Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2017, 08:19 AM
AO Sponsor

Default Last Nights Waterton Prairie Fire

This is not fact, but is the story on the ground from farmers/ranchers battling the fire.

Sounds like some really, really smart Parks Canada people tried a controlled burn yesterday, this is unofficial but what locals are saying.

An uncontrolled burn in tinder box dry condition with a very strong west wind, right next to sections upon sections of tinder box dry, tall dead prairie grass

If this is true; Brings about a whole new meaning to the word, STUPID!!!!!!!

Numerous ranches lost. One in existense 160 years

100 horses dead on one ranch, many cattle herds burned to death.

Locals up all night pushing cattle down to the river in hopes of cows saving themselves when the flames come thru.

Red ash raining down from the fire great distances from the burn.

It's an unbelievable mess.

One plus... there is an army of men in black and many others on the ground battling the fire and moving very expensive farm equipment away.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:28 AM
Banned

When they stated they wanted to try to burn away the fuel that would allow the fire to reach the townsite I kind of shook my head when I noticed how windy it was.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:31 AM

Apparently, JT and his cabinet are only "learning" about Waterton this morning at their "Ministerial Retreat" in Newfoundland (per Global News). Quebec gets a snow storm and half of Canada's military shows up to help shovel....southern Alberta burns....meh
Old 09-12-2017, 08:58 AM

This is nuts.

Haven't seen anything on the news yet about properties or herds, but I wouldn't doubt it.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:33 AM

I wonder if this is just a malicious rumour-nothing about it on news reports we've been following to now?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 09-12-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
I wonder if this is just a malicious rumour-nothing about it on news reports we've been following to now?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They were talking about doing back burns last night on the news, but I haven't seen anything verified about homes or livestock being harmed. That said, the media isn't always accurate....
Old 09-12-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
That said, the media isn't always accurate....
And neither are farmers/ranchers..

Not pointing fingers, I just don't believe 3rd hand stories, specifically when there is an emotional & stressful situation currently happening.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
And neither are farmers/ranchers..

Not pointing fingers, I just don't believe 3rd hand stories, specifically when there is an emotional & stressful situation currently happening.
Yep, agreed. I did see some posts on FB from some locals looking for help with stock trailers and looking for someone to board their horses.

Sent a text to a rancher friend of mine who is just north of Pincher Creek, haven't heard back from him yet.

Just hope everyone can stay safe.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:21 AM

I just spoke to a good friend there, he was on horseback moving cattle as he has a large herd right on the park border. He said that the wind had dropped off, and was even blowing a bit from east so that was a bit of good news. He couldn't say what was going on big picture, as it seems to be a gong show right now. He had heard about the back burn but couldn't confirm it. he told me to call back later this afternoon for update. Lots of rumors but he is busy moving cattle so can't take time to worry about what has all happened.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-12-2017, 12:12 PM

Waterton fire as of 8 am this morning from about 25 km away at Waterton Colony.

Old 09-12-2017, 12:20 PM

Not only Waterton. Fire came off of CFB Suffield over night and burnt down a ranch house near Bindloss. Lots of prairie burnt. Crazy dry weather.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:21 PM

Those with Facebook a short vid from the top of the valley above Waterton Colony
https://www.facebook.com/10001022886...5418083142483/

When I left this morning the wind had shifted and was staring to push the fire back on itself
Old 09-12-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
When I left this morning the wind had shifted and was staring to push the fire back on itself
That's what I heard as well. This time of year, that is almost unheard of, so a small break there.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-12-2017, 12:50 PM

parks visitor center has burnt to the ground. Not sure of any other buildings.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:08 PM
AO Sponsor

I can't tell you for certain if it's true or not, govt and media often cover things up. I sure hope that if it is true that people responsible are held accountable and not just get a simple "youve been a bad little boy/girl/X"
Old 09-12-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
I can't tell you for certain if it's true or not, govt and media often cover things up. I sure hope that if it is true that people responsible are held accountable and not just get a simple "youve been a bad little boy/girl/X"
.. including going after locals who may have flicked a smoke on some dry grass, or driven their truck in tall dry grass, that may have started this all.

One thing you have to remember is, the majority of those fighting the fires are volunteers, and usually giving up years off their life (as well as risking their lives) to save other's material belongings.

At the end of the day, everything will and can be replaced except for lives.

What if the alleged "controlled burn" saved all those animals/properties/etc.

Having a witch hunt solves nothing, It won't bring things back.
Fire is an unpredictable bitch, you never know what it is going to do, specifically when you mix in the crazy winds of SW AB/SE BC.

We can keyboard warrior all day long. Just realize, there are 3 sides to every story, and lets hope everyone gets out safe.

Don't get me wrong, I feel extremely bad for the people that have lost things, but they are just that.. Things.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:08 PM

After living down the road from Banff for 40+ years you tend to get used to the inane bureaucracy of unelected officials and the power that they actually have. I would bet even money that scheduled prescribed burns will take place this fall even after the major fires are out. Drove hwy 93 from Radium to Castle Junction a couple of weeks ago, the fire in 2003 combined now with the Verdant Creek fire is shocking to see but hey gotta get those pine beetles and all the nonsmokers in southern Alberta can smoke a pack a day just going outside.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
.. including going after locals who may have flicked a smoke on some dry grass, or driven their truck in tall dry grass, that may have started this all.

