it to keep it from snagging your clothes
Old 01-03-2011, 10:39 PM

I just bought the assembly to attach a hand auger to a cordless drill from bass pro shop and how it works is the assembly attaches to the drill through the chuck but also has a cord to go around the drill and the assembly is bolted to the auger. so if the chuck does loosen and the assembly falls out it will still be attached to the drill. the only problem would be if you have really bad luck and it all falls apart and you drop your drill down the hole.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:51 AM

Would an impact not have more torque for this and be better?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMorrocco View Post
Probably, check the specs.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMorrocco View Post
You would want to make sure the impact is not to strong and dulls the blade banging against the ice
Old 01-04-2011, 10:39 AM

tried 18V RIDGID with 6" auger on Spray in January 2010.....
last only 6 feet of ice @-18C (2 holes).....
Old 01-04-2011, 07:07 PM

today at gull lake I tried my new set up. It is a ridgid 18v with batteries about 3 years old' a 8" bass pro brand hand auger with the drill bit assembly from bass pro. first battery drilled 4 holes, first 2 were done fast in under a min, 3rd hole struggled at the very end and the 4th hole really struggled at the end, still did them in a minute thirty though. 2nd battery drilled 4 holes, fast under a min and the 5th hole struggled a bit, but still had enough power i think to do another hole maybe 2. All in all, did the job for me today but if you move around a lot save for a gas power. If funds are low like mine were after christmas this was the way to go . If you do it this way my advice would be drill your holes almost completly but save the last bit to do by hand it will save your battery in the long run and you will get many more holes from your drill. The ice was 21" thick
Old 01-04-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementzero View Post
today at gull lake I tried my new set up. It is a ridgid 18v with batteries about 3 years old' a 8" bass pro brand hand auger with the drill bit assembly from bass pro. first battery drilled 4 holes, first 2 were done fast in under a min, 3rd hole struggled at the very end and the 4th hole really struggled at the end, still did them in a minute thirty though. 2nd battery drilled 4 holes, fast under a min and the 5th hole struggled a bit, but still had enough power i think to do another hole maybe 2. All in all, did the job for me today but if you move around a lot save for a gas power. If funds are low like mine were after christmas this was the way to go . If you do it this way my advice would be drill your holes almost completly but save the last bit to do by hand it will save your battery in the long run and you will get many more holes from your drill. The ice was 21" thick
good detailed post...thanks
Old 01-04-2011, 07:16 PM

no prob
Old 01-04-2011, 07:47 PM

Cool. If the fishing is good that may be all the holes you need.

Just take the muscle drive adapter with you as well in case you run out of battery power.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:38 PM

I have made several electric ice augers, and lots of adapters. If anyone needs a custom adapter made, I will do it for the cost of material, likely $5.00 or so, and shipping, another $5.00-$10.00 in the mail.

I just need the I/D of the particular ice auger you want to use. I turn them on the lathe out of steel, but can do aluminum as well. Aluminum is easier for you to finish, you have to drill a hole through to hold it to the auger, very simple. Also, you can just make a little loop out of wire or a coathanger, if the auger falls off it wont go through the ice.

I have seen an adapter for sale at Canadian Tire, but of course they only had 1.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 01-04-2011 at 09:02 PM.