Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-23-2010, 05:13 PM

Default 20 gauge steel and pheasants

I've got a 20 gauge browning citori that is a beautiful gun for upland hunting and am certain that it dispatches pheasants under the present regulations that allows me to use lead.

Problem is.....I know its coming...lead free upland hunting. When it will happen I don't know? It will happen though.

I'm not worried about the 12 ga with steel and I know the pricey non toxic alternatives will work but has anyone used any 20 ga steel loads with good success? I don't want my beauty little gun to sit back door to the 12 because of steel.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:16 PM

As long as it patterns steel well, and you do some homework on load choice you'll be fine.
FWIW: Lots of pheasents have fallen to good shooting guns in 28ga and .410 bore.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-23-2010, 05:22 PM

Catnthehat uses a 20gauge for ducks and geese quite successfully,and he uses steel.If a 20gauge will kill ducks and geese with steel,it will surely kill pheasants.
I just bought a new Citori myself,but it came with both 12ga and 20ga barrels,so I have the option of using either depending on the conditions.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 01-23-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:35 PM

I've got a few 12 gauges to pick up as well. I'd really rather not if I don't have to though. Love the balance and feel of that light 20 gauge.

Right now I've got some #3 and #4's to pattern and I guess I'll "wing" it from there.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:48 PM
Gone Hunting

I have heard that steel can do some damage to over and under and side by side guns (guns with two barrels attached to each other) depending on how they are choked. Is that what you are asking about?

The 20 ga. and steel should be fine for the killing birds end of things.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 01-23-2010, 06:52 PM

Not worried about damaging my guns, they are made for it. Just wondering what loads people have used in steel.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
I've got a few 12 gauges to pick up as well. I'd really rather not if I don't have to though. Love the balance and feel of that light 20 gauge.

Right now I've got some #3 and #4's to pattern and I guess I'll "wing" it from there.
My 20 gauge O/U is made by FAIR ( Isadoro Rizzini) and is proofed for steel loads.
If your browning has chrome lined bores I'm sure it is okay with steel as well, but I would check with Browning , for sure.
2 3/4" Federal premium #4's kick the bejeepers out of geese and ducks, so I can't see a problem with pheasants - I use a 28 gauge for them however.
I have also used Kent Fassteel 3" #2's , as well as winchester dri-loc 2's .
The federal and the Kkent give me the best patterns.
I also use a wide open choke for my steel, cylinder/improved cylinder .

I have also used impcyl/mod choke combinations, but have found that the modified choke does not pattern as well in my guns due to the chaotic effect of steel when it is choked, that is why i use the open chokes, and the results in the field bore this out last year , with my son's 12 gauge pump as well.

Cat
Old 01-23-2010, 07:10 PM

The gun is a 2009 Citori White lightning with invector plus choke system. I double checked, its fine for steel.

The steel loads I have are the 3" kent faststeel 7/8 ounce #3's and #4's. I will pattern in the next few weeks.

Might need to get some chokes for it though. I've only got imp, mod and full. Usually shoot imp in the bottom and mod in the top. We'll see.....
Old 01-23-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
The gun is a 2009 Citori White lightning with invector plus choke system. I double checked, its fine for steel.

The steel loads I have are the 3" kent faststeel 7/8 ounce #3's and #4's. I will pattern in the next few weeks.

Might need to get some chokes for it though. I've only got imp, mod and full. Usually shoot imp in the bottom and mod in the top. We'll see.....
Give George Trulock a call, he can give you solid advice on choke tubes!
http://www.trulockchokes.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi
His extended precision hunter chokes are about $110 a pair delivered to Canada
Cat
Old 01-23-2010, 09:10 PM

Thanks for the link Cat. I`ll look into them.