Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
Anyone remember them at Barotto's and Frenchies? That was a long time ago. On the corner of 9 ave and 8 street in Inglewood.
I remember walking in there as a 14 yr old boy from Med. Hat. I was used to Mcleod's and Woolworth sporting goods dept. I kept saying to my Dad, I hear angels. My gawd that first visit left an impression on a small town boy, I went there every chance I got.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-14-2017, 04:12 PM

Default email sent to UFA share holders...

this sucks they always had the best pricing..

email sent to UFA share holders...

IMPORTANT UFA NETWORK ANNOUNCEMENT
September 14, 2017
At 3:00 PM (MST) today, together with our Board of Directors, our co-operative will issue a news release announcing that we are conducting an orderly wind down of Wholesale Sports Canada Ltd. ("Wholesale Sports") business.

While UFA is showing strong financial results, we would like to stress that this was an all-inclusive business decision that, while difficult, was made in the best interest of UFA on behalf of our members. Numerous external factors that led to this decision; including an increasingly competitive environment, the continued shift to on-line purchases and an overall slowing of consumer discretionary spending as a whole, including the outdoor industry. As a result, it was decided that the orderly wind down of Wholesale Sports was required to allow UFA to focus on its core business of agriculture and petroleum.

Today there was a UFA senior leader at each of our Wholesale Sports locations to ensure there is an orderly process and so that everyone gets questions answered and knows the next steps in this process. We will treat all of our affected UFA and Wholesale Sports' employees with utmost respect during this difficult transition, and we have taken steps to support our affected employees and to try and lessen the impact of the closures.

To maintain order and process today and out of respect for your fellow team members, we ask that you please do not engage on social media, so that our management teams in place today have the first opportunity to work with each affected employee personally.

As a reminder, the news release will be posted today at 3:00 PM (MST). Shortly after that time you will receive a letter, and an article will be posted to our Intranet to further explain this orderly wind down.
Once again, please know that this difficult business decision was made in the best interest of our members and the co-operative.

Kindest Regards,

Carol Kitchen
UFA President / Chief Executive Officer

Kevin Hoppins
UFA Chairman of the Board
Old 09-14-2017, 04:15 PM

Default game over

I got the same email

IMPORTANT UFA NETWORK ANNOUNCEMENT

September 14, 2017

At 3:00 PM (MST) today, together with our Board of Directors, our co-operative will issue a news release announcing that we are conducting an orderly wind down of Wholesale Sports Canada Ltd. ("Wholesale Sports") business.

While UFA is showing strong financial results, we would like to stress that this was an all-inclusive business decision that, while difficult, was made in the best interest of UFA on behalf of our members. Numerous external factors that led to this decision; including an increasingly competitive environment, the continued shift to on-line purchases and an overall slowing of consumer discretionary spending as a whole, including the outdoor industry. As a result, it was decided that the orderly wind down of Wholesale Sports was required to allow UFA to focus on its core business of agriculture and petroleum.

Today there was a UFA senior leader at each of our Wholesale Sports locations to ensure there is an orderly process and so that everyone gets questions answered and knows the next steps in this process. We will treat all of our affected UFA and Wholesale Sports' employees with utmost respect during this difficult transition, and we have taken steps to support our affected employees and to try and lessen the impact of the closures.

To maintain order and process today and out of respect for your fellow team members, we ask that you please do not engage on social media, so that our management teams in place today have the first opportunity to work with each affected employee personally.

As a reminder, the news release will be posted today at 3:00 PM (MST). Shortly after that time you will receive a letter, and an article will be posted to our Intranet to further explain this orderly wind down.

Once again, please know that this difficult business decision was made in the best interest of our members and the co-operative.

Kindest Regards,

Carol Kitchen
UFA President / Chief Executive Officer

Kevin Hoppins
UFA Chairman of the Board

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-14-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgvande View Post
I called. Got the outgoing message that they are having a liquidation 30% off
Select items or storewide?
Old 09-14-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. awesome View Post
Select items or storewide?
I think you should ask to change your handle to "Captain Oblivious". It hasn't even been an hour - do you think we all magically know how they will run the clearance sale?
Old 09-14-2017, 04:40 PM

Unhappy Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post

I got the same email

So did I

Selkirk
Old 09-14-2017, 04:42 PM

Terrible news. Cabela's will tear us a new one and we won't be able to go elsewhere.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:43 PM

website has the liquidation details now, nothing special.

I'll wait to see if the discounts get better.

Sad to see them closing, bought my first couple guns there. But its not surprising to see it happen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (78.5 KB, 169 views)
Old 09-14-2017, 04:48 PM

Arrow It's in the news media now

Calgary Herald news article ... http://calgaryherald.com/business/lo...western-canada

Selkirk
Old 09-14-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanyhobbies View Post
I think you should ask to change your handle to "Captain Oblivious". It hasn't even been an hour - do you think we all magically know how they will run the clearance sale?
Doesn't hurt to ask , You never know who has some extra info about it .
Old 09-14-2017, 04:53 PM
Banned

damn bought my first rifle there. gonna have to stop in after work tomorrow.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:53 PM

How is fishin hole doing?
Old 09-14-2017, 04:56 PM

I have to admit, I'm a bit bummed. I always enjoyed shopping there, and got some amazing deals, even special consideration that they didn't have to give me, but did anyway.

