Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-05-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggun View Post
I have been thinking about getting a hunting rifle to replace my old Marlin 336 and I was wondering about some of the offerings that are semi automatic. It seems like almost everything is bolt action. That makes sense from a reliability standpoint, but, I am still kind of thinking I want something for a faster follow up shot.

What are any opinions on the semi automatics currently on the market?

I really don't want something that looks too "assault rifle". Not that it is so important to me, but, governments have a tendency to want to put yet more regulations on such things.

I am thinking about the Remington 750 in 30-06.

.... Why would you need a fast follow-up shot?! Don't you know everything drops instantly the first time you shoot it?! Well... It does if you're shooting A bolt action!

The Benelli R1 is a nice rig. You can't get it in 270 win but you can get it in 30-06.. IMO it's less complicated and easier to clean compared to the Browning BAR. I've never had any issues with it being outside all day at -20°C. G96 Will be your best friend in that regard - Just don't leave it soaking wet when you put it back together. Can't really complain about the accuracy, I think it Looks and feels great.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:30 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. I have heard a lot of good things about the Benelli (even if it does look a little strange).

Perhaps I will have to reevaluate my thinking on bolt action rifles.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:02 PM

I've never shot a Benneli , but know lots of guys that used the older Browning BAR's and loved them,
Accurate rifles
Cat
Old 05-05-2016, 03:12 PM

I have had some experience with some Remington 742's. They seemed to had parts that would wear and cause function issues at a fairly low round count. Accuracy and handling was decent though.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:13 PM

Wink

SKS!!!!
(Just kidding)
Old 05-05-2016, 09:56 PM

I recommend the Remington 760/ 7600, I own a few of them and they operate great! Accurate as can be and don't let you down. I've never had problems that wasn't a no brainer fix. Mag doesn't work for instance. Buy the right mag for it.

Pumps are the way to go!

Redneck
Old 05-06-2016, 12:12 PM

I used to own a Browning BAR in .270 WIN. it was a Belgian to. It was a good rifle, I look back now and wish I hadn't sold it. A wee bit on the heavy side but I liked it. Bought it when I was 23. I thought wow, this will be cool if I ever need a follow up shot. All I ever shot with it was deer and it only ever took one shot to seal the deal. Another nice feature of it was it had a detachable magazine which was nice. Accuracy was pretty good. I could hit an 8" plate out to 300 meters with 130 gr pills which was good enough for me mind you the longest shot I ever put the smack down on anything with it was about 150 give or a take a yard or two. All but that one were under 100.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:20 PM

Location: In the woods, but close enough that I can swing by Cabelas once in a while.

I think the best semi auto rifles are military designs. Reliability is unmatched, but they are never light and not for everyone.
I've used a Norinco M14 on deer since 1999 and never missed a deer with it. I've missed my share, but not with that rifle, just lucky a couple times and it is a straight shooter.
I certainly didn't choose it expecting to get multiple shots off and to be honest I don't think a Lee Enfield cycles much slower in the right hands.
The traditional scoped bolt action hunting rifle just bores me which is why I'm in the woods with an M14, assorted Lever guns, shotguns or a muzzle loader.

Just my semi auto hunting experience.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:43 PM

Just back from a bit of practice with my bush carry deer semi. M1 30 Carbine loaded with 110 gr soft points. No need for follow-up shots but one is in the pipe in short order. 2 MOA red dot for quick acquisition. About 5.5 lbs all in.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
The all time best semi auto hunting rifle is a Remington 7600 Pump

The BAR's are ok, but most are on the heavy side, accuracy can range from good, to worse. Do you love cleaning overly complicated guns? Do you reload, if so, you'll very likely need small base dies to ensure function. If you absolutely have to have a semi, I'd go BAR, or Benelli. The 7600 is better then both, and has the Fudd factor in spades. Also probably wont be on the Liberals list of hatred.

The 7600 triggers, can be tuned pretty nice as well, try tuning a semi's trigger.

