Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2008, 12:17 AM

Default Long drive tips?

Guys I have a long drive this sunday fro Edmonton to The Pas in Manitoba. I'd like to make it in one day. Anything new out there with all these energy drinks on the market that can help keep a guy going a few extra hours?
Thanks Greg
Old 05-28-2008, 12:57 AM

My method,
Satellite radio, a good nights sleep, and the 5 hour energy drink. It works for me and does not give me the jitteres caffine does. That and if my mind wanders at the wheel even a bit, I find somewhere to pull over and sleep for 20mins to 2 hours. Then hit a 5 hour energy and I am good to go for a long time again. Taking the nap on the road is just wonders in really long trips.

But watch out that method can scare the #$&% out of you. If you pass out on the side of the road with the engine running to keep you warm. A big truck blasts by and shakes you up a bit. I have woken up in the middle of a dream, smashing the brakes, swinging the steering wheel back and fourth thinking I just fell asleep at the wheel, and am about to crash. Only to find out I am in park, not moving.

After you clean your pants out, that method is better then any energy drink
Old 05-28-2008, 01:44 AM

I liked Baulde's trick, but pants can begin to run in short supply!

I have tied into many long road trips, longest being 28 hours.

A good night's rest the night before is the first easy essential.
Spearmint gum works when you start to get tired, just keep chewing it. Once you stop chewing - lights out.
After that try sun flower seeds, and a coffee cup to spit them in!
Put on a good tune and belt your voice out! Callin' Baton Rouge, or Hurtin' Albertan are surefire gooders!
An apple will keep you awake longer than a coffee and it is not a diuretic.
Crank the driver side window all the way down. You will not fall asleep with that screaming in one ear and not the other.

When you get into the 12-14 hour range; stop every hour or as needed and get out of your vehicle. Stretch, drain, Take your jacket, overshirt off. The change in temperature will help.... briefly.

When you start seeing things running out of the ditch that are not there, stop. This is my alarm that I am either nucking futs, or just too tired. A nap for 2 hours will do WONDERS. I drove from Dickinson North Dakota to Victoria BC in under 24, only going ten over. The ticket? Slept huge the night before, kept my meals small and regular, and threw in the two hour nap.

I have tried the 5 hour energy drinks, the redbulls, the XXTREMME WAKE UP coffee's. I was losing efficiency by having to stop and drain every 40 minutes.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:36 AM

I agree with a lot of what has been said, I do a fair bit of long distance driving and for me it is lots of load music (with me screaming along), plenty of coffee, eat often and get out of the truck every two hours for a stretch and a look around.

My main thing though is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

When my mind starts to wonder I just pull up and have a kip, 15 minutes to a couple of hours. Either way it is better than coming a cropper.

At any rate, have a safe trip, you don't wanna end up like this poor dude

Cheers Noel
Old 05-28-2008, 07:18 AM

The only thing I would not reccomend is the 5 hour energy drink. No problem the first 5 hours but I thought I was having a heart attack coming off of the stuff! Worse than the shakes, thought I was going to faint.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:39 AM

satellite radio.. preferably Sirius. and just keep flickin channels. Comedy channels will keep you laughing, Howard Stern's channels are funny and make a guy shake his head quite a bit..
Old 05-28-2008, 07:46 AM

For non-caffeine type options, I find that eating sunflower seeds works the best for me. I'm not sure if it's the mouth movement or the seeds themselves, but they are always a guaranteed solution for me.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:16 AM

Lots of tooth picks, gum, loud music and the rockstar sugar free energy drinks (blue can) that worked for me when I drove to Regina last October but that was only 7.5 hour drive but still long enough.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:21 AM

Stay away from carbs so easy on the burgers. Keep your meals small, just snack the whole way. Fruit and veggies are good. Jerky in very small amounts. That much protein will sit in your tummy like a sleepstone. Drink lots of water but easy on the fruit juices. They make your blood sugar spike then drop too fast. If you are truly a caffeine junkie and really need a pick up, chocolate covered coffee beans will work but you will crash on it eventually.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:21 AM

I'll be making my trip from Thunder Bay to Edmonton this weekend. I've done it 3 times now and I find it is important to get out and stretch a bit. Take that nap when you know its time, don't push it. It seems I usually hit that phase just as I'm crossing from Manitoba into Sask. Slept in a parking lot of three different towns now!
Old 05-28-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
Guys I have a long drive this sunday fro Edmonton to The Pas in Manitoba. I'd like to make it in one day. Anything new out there with all these energy drinks on the market that can help keep a guy going a few extra hours?
Thanks Greg
Don't know the route that would take you there...............I drove Edmonton to Winnipeg frequently in 13 hrs...............drove to The Pas from Winnipeg....whats that; 8 hours? Sounds like about a 3 doz apple trip for me. You can fall asleep while driving, but it takes a real tired man to fall asleep while he is eatin' . Drive safe. If there is any way you can stretch that out into 2 days.....that would be a good thing...........or take a couple hours off and crash (not to be taken literally). You are going to be bagged the next day anyway. Start off Sat evening maybe and drive a few hundred before stopping for the night.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:24 AM

I wouldn't recommend any of the energy drinks. There is a reason they are being banned from many major company work sites. The side effects are horrible and put yourself and other motorists at risk. Sleep lots and munch on light stuff the whole time. Try oranges and other fruits. Natural sugars are more easily used by the body.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:32 AM

apples are a great tip....they keep ya awake while eating them and give ya good little boost after.

spitz help me as well....as does singing the best tunes i can find...i also try to play little trivia games with myself......look for different plates and try to remember what the catch phase is on them etc......i also try to calculate the time it takes me to go specific distances....mental games keep me awake.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Gone Hunting

Default tripping

I stay away from the energy drinks. I like coffee and rather than a thermos, I buy at service stop. Gives me an excuse to get out and see the local wildlife I have a cooler woth lots of fruit, like grapes and citrus, apples, veggies, nuts [pistachios].

AND WHEN I FEEL DOZY, I PULL OVER FOR A POWER NAP. I hate to waste all the time I made by sitting upside down in the ditch or en route to the hospital.

Sometimes that nap is only 10-15 minutes or maybe a half hour. Seldom longer than a stop for a dirt burger in the truck stop, and better for you. I keep my meals small or not at all with all the snacks I have.

Stopping on the side of the highway and stretching also helps. Satellite radio is great. I also try to make a mental list of people that need killing,...... oh did I say killing? I meant rehabilitation.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-28-2008, 09:59 AM

Default Ideas

Thanks for all the great tips, as a 50 plus guy, maybe I'll avoid those energy drinks and give the apples the acid test. FS
Old 05-28-2008, 10:04 AM

i like to eat any fruit or whatever that keeps my mouth moving...fresh cherries with a cup to spit the pits in are good at keeping me occupied.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:21 AM

Pick up a hitcher, you won't fall asleep I can garuntee you that.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:34 AM

The only thing that is really safe is to pull over and have a nap, you would be amazed at how much better you will feel with a 15 minute nap and then get out of your vehicle and throw some rocks. This will get the blood flowing again. I put on about 70,000km a year and do this on a regular basis. Do lots of long trips and never had a close call.

When I was younger I could very well have been that poor guy in the video!

Hope this helps.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:46 AM

damn that video is scary.....wow...

throwing rocks..that is an awesome idea....
Old 05-28-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern_Hunting_Mom View Post
Stay away from carbs so easy on the burgers. Keep your meals small, just snack the whole way. Fruit and veggies are good. Jerky in very small amounts. That much protein will sit in your tummy like a sleepstone. Drink lots of water but easy on the fruit juices. They make your blood sugar spike then drop too fast. If you are truly a caffeine junkie and really need a pick up, chocolate covered coffee beans will work but you will crash on it eventually.