I heard on the news a day or so ago that there have been almost 50 fires started on the Blood Reserve alone this summer.

Pretty obvious that locals are just as prone to start a fire as lightning.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:40 PM

The neighbouring communities locals' are no slouches at catching things on fire either, not that it's difficult to get a fire started this Summer. https://highriveronline.com/local/fi...illow-creek-md
Old 09-12-2017, 03:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandHeart View Post
The neighbouring communities locals' are no slouches at catching things on fire either, not that it's difficult to get a fire started this Summer. https://highriveronline.com/local/fi...illow-creek-md
From the article,
Quote:
They also had a call from a rancher who was out on his horse and when the shoes on the horse clicked together a spark resulted in a small fire that he was able to get out.
It is obvious we need a horse ban.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:09 PM

Angry

I personally do not think someone should post a bunch of admitted rumours. It is not helpful!! We have a lot of friends down there, and Waterton is our favorite place, and it is heartbreaking enough to see what is happening via the media, and social media like Facebook especially. Certain things are true: the visitor centre has burned down, Alpine Stables also. Three ranches that I know of, two have some buildings left, horses OK, cows OK. Doubtless more ranches have suffered ( and will), but I haven't seen any posts about them yet. A lot of people moved their herds out already to safer places. Doubtless more tragic news will unfold as the day goes along. Embers from the fire started many other fires, and they could not fight it at night so of course it ballooned into a monster last night. I take my hat off to the men and women out there now fighting this fire. I don't think the OP is a professional firefighter, but I find it amazing how many armchair experts pop up in a time of crisis and tragedy.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 09-12-2017, 04:14 PM

Completely agree ^^^. It makes me sick and sad all at the same time that this beautiful area has been impacted. I'm sure the wildlife has been impacted terribly as well.

I agree that we need to be careful not to be armchair quarterbacks. But, I also think that its okay to ask questions of our officials and get answers that we are satisfied with. I really hope that this isn't a case of governments not being able to work together and a lack of decision when it mattered (e.g. before the fire rounded the corner and came in at Cameron). Time will tell. I reserve judgement until then.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:35 PM

Default C'mon!

Quote:
This is not fact, but is the story on the ground from farmers/ranchers battling the fire.

Sounds like some really, really smart Parks Canada people tried a controlled burn yesterday, this is unofficial but what locals are saying.

An uncontrolled burn in tinder box dry condition with a very strong west wind, right next to sections upon sections of tinder box dry, tall dead prairie grass

Locals up all night pushing cattle down to the river in hopes of cows saving themselves when the flames come thru.

One plus... there is an army of men in black and many others on the ground battling the fire and moving very expensive farm equipment away.

All this post does is stir things up right in the middle of a crisis.

And you are getting this stuff second hand.

Not classy at all.

If you aren't going to offer help or prayers at this stage. Please keep your bi&$&@ng to yourself.

It doesn't matter if your right or wrong at this point.

It doesn't help.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 09-12-2017, 04:40 PM

I get a little upset when the media will not portray the whole story in the news. I was meeting my parents in Brooks to pick up my kids that spent the last week in Medicine Hat on August 18. I happened to come across a ditch fire in two seperate areas about a mile apart. At the time I thought for sure it was an errant cigarette thrown out but wondered why the fires were seperate. I then stumbled on the second ditch fire and noticed a semi trailer tire blown in the middle of the road beside the fire. Everyone jumps to the conclusion of the start of a fire but never know how it actually happened. To this day, I read the Medicine Hat news and Brooks Bulletin on this specific fire and they have no clue how it started. My Dad actually drove from the Hat to meet me and had seen the Semi driver in the shop getting his tire replaced soon after....
Old 09-12-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:

We need these 'smart' park officials removed at once. And sent to the willmore.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:11 PM
AO Sponsor

Don't miss my key words...

Quote:
This is not fact...

If this is true...

I think they call the guys battling the fire and moving the livestock etc to safety, I think they call that ground zero (in other crisis')
That's where I get my minformation from.

Also, my intent is not malicious. It is for concern for the same affected people's, livestocks, wildlife, land/environment; for the next time this happens in the future.

Last edited by Marty S; 09-12-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
The opposite to fact is fiction.
So how about we prevent conflict and end the conversation until the facts come out?
Old 09-12-2017, 05:23 PM
AO Sponsor

Yes, my desire is for the facts to come out, and to do what I can to ensure that happens.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I heard that rumor this morning at Waterton Colony as well. I replied that I heard much the same rumor during the Granum fire of 1997 which was flat out BS. Ever wonder how far out in the prairie a burning ember blown off the top of a mountain by an 80-90 kph wind could land and start a fire. Embers in the Granum fire on flat land was lighting fires 500 metres ahead of the fire front.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:27 PM

If they had been allowed to do more strip logging like the Star Creek research site on the B.C. side this fire might have been stopped before it became a beast. All those conservation groups who tell us controlled burning is the way to go in the future should look at the Waterton fire and rethink their theories.