Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-21-2017, 03:08 PM

Default Reloading Bench Size

I am thinking about starting to reload my own ammo. Reloading inside the house is not going to happen so I am out in the garage.

Now, I am not keen on giving up existing work bench space to do this so I was thinking a wheeled work bench with a flat top would be the way to go. Something that I could use than wheel out of the way when I am finished, just like I do with my tool boxes. I do not think I will be using it that often so what to keep it to a minimum.

What is a good size to start with? Is 30" x 18" (or 36" x 18) enough space to mount everything. I really do not have a clue how much space is needed.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:10 PM

I'm using the corner of my garage. I'm about 8' along one wall and 4' down the next. I feel I still need more space.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:14 PM

Same here. 8'x4'. Smaller would be even busier. The gun table is nice for many activities. I have the press tucked all the way to the left for my right handed working.

When Im actually loading and nothing else involved, i have my stuff spread over 4' x 4'.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:23 PM

72"x30" will work, as long as you've got storage underneath, and perhaps something above, like a pegboard with those hang on plastic bins with the slash mouth.

I wouldn't run a case tumbler anywhere near my loading bench tough, run it on your regular old bench, it can be stored under the loading bench when not in use.

You also have to consider storage for your powder and primers too.

Check out this PDF.

http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/benchnrma.pdf

There are no absolutes
Old 09-21-2017, 03:27 PM

I bought a bench from Costco. It should be here today and I'll set it up and see how it does tonight.

https://m.costco.ca/Vancouver-Classi...100084114.html

You could probably put castors on the bottom to roll it around if you want
Old 09-25-2017, 08:41 PM

I renovated my kitchen and reused my cabinets in my garage. It's a pretty sweet set up. I used 3/4" plywood for the counter and doubled the thickness where my press is mounted. I did another addition at the end for my other press just haven't mounted it yet.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:58 PM
Banned

I have an L shaped bench that's 24" wide, 8' long down one side and 6' long down the other, and at times it's still not big enough! Build it as big as you can.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:37 PM

with a bench mounted press i would be worried about something that small on rollers or castors not staying where you want it while resizing cases or the cabinet nearly tipping over unless you weigh it down. That being said i have a completely mobile reloading setup, and use a hand press for all my re-sizing and seating and have never had a problem. it may not be quite as efficient as some setups, but it works for me until i have somewhere i can build the bench setup i want
Old 09-26-2017, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post

I have an L shaped bench that's 24" wide, 8' long down one side and 6' long down the other, and at times it's still not big enough! Build it as big as you can.
Never clean your guns on the same bench you reload your ammo on!

There are no absolutes
Old 09-26-2017, 04:19 AM

Main bench is 72x30

Keeping equiptment within arms reach no matter the step you are at, is the key to getting and keeping a good rythem to your process.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 09-26-2017 at 04:25 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:34 AM

For the basics of reloading you do not need a lot of space but you need a solid mount for the press as there is quite a bit of force applied to the press
Old 09-26-2017, 09:37 AM

The size of the bench depends on the volume of reloading I suppose. Mine is only 24"x48". It doesn't get too busy and I am able to walk around it as it is not up against a wall. I have everything separated as well. Book shelf with dies and other accessories. powder and primers and brass are all stored in another area. Shoot me a PM and I can send you a picture of what my set up is.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:32 AM

Best advice is to fit it to the space you have available. Storage is the biggest issue with reloading. You need a place for the bullets, dies, shell holders and myriad other bits and pieces you need in reloading. A set of book shelves and small cubby holes works great for storing those things not in use.

If you are limited in space, you can put your presses on quick release bolts so you can have them up when needed and down when not. Full time mount is more convenient but only if you have the room.

Keep you loaded ammo, powder and primers in a separate locked container or closest away from you reloading room and as far from the furnace and electrical room as you can get them.

When I started out I lived in a small apartment and the fully outfitted loading set up I had at my Dad's was too far away. Got a Rock Chucker press to use in the Apartment. First bench was the Kitchen table I used for meals. I drilled four holes, reinforced the area with 3/4" plywood and used bolts and wing nuts to mount the press to the table. I put some some bookshelves in a closet for storage. This was a LONG time ago, so powder, primers ammo and relaoding gear were all in that same set of bookshelves. Could set up and be loading in 5 minutes.