Oh ps, if you still can't tell what I think, get a 7600.

since when is a pump action semiauto?

ok so semi: browning bar, sks, m1a, norinco m305 (in boyds stock), maybe a bcl 102 but it is a "black rifle" there are a bunch of "tacticool"
Old 09-16-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stustage View Post
since when is a pump action semiauto?

ok so semi: browning bar, sks, m1a, norinco m305 (in boyds stock), maybe a bcl 102 but it is a "black rifle" there are a bunch of "tacticool"
You're abilities to decerne a satirical reply elude you.

All that aside.

My suggestion would be.

Skip the semi, go get a 76/7600 or a BLR, maybe even a gently used 99, or 88 as well. Or you could up your practice and confidence and just buy a nice Ruger #1, and be done with it.

Did I mention Prophet River still has some .275 Rigby #1's left

There are no absolutes
Old 09-16-2017, 04:04 PM

I will be using my BCL 102 this season for Deer if it shows up in time.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
I will be using my BCL 102 this season for Deer if it shows up in time.
Same here. Already have a trigger and some other goodies for mine. Can't wait for it to arrive!
Old 09-16-2017, 04:41 PM

I've always hunted with bolts or levers but that new Browning Bar Mk III is one sweet looking unit if looks count for anything.

http://www.browning.com/products/fir...ar-mark-3.html
Old 09-16-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytop B View Post
Same here. Already have a trigger and some other goodies for mine. Can't wait for it to arrive!
I got a triggertech AR15 trigger and a flash hider to replace the muzzle brake. Just need an optic and should be good to go
Old 09-16-2017, 05:23 PM

Alberta tactical modern hunter would be great if your wallet is getting to heavy and pulling your pants down. Remington r25 could work out if you can find one or there is the mini 30 and the greasy but popular sks.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:27 PM

Those older bars have been around for decades and cycle very well, a bolt will always be my first choice,but a guy shots what he likes and i have zero problems going out hunting with a semi auto,either one if it goes wrong on the first shot things will or may go sideways.
If your first shot doesn't hit where you want your poi then your second shot can be even worst and if the second doesn't hit right I would stop shooting,your cold shot is your main shot,semi or bolt or whatever your using something is wrong or you got bad buck fever and no gun can be blamed for bad nerves.Most guys that hunt with a single shot get the job done on there first try and there's a good reason for that,they never think of a second shot and are very confident in there marksmanship and same has to be applied for any type of rifle.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Alberta tactical modern hunter would be great if your wallet is getting to heavy and pulling your pants down. Remington r25 could work out if you can find one or there is the mini 30 and the greasy but popular sks.
R-25 is restricted unfortunately but would be a great choice if not

I had a couple seasons with a Remington semi auto and found it to be annoying after the first shot which was all i usually needed always had to unload it and it was noisy to rack when I happened upon a critter it was a good rifle and got me meat but ill never ho back to one
Old 09-16-2017, 08:09 PM

Rem 742 3006 was a great rifle, never failed me, kept it clean and only used factory ammo. But I never needed the quick second shot, so I traded it on a B-78 3006, and I loved that one too.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogslayer403 View Post
R-25 is restricted unfortunately but would be a great choice if not

I had a couple seasons with a Remington semi auto and found it to be annoying after the first shot which was all i usually needed always had to unload it and it was noisy to rack when I happened upon a critter it was a good rifle and got me meat but ill never ho back to one
That explains why I can never find a r-25 thanks for the heads up
Old 09-17-2017, 03:40 AM

Default Benelli

I'd go with the Benelli if I were to go the semi auto route.
There's a 30/06 in the buy and sell. Price seems good.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:12 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
SKS, 5 quick shots and a bayonet to finish the job.
Throw in a combat death scream as you make your final approach....

OP I would buy a nice lever, 45-70, Marlin to compliment your older Marlin.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-19-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
I got a triggertech AR15 trigger and a flash hider to replace the muzzle brake. Just need an optic and should be good to go
Think I might barrel one for 6.5x47L
Old 09-19-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Throw in a combat death scream as you make your final approach....

Watching the first 2 episodes of Ken Burns and Lynn Novack's "Vietnam", I agree, the death scream would add a touch of WTF! to the hunt.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:28 PM

My go to is a 1968 BAR in 30-06

I find it accurate and well balanced. If it is heavy i do not notice it.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:49 PM

Default 760 / 7600 Rem or a BLR

We live in Alberta, obviously!!!

Some of us hunt down to -30 C some seasons, sometimes getting out of a warm truck with a warm rifle.

Some of us hunt in Swan Hills Gumbo that claims the lives of anything mechanical, especially in the rain.

Back in the late 70's I worked with a hard living, hard hunting hard drinking, harder drinking, hardest drinking man at the Westgate Coop: Irv Lorenz.

He lived for hunting moose, and always used a Remington 760 in 30.06. In his life somewhere around 30 moose, a lot more deer, etc.

I'm on my third. They do shoot 3 inch groups out at 300 yards, easily 1 - 2 inch at 100 & 200 yards. Your eye is always on the scope, your finger is always on the trigger, and you re load in an instant. The barrels are on "hangers" so are not easily replaced, which is fine for most users.

Problem with Semis is they can jam up when wet, cold, greasy, dirty. The Pump does not jam up.

Why Remington does not produce a magnum lineup in the 7600 is beyond me. Why they don't do a stainless version is strange as well.

I hand load a 165 grain Hornady BTSP with Winchester 760 at 2900 fps. The barrels are somewhat shorter on the Remington 7600, but it groups very very well with this load combo.

Use new brass for hunting loads and if your brass is starting to stretch on reloading, toss it. Pumps do not have the same cam action of a bolt, and like a Semi, you don't want to fight getting a spent round out of the gun when hunting. However, the rotating lug on the 7600 seats a bullet very nicely, and you will be pleased with the results.

Drewski
Old 09-20-2017, 12:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
We live in Alberta, obviously!!!

Some of us hunt down to -30 C some seasons, sometimes getting out of a warm truck with a warm rifle.

Some of us hunt in Swan Hills Gumbo that claims the lives of anything mechanical, especially in the rain.

Back in the late 70's I worked with a hard living, hard hunting hard drinking, harder drinking, hardest drinking man at the Westgate Coop: Irv Lorenz.

He lived for hunting moose, and always used a Remington 760 in 30.06. In his life somewhere around 30 moose, a lot more deer, etc.

I'm on my third. They do shoot 3 inch groups out at 300 yards, easily 1 - 2 inch at 100 & 200 yards. Your eye is always on the scope, your finger is always on the trigger, and you re load in an instant. The barrels are on "hangers" so are not easily replaced, which is fine for most users.

Problem with Semis is they can jam up when wet, cold, greasy, dirty. The Pump does not jam up.

Why Remington does not produce a magnum lineup in the 7600 is beyond me. Why they don't do a stainless version is strange as well.

I hand load a 165 grain Hornady BTSP with Winchester 760 at 2900 fps. The barrels are somewhat shorter on the Remington 7600, but it groups very very well with this load combo.

Use new brass for hunting loads and if your brass is starting to stretch on reloading, toss it. Pumps do not have the same cam action of a bolt, and like a Semi, you don't want to fight getting a spent round out of the gun when hunting. However, the rotating lug on the 7600 seats a bullet very nicely, and you will be pleased with the results.

Drewski
I bought my first Rem Pump in 30-06 about 45 years ago and have bought 2 more over the years since then. Still have all of them and 2 still get used on a regular basis. Great rifle IMO.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:26 AM

I hunt with a Browning BAR in ,300 win mag for @17 years and I've taken many deer n bear with it. Rain , snow, sleet and cold never a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2017, 09:36 AM

exactly why would you need more then one shot??
if you practice at the range enough
one shot is all you truly need, anything else is just for people who don't have confidence in their shooting skills IMHO
get a B78 browning or a Ruger number one
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 09-23-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_wiesel View Post
exactly why would you need more then one shot??

if you practice at the range enough

one shot is all you truly need, anything else is just for people who don't have confidence in their shooting skills IMHO

get a B78 browning or a Ruger number one

How many bullets do you take afield? One? Most of my game has been one shot kills but not all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk