Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-20-2017, 01:14 PM

Default Proposed coal mine near confluence of Ram Rivers.

Folks,

Just west of Rough Creek an abandoned Shell Oil well drilling site road has even reopened to allow access for operations of Ram River Coal.

Ram River has a web site.

It would appear like both sides of the Ram's are to be mined.

Here are some things from the site:

Ram coal

https://www.ramcoal.com

https://www.ramcoal.com/assets/docs/...rev-7-full.pdf

The Ram River Property, as defined in the Technical Report, Ram River Coal, Property, Alberta by Norwest in 2014, is composed of the North and South blocks. The North Block bifurcates from the South Block, with the North Block, measuring approximately 15 km in length and 3.5 km in width and with the South Block measuring, approximately 14 km at its longest point and 2.7 km at its widest point.

Note:
This coal deposit has been the subject of previous attempts to become commercial. In the early '70's the access trail along the north Ram was built for drilling. According to the crew, everywhere they stuck a drill there was coal.

Will it happen now - who knows.

Don
Old 09-21-2017, 08:07 AM

If they take the required steps to protect the watershed and create jobs for 33 years as mentioned it looks good for Alberta.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-21-2017, 08:11 AM

Good news indeed. Have not heard any ramblings on the proposed mine at corkscrew mountain lately. Be another project I'd like to see happen in the future.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:31 AM

We do not need any more coal mines. They have caused terrible damage to the Upper McLeod, Embarras and Athabasca River systems. Then the mines go bankrupt, close down, change ownership. What about Obed Mountain, billion liters of sludge going down Apetowun Creek. We end up with permanently altered watersheds, then the jobs are gone. Go to Tumbler Ridge and see what a vibrant community it is now. But thats OK when it starts up again they will fly in the Chinese temporary workers.

Wap
Old 09-21-2017, 10:10 PM

Awesome good news! Great to hear something positive and most of the local people are going to see lots of benefits. Coal mining pays better than selling bundles of wood to fisherman.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
If they take the required steps to protect the watershed and create jobs for 33 years as mentioned it looks good for Alberta.
The required steps There is the linchpin the project hangs on.

Selenium and coal. A good read https://wernerantweiler.ca/blog.php?item=2015-02-07

Deadly to trout and people in high concentrations.

Issues exist with selenium in the mines south of Hinton.

However, nitrogen based fertizlers increase water productivity. Think Micheal Creek in SE BC.

Don
Old 09-22-2017, 08:51 AM

Selenium has also been shown to decrease time to exhaustion in trout muscle. That's probably why those Michele creek Cutts roll over and give up so quickly (that and being caught 25x a season)
Old 09-22-2017, 11:08 AM

Think that mine at Grassy Mountain will ever go? I don't. They were doing something up there this summer.........don't know what. Coreholes perhaps??

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com

Last edited by honda450; 09-22-2017 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:23 PM
Banned

Boo! Tri creeks watershed, Luscar creek trapper creek all negatively impacted by coal mining. Luscar used to run black into the Pembina. 75% of Alberta has coal base certainly they can find less ecologically sensitive areas to do this!
Old 09-22-2017, 12:26 PM

I hope this dose not happen it will kill the area
Old 09-22-2017, 02:37 PM

I use to go into the confluence quite often back in the mid '90's to 2005. It's a rugged area with Elk, Moose, Bighorn Sheep, Mule Deer, Whitetail, Bear, Cougar etc. It is a beautiful part of the country. Sure hope they don't screw it up. Logging in the area wasn't substantial back then, and the river held lots of cutthroat. Beautiful spot.

BW
Old 07-29-2020, 02:46 PM
Suspended User

Default Bump

Will the mining companies allow access and let you in? Just asking for a friend he wants to go slay some cutthroats and since we aren't caring about that area any longer I figured that's as good of a spot as any.
After all these decades of looking after them we might as well go chuck some hooks. All that babying them in the 90's seems like a waste now, but might as well spend a bit of covid time and see what happens. If the resources in the foothills are only treated as a commodity, why not go used some of those natural resources for myself.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:38 PM

Why would we want another coal mine? They are barely economically feasible now days ("let's get rich shipping coal to China" lol) and they have a very large environmental impact.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Coal/Coa...y-Is-Dead.html

To do this right next to the best cutthroat stream in the province is a terrible idea. We've been trading the environment for jobs for quite a long time now and we've pretty much out of stuff to give away. A great trout stream for a few jobs (and a private mining company will net all the profits) in an unstable industry seems like a really bad trade. Like Doug Gilmour for Gary Leeman level bad.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:13 AM

Not too shocking. As I said before....they didn't lift the ban on open pit coal mining because it was "redundant". They lifted it because they wanted it to happen and looks like it will. Nothing but lies from Nixon...

https://thetyee.ca/News/2020/08/12/A...d-Coal-Mining/

J
Old 08-15-2020, 07:23 AM

What must be considered is the economic impact over time. Presently, people Come from near and far to fish the river. I’ve meet people from all over the US and even some from Europe.
The mine puts this all at risk.
The river will be an economic impact for hundreds of years, the mine, maybe 30.
And then there is the cleanup which based on Alberta’s history will be shovelled onto the taxpayer.
Short term thinking and exploitation destroying long term economic benefit.

Don
Old 08-15-2020, 10:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokey75 View Post
They lifted it because they wanted it to happen and looks like it will.
Good!
Old 08-15-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Good!
?
Could you please elaborate...
Old 08-15-2020, 03:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodfisher View Post
?
Could you please elaborate...
Elaborate on what. Pretty sure my response is clear as a bell.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Elaborate on what. Pretty sure my response is clear as a bell.
Please elaborate on why you think it is "good"...to use your term...
Old 08-15-2020, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Good!
I was more hoping for the long rumoured mine at corkscrew mountain. Would sure be a much needed economic boost for the area. Bonus would be getting rid of that road going over the top
Old 08-15-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dielbo View Post
Why would we want another coal mine? They are barely economically feasible now days ("let's get rich shipping coal to China" lol) and they have a very large environmental impact.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Coal/Coa...y-Is-Dead.html

To do this right next to the best cutthroat stream in the province is a terrible idea. We've been trading the environment for jobs for quite a long time now and we've pretty much out of stuff to give away. A great trout stream for a few jobs (and a private mining company will net all the profits) in an unstable industry seems like a really bad trade. Like Doug Gilmour for Gary Leeman level bad.
Your link does not provide the data you want it to provide. The link talks to thermal coal profitability. Ram River is a coking coal mine. Do you know the difference between coking coal and thermal coal? Last I saw, coking coal was valued more than 3 times that of thermal coal. Steel cannot be made without coking coal. From the spoon you feed yourself with to the truck you drive, needed coking coal.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Your link does not provide the data you want it to provide. The link talks to thermal coal profitability. Ram River is a coking coal mine. Do you know the difference between coking coal and thermal coal? Last I saw, coking coal was valued more than 3 times that of thermal coal. Steel cannot be made without coking coal. From the spoon you feed yourself with to the truck you drive, needed coking coal.

The same people who say oil is dead, do not understand we use oil for manufacturing. But who wants facts now adays.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:

The same people who say oil is dead, do not understand we use oil for manufacturing. But who wants facts now adays.
Old 08-16-2020, 01:58 PM

Unlike BC, the rocky mountains in Alberta amounts to only 7.5% of Alberta. Which makes those areas special, at least to me(probably alot of others too).

Should leave the mountain areas alone, we have so little of it as it is!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 08-16-2020, 02:55 PM

Perfect let Australian companies come in and profit by demolishing the rockies only to have them profit by shipping it to china. Its not going to be a economic boost for us and we'll see minimal money from it, much of the work being done as is, is by people that worked on mines in BC
Old 08-16-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjolg123 View Post
Perfect let Australian companies come in and profit by demolishing the rockies only to have them profit by shipping it to china. Its not going to be a economic boost for us and we'll see minimal money from it, much of the work being done as is, is by people that worked on mines in BC
Why comment on something you know nothing about? Ram River Coal Corp is a private Canadian company. The rest of your comments are equally lacking.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Why comment on something you know nothing about? Ram River Coal Corp is a private Canadian company. The rest of your comments are equally lacking.
It's already happening in the old man Tek same company in BC from Australia. Workers doing the roads from bc. Thanks for coming out

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk