Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2017, 06:27 PM

Default Calgary or Okotoks?

I am set to move to Calgary this fall. Does anyone live in Okotoks and commute?
Is it still a buyers Market?
Old 09-20-2017, 08:15 PM

From what I've seen, I'm not a real estate agent, but I haven't seen Okotoks as a buyers market for a while.

Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."
Old 09-21-2017, 08:34 AM

Default Moving

A lot depends where you're coming from. Friends there tell us the local authorities have a major fifo complex.
Though it's a minor detail, I keep hearing water pressure so low in residential houses and they are tagged with a pressure reducer you can't remove. Slow to fill kettle and no way 2 showers run at the same time.
And apparently parking bylaws and enforcement are worse than Calgary's.

What I have been told. Maybe someone who has moved from Calgary to Okotoks will chime in.

Geo
Old 09-21-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinklerdog View Post
A lot depends where you're coming from. Friends there tell us the local authorities have a major fifo complex.
Though it's a minor detail, I keep hearing water pressure so low in residential houses and they are tagged with a pressure reducer you can't remove. Slow to fill kettle and no way 2 showers run at the same time.
And apparently parking bylaws and enforcement are worse than Calgary's.

What I have been told. Maybe someone who has moved from Calgary to Okotoks will chime in.

Geo
We moved from Calgary to Okotoks 3 years ago and we wouldn't go back. I cant say I've had any issues with local authorities (what ever that means) the water pressure in our house is fine, lots of times there are 2 showers running, and I cant say I've ever had an issue with parking bylaws either. As far as I can tell the rules are very similar to Calgary.

All that aside Okotoks is a great spot to live. The sheep river runs right through town and offers great opportunity to get out and fish, swim or float down the river right in your back yard.

Commuting isn't bad depending on where and when your going. I head into Calgary daily but leave around 6AM. My commute downtown takes 45 min.

Hope some of this helps
Old 09-21-2017, 09:43 AM

Make sure you figure out if you are moving there for the right reasons.

This is all hearsay, but housing prices are close to calgary prices, especially when you factor in property taxes, and then the extra time/wear on vehicles if you are travelling to downtown calgary.

Don't get me wrong, we like okotoks (we don't live there, although we considered it), but the extra commuting time wasn't worth it. Funny part is, I live in Cranston.
while Alpinebeers is correct, on a regular day, it will only take you 45mins to get to downtown if you leave early (it's only 25 for me) @ 6am. but the ride home, is much longer. It takes me 45 to get home, so more like the 60mins to get to okotoks. Now here's the thing, that would be on an Average day, ie, no snow/rain/traffic issues/etc. The problem with any of deep calgary, there are limited access points across the river/fishcreek. If deerfoot is fubared, well, there's really only Mcleod/37th/52nd. Well. 52nd isn't an option, as that's a mess on a good day, 37th will be amid construction for the next 6-7 years, so..

Anyways. My point being, make sure you do your research on all faucets..

Another thing, if you have kids, they'll be travelling the same to post secondary, so that means more cars/etc.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:13 AM

We lived in Okotoks for along time and moved to Calgary. Was tired of the high taxes and getting nothing for ur money it seemed. The crappy water restrictions in the summer and the big **** off for me was the fact they were going to restrict the growth of the town due to water supply issues but then recinded that and let it boom. Money talks I guess...
Old 09-21-2017, 02:29 PM

Airdrie, lower prices than Calgary and no issues with water. Great place especially for young families.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:28 PM

High River is another great spot. dyke is almost finished so no more flooding and its dirt cheap
Old 09-21-2017, 10:25 PM

Moved to okotoks 9 years ago from Calgary. Won't be going back. No big reason, just a number of little ones. I lived all over deep south Calgary (Mckenzie towne, Mckenzie Lake, somerset, evergreen) seemed like everywhere I wanted to go took 20-30mins of driving. I can get to all the same places here in 5-10. Fishing the sheep is great, so is taking the kids down the last few years, biking and walking the path system (Calgary has lots too but they were always crowded), I enjoy walking the number of festivals they have on Elizabeth st throughout the summer (again no driving for a half hour and looking for parking for another half hour). For a town of 27,000 it feels a lot smaller.
I used to commute to south Calgary everyday for work. Took about 20-30 mins, sometimes more if it was during the rush. But it was worth it in my books.
Everyone's different obviously but those little things are why I enjoy it out here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2017, 11:27 PM

Thanks everyone! Alot to consider.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:54 AM

Exclamation Think again !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallardMan View Post
Thanks everyone! Alot to consider.
Hardly! They just scraped the surface!

Think of all the areas Inside Calgary, and ALL the outlying areas/places to consider (Cochrane, Airdrie, Strathmore, Langdon, Bragg Creek, High River, etc., ...).

If all you've come up with is Calgary (in general) and Okotoks, your homework has just begun !
Old 09-22-2017, 07:26 AM

IMO it depends on where you or your spouse works.

When I was transferred to Calgary, new office was downtown. I was tired of commuting having worked in Toronto for many years. I picked a neighborhood
where I could get to work and back home in reasonable time.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
IMO it depends on where you or your spouse works.

When I was transferred to Calgary, new office was downtown. I was tired of commuting having worked in Toronto for many years. I picked a neighborhood
where I could get to work and back home in reasonable time.
Agreed.

It's different for every person. For me, Living in the burbs, is worth it, as I use the commute to get caught up on phone calls (yes I use proper bluetooth/etc.), and also use it as "my time" to de-stress.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallardMan View Post
I am set to move to Calgary this fall. Does anyone live in Okotoks and commute?
Is it still a buyers Market?
Buyers Market? Just scratching surface. Prices are holding constant, slight drop in the last 4 years. Interest rates are climbing (two so far this year, likely third in Oct or Dec.), Fed want to normalize at 3-4% (according to Janet Yellen yesterday). Means BOC will follow suit. Therefore cheap money is over, bank rates will be 4.5-6% by 2020. Plus Feds will be adding Stress tests this year for each individual with new mortgage plus Commodity prices still muted. Adds less population will be able to afford a home.House prices have one way to go. Down. Catch a falling knife.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:13 AM

Exclamation Wow !!!

Three days into this thread now, and still no word from long-time Okotoks resident and AO forum member; Okotokian

In the past, Okie would never pass up an opportunity to chat it up, on a subject like this!
Old 09-23-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
Three days into this thread now, and still no word from long-time Okotoks resident and AO forum member; Okotokian

In the past, Okie would never pass up an opportunity to chat it up, on a subject like this!
Havent noticed any posts for him for a while. Hope all is well and he is just out fishing or hunting.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.