Best advice given in my opinion. Must be a nurse or nutritionist. This is also very good advice for the hunter. What Hunting mom has given us is a recipee to stay awake and alert all day while on stand.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:51 AM

I used to make the drive from Toronto to Calgary with only a couple breaks for naps. I'd make the drive in about two days. Best advice is to drink lots of cold water and eat lots of fruit and veggies. That way you don't crash like you would with caffeine or energy drinks. Also, drinking lots of water makes you have to stop to go to the washroom, which was usually what helped keep me awake. Open the window at night when it's cold, run the AC during the day when it's hot. The cooler I was the more awake I stayed. When I couldn't take it anymore I'd stop and nap for an hour or so. Also helps to listen to energetic music
Old 05-28-2008, 12:36 PM

drink water, and eat light. No heavy foods like breads and greasy meats. Pack rolled up lunch meat, salads, etc.

i drive winnipeg without even blinking, ive even done my shift at work, came home picked up the family and off to winnipeg. it helps if your used to driving

if your in need of a pick up, go to shoppers drug mart and buy "Wake ups" with the rooster on the bottle.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:04 PM
KyleM

One major huge thing I would suggest, purchasing some aftermarket light kits for your vehicle. When you get tired you start seeing things and having good lighting is an amazing help.

I found the worst of my trips was going through Texas at night.
The interstate is so long and boring, no lines, upcomming overpasses would cause me to hammer on the brakes.

I have made a few trips from Toronto to Grande Prairie
and Toronto to Southern California...I aways like to take the North of Superior route through Thungina Gay
Old 05-28-2008, 06:27 PM
-TROUT-

I always used those cafffine pills caleld "wake-ups* you can buy at iga, or any drug store....worked good for me and never goth te shakes
Old 05-29-2008, 07:38 AM

Default Sat radio....

For sure with the satalite radio,the only one is serius and you have to listen to the BUBBA THE LOVE SPONGE SHOW on howard 101 from 1-5 in the afternoon....gee you think Id get paid for an ad like that but it is the best show on the radio...
Old 06-01-2008, 08:15 PM

Look up my ex-wife and take her along .... that woman can talk non-stop Calgary to Toronto no problem!

One thing I've found is that a lot of people start rubbing the back of their head - just before nodding off at the wheel. If you find yourself doing that - pull over for a power nap.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:31 PM

Default spitz

sunflower seads buddy, sunflower seads keep you up for 3 days but your mouth feels like ****.

Brad
Old 06-01-2008, 11:47 PM

Talking Dill Pickle Spitz!!

I use Sunflower seeds......like everyone else who has posted!! I find it works better than caffeine drinks for me ~!!!!!
Old 06-02-2008, 01:18 AM

I work days and nights so my sleep schedual is all over the map. My days off are no better. Likely average like 4 hours of sleep per day. When I go fishing on the lake it from like 3 am to midnight, no jokes, no naps and its usually post all nighter in order to get to the lake after work. But when It comes to driving I need extra help. When I'm fishing, it doesn't take much to keep me up, likely a coffee or energy drink in the early morn to get me focused.

On the road, I'll use the wake up's and/or energy drinks. Them 5 hour energys don't do much if anything for me. They still have caffeine and taurine like all the other drinks. Rockstars are my favorite, blue ones have no sugar, orange ones that claim 70 % real fruit juice. I find it realy depends on your tollerance and if your used to it these things could keep you up for days (not recomended). I've heard that that weight loss stuff ephedrin can keep you up long time but not sure how safe/smart it is. Other than that I keep busy, eating (spitz and spitstachios), drinking (non-alc), singing, POUND that stereo, smoking (don't smoke it's bad for you), conversation even if your alone lol. Like everyone else said take a nap if it's necessary. I pulled over twice one time this winter on my way back from the lake after an all nighter and 20 + hours of fishing. You'll know if you need to pull over and when the sand man comes at you from the ditch you had better be pulled over. Stopping to stretch and walk around the car makes a monster difference. LOVE the THROWING ROCKS IDEA and will be using it soon.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:52 PM

Take a tennis ball or a squeeze type forearm excerciser. It'll stop you from nodding off by keeping up your heart rate. Just remember to change hands or you'll end up looking like a "lonely guy".