My sympathies to the employees, this will be hard for them.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:58 PM
Banned

Dang nabbitt! I shouldn't have waited, now not sure if they will have what I need. Hopefully some of the guns will be discounted, maybe watetfowl stuff
Old 09-14-2017, 04:59 PM

Well I guess I know where I'll be going tomorrow for decoys!
Old 09-14-2017, 05:00 PM

Default Long ago and far away

Us real old timers remember when Barottos was in the westend of downtown Calgary before it moved in with Frenchys in Inglewood.!
Old 09-14-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
Dang nabbitt! I shouldn't have waited, now not sure if they will have what I need. Hopefully some of the guns will be discounted, maybe watetfowl stuff
The add posted a couple threads up says firearms and ammunition excluded. May see a discounted firearm near the end if they don't sell them all. I will be going to use up my gift card.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:09 PM
Banned

Default Poorly Run

Barrotos was great on 9th ave. Wish it would have stayed that way. Guncraft too on Edmonton Trail in Cowtown.

http://infotel.ca/newsitem/wholesale...siness/it46107
Old 09-14-2017, 05:13 PM

Business opportunity for those that have wanted to run a store!
Old 09-14-2017, 05:19 PM
Banned

I for one will be sorry to see it WSS close. I didn't always buy my gear there, but it helped keep prices down overall among all sports stores.
At least Bass Pro is comming soon.

Last edited by waterninja; 09-14-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:20 PM

Yea not very good yet
Old 09-14-2017, 05:29 PM

When Russell's was still around, I preferred it to WSS. I felt that the staff was knowledgeable and willing to help. When Russell's closed down, some staff ended up at WSS, with a couple staff members eventually ending up at Cabela's and Fly's.

To me, the staff and the service that they provide are the most important things. IMO, the guys that worked at Russel's and moved on to WSS, were awesome. They provided top notch service. Several of the other current WSS staff were also excellent and took pride in their jobs.

I really feel sorry for the employees at WSS and truly hope that they can land on their feet.

Last edited by Big Sky; 09-14-2017 at 05:39 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 09-14-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by korie83 View Post

Sad to see them closing, bought my first couple guns there. But its not surprising to see it happen.
The operative words here are "up to" 30% off. I'm guessing the cheap high mark up items will have the heaviest discount
- Ill leave it a few weeks before checking out the Leupolds

Best wishes and luck to employees
Old 09-14-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post

Us real old timers remember when Barottos was in the westend of downtown Calgary before it moved in with Frenchys in Inglewood.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post

Barrotos was great on 9th ave. Wish it would have stayed that way. Guncraft too on Edmonton Trail in Cowtown.

Yup, I remember them all, very well! And don't forget Russell's Sports too!

Now we have to add Wholesale Sports to that list of Calgary area hunting & fishing stores, gone by the wayside.

Selkirk

Last edited by Selkirk; 09-14-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
Anyone remember them at Barotto's and Frenchies? That was a long time ago. On the corner of 9 ave and 8 street in Inglewood.
Yep! Remember Barotto's when Barry Deakin and Otto Krumes started it in SW Calgary. When Barry and Otto were killed in an auto accident the widows sold the store to the Butlers who also bought Frenchies. The Butlers built it up to a chain of about 5 stores before they sold it to UFA.

WSS has been in a down hill slide ever since and there have been rumors of financial troubles ever since.

Not surprised!
Old 09-14-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trogdortheburninator View Post
Chainwide closures, staff given notice, it's the end of an era. Apparently liquidation begins in the next few days.

Sad day for Albertans and all Western Canadians that bought their first piece of hunting or fishing gear here.
Has anyone apologized to this troll^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 09-14-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
So did I
Selkirk
You should post it as well!

Old 09-14-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by korie83 View Post

Do you have a link. There regular web site is gone.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:19 PM

You could see someting was going to happen. 2 WSS and 2 Cabelas in Edmonton? I knew when the second Cabelas opened they were trying to sqeeze out WSS. Not much trafic in any of the stores lately at least not like it used to be...remember back when there was only the one WSS on 97th. **** I hated that place, it be so buisy and the were the only game in town so they treated every one like ****. Having to stand in line to buy a box of bullets? Finaly get called and stand there with your hat in your hand..M..mmm...may I get one box of Hornady interlocks Pppplease??? Then the guy behind the counter would roll his eyes let out a sigh and walk into the back for the 700th time that day to get a little red box. Retarded!! and now it sure bit them in the ASS!!!
Old 09-14-2017, 06:23 PM

Default wholesale sports is closeing

it was on the news said all stores are closeing liguitation
starts Friday