Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2019, 08:58 AM

I have a restricted pal but do not own a handgun. The way the laws are written in this country we effectively already have a handgun ban. You can't take one anywhere you can't shoot one anywhere other than a certified range. The gov't (Lie'berals) I am sure is well aware that a handgun ban will do absolutely nothing to enhance public safety, but it will get them votes in the cities and that is what really matters to them. They could not possibly care less about the citizens of this country that don't vote for them. They care about 3 things ,votes , tax base and idiots who give them money(useful idiots)
Old 05-20-2019, 09:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon444 View Post
Done,

However I support it and voted yes. Honestly dont see the use for them other than harm.
Do you hunt?
Every year people are killed in hunting accidents. As long as there is a grocery store within driving distance there is no reason for you to hunt...so I guess you have no issue giving up your hunting rifle or goose gun?
Old 05-20-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Done,

However I support it and voted yes. Honestly dont see the use for them other than harm.
You must need a visit to the eye doctor. Myopic much? How about collecting, competition, plinking, or just because....

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWCalgary View Post
You must need a visit to the eye doctor. Myopic much? How about collecting, competition, plinking, or just because....

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
They still have handgun events at the Olympics, never mind several different kinds of target competitions across Canada.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:28 AM

Default Final result

Do you support a national handgun ban?
Yes
1542 (28 %)

No
4058 (72 %)
Old 05-20-2019, 10:34 AM

If prosecutors didn’t plead out firearms charges for guilty pleas on other offenses as often as they do this wouldn’t even be an issue. Keep the baddies in jail and leaves the law abiding alone.

I would really like to make it mandatory for the government to collect and compile statistics about firearm charges that are plead out. We know how much of a cluster&@$k the courts are when it comes to drug dealers, sociopaths and junkies.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Done,

Do research before you vote on anything.

Cowboy Action shooting is the fastest shooting sport in North America. You need two single action revolvers, a shotgun and a lever action rifle in pistol calibre. It's also the most fun you can have with your pants on.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
They still have handgun events at the Olympics, never mind several different kinds of target competitions across Canada.
Its my opinion and others may differ. But there is no practical need for a handgun. They do more harm than good in my opinion.

Long guns serve a purpose and i believe handguns do not.

Its my opinion and i respect yours.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Its my opinion and others may differ. But there is no practical need for a handgun. They do more harm than good in my opinion.

I agree... I see no use for rifles either. I am purely a Shotgun guy. Lets ban everything I don't use.

Come on Brendon. How is that possibly fair? There is want for them to some Folk. How do you see BANNING legal handguns as being helpful towards curbing violence? What harm do legal handguns do to us? As you said, it is your opinion and I am interested in seeing how you can justify your thoughts.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:

I can respect you not owning handguns yourself, but I don't respect you wanting to keep other people from being able to own and use handguns, just because you don't have a use for them yourself. Alcohol results in far more people being killed or injured than handguns, but I am not campaigning to ban alcohol.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quote:

And once we ban legal handguns all the criminals will get respectable jobs and crime will go away.
Are you really that naive?
Or a millennial that really believes we can be protected from all life’s boo-boos?
Old 05-20-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
As you said, it is your opinion and I am interested in seeing how you can justify your thoughts.
I'd be interest in hearing this as well. I have yet to meet anyone who can provide a reasonable explanation much beyond, "they are bad, banning them would save lives".
Old 05-20-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:

And he is a ballsy enough troll to post twice.....some peoples kids....remember once they take mine,,,they will come for yours.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I'd be interest in hearing this as well. I have yet to meet anyone who can provide a reasonable explanation much beyond, "they are bad, banning them would save lives".

Firearms violence of all types—homicides, suicides, and unintentional deaths.

1. Most of this violence involves the use of a handgun.

2. Handguns are easily concealed, engineered for maximum lethality, relatively inexpensive, and easy to acquire.

3. Handguns are used in nearly 70 percent of firearm suicides
and 80 percent of firearm homicides.

4. Canada has not so much a firearms problem as a handgun problem.

The Toll of Handgun Violence

The call to ban handguns is not inspired by a generalized hatred of guns. It is a response to the blood price that our nation has paid for the explosive growth of the handgun population over the past generation.

5. More than two out of three of the one million who died in firearm-related homicides, suicides, and unintentional shootings since 1962 were killed with handguns—i.E., 667,000.

6. This weapon, which has inflicted pain and death in such a disproportionate degree, is owned by a distinct minority —only one out of six adults.

7. Out of the current total firearms population of some 190 million, rifles and shotguns outnumber handguns two to one, yet handguns account for the majority of killings, woundings, and gun crimes. For example, of all firearm-related crimes in 1993, 86 percent involved the use of a handgun.

8. The modern handgun has been honed for decades by the firearms industry to the highest possible level of lethality, just as race cars are continually redeveloped for maximum speed. The handguns that have been introduced into the market in the past two decades—especially high-caliber, high-capacity, semiautomatic pistols—meet the lethality standard admirably.

9. The increased efficiency of the handgun as a killing machine is the result of a strategy by the gun industry over the past decade and a half to boost sales.

10. This growth in killing power is the result of three variables deliberately designed into handguns—

Greater capacity, i.e. the ability to hold more bullets.

11.Higher caliber, meaning bigger bullets.

12. Increased concealability, facilitating criminal use.

13. These variables reached their zenith with the recent introduction of "pocket rockets,"—semiautomatic pistols in higher calibers that can be concealed in the palm of the hand.
Recent data reveal the effect of this decades-long trend. From 1990 to 1997, of the 160,000 homicides committed , more than half (55.6 percent) involved a handgun.

14. This block of 89,000 handgun homicides is larger than that of all other weapons used in homicides combined.

As the debate over gun violence is almost always framed in terms of fatalities, it is easy to overlook that, for every person killed with a firearm, approximately require medical treatment for wounds inflicted with a gun.

15. One estimate places the annual cost of immediate medical care for all gunshot wounds at $4 billion.

16. Other researchers take into account lifetime care and long-term economic loss, calculating the overall cost of gun violence in any given year to be in excess of $20 billion.

So yes, I dont see the point and they truly serve no purpose other than to inflict harm. Are they fun to shoot? Yes of course. But there is no need to have one.
Again this is just my opinion and if you dont agree that is fine. But this is why I see no use for hand guns. No need to get worked up. Everyone is welcome to their own opinions.

Last edited by brendon444; 05-21-2019 at 01:22 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:03 AM

Is that you Wendy?
Old 05-21-2019, 05:30 AM

Quote:

2. Handguns are easily concealed, engineered for maximum lethality, relatively inexpensive, and easy to acquire.

The call to ban handguns is not inspired by a generalized hatred of guns. It is a response to the blood price that our nation has paid for the explosive growth of the handgun population over the past generation.

5. More than two out of three of the one million who died in firearm-related homicides, suicides, and unintentional shootings since 1962 were killed with handguns—i.E., 667,000.

6. This weapon, which has inflicted pain and death in such a disproportionate degree, is owned by a distinct minority —only one out of six adults.

7. Out of the current total firearms population of some 190 million, rifles and shotguns outnumber handguns two to one, yet handguns account for the majority of killings, woundings, and gun crimes. For example, of all firearm-related crimes in 1993, 86 percent involved the use of a handgun.

8. The modern handgun has been honed for decades by the firearms industry to the highest possible level of lethality, just as race cars are continually redeveloped for maximum speed. The handguns that have been introduced into the market in the past two decades—especially high-caliber, high-capacity, semiautomatic pistols—meet the lethality standard admirably.

9. The increased efficiency of the handgun as a killing machine is the result of a strategy by the gun industry over the past decade and a half to boost sales.

10. This growth in killing power is the result of three variables deliberately designed into handguns—

13. These variables reached their zenith with the recent introduction of "pocket rockets,"—semiautomatic pistols in higher calibers that can be concealed in the palm of the hand.
Recent data reveal the effect of this decades-long trend. From 1990 to 1997, of the 160,000 homicides committed , more than half (55.6 percent) involved a handgun.

14. This block of 89,000 handgun homicides is larger than that of all other weapons used in homicides combined.

As the debate over gun violence is almost always framed in terms of fatalities, it is easy to overlook that, for every person killed with a firearm, approximately require medical treatment for wounds inflicted with a gun.

15. One estimate places the annual cost of immediate medical care for all gunshot wounds at $4 billion.

16. Other researchers take into account lifetime care and long-term economic loss, calculating the overall cost of gun violence in any given year to be in excess of $20 billion.

So yes, I dont see the point and they truly serve no purpose other than to inflict harm. Are they fun to shoot? Yes of course. But there is no need to have one.
Again this is just my opinion and if you dont agree that is fine. But this is why I see no use for hand guns. No need to get worked up. Everyone is welcome to their own opinions.
These numbers sound like they come straight from Bill Blair, so lets say 57 years and 10000 gun deaths in Canada a year that is only 570,000 deaths. I would bet there has not been remotely close to 1,000,000 gun deaths in Canada in 57 years even including suicide.
those numbers sound more like Americain numbers and that is not a far comparison in my eyes. We do not have a gun problem in Canada and we do not have a hand gun problem either.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:

Where did you come up with such nonsense? If you truly believe that garbage, then you are extremely gullible. If handguns really were that effective, they would be the choice of primary weapon for every military service, there would be no need for military rifles,

As far as criminals go, if they all used handguns, there would be far fewer people killed in shooting sprees. Despite the nonsense that you posted, handguns are far less effective than long guns, they aren't as accurate, and aren't as powerful, so they are far less of a threat than long guns. How many people do you think would have been killed in the Las Vegas shooting spree if the shooter had chosen handguns? As far as suicides go, if someone wants to commit suicide, what difference does it make how they commit suicide, if they want to die, they will find a way.
The numbers that you posted are not even remotely applicable to Canada, anyone with a clue can check Google and see that the real number of firearms deaths in Canada is totally insignificant compared to the numbers for smoking and alcohol. And the cost to society to care for firearms related injuries and deaths, is insignificant, compared to the costs related to alcohol and tobacco.

How about some real numbers. Notice that only 130 people died as a result of handguns, and 75% of those were suicides. That leaves about 30 people murdered by handguns.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ides-1.4803378

Compare that to the 45,000 deaths per year due to smoking.

https://www.cancer.ca/en/about-us/fo...cco/?region=on

Lets look at deaths just due to impaired drivers in Canada, and see that drunk drivers were involved in over 750 deaths due to traffic accidents in one year. And that does not include the many other deaths related to alcohol.

https://madd.ca/pages/impaired-drivi...ew/statistics/

And if you want to look at financial costs, substance abuse accounts for $38 billion per year in Canada, with tobacco and alcohol at the top. Police claim that 70% of their work is related to alcohol.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4296913/c...booze-tobacco/

Last edited by elkhunter11; 05-21-2019 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:55 AM

brendon444, that's alot of info you posted there. I'm not going to go through all of it, as part of me thinks you're trolling and I don't want to waste my time, but on the odd chance you aren't, lets go through a few of your statements:

1-Straight from StatsCanada "Firearms are present in a relatively small proportion of all police-reported violent crime in reporting provinces and territories". Of this "small proportion", approx. 57% involved a handgun. So just over half of a "small proportion", this does not equate to alot of violence in my mind;

2-Yup, they are smaller than long guns, easy to acquire though?

3- "it is clear from available data that when a firearm is used in a suicide attempt in Canada, it generally tends to be a long gun" Link

4- With 266 homicides in 2017 involving a firearm, I don't believe we have either.

5- Your numbers seem way, way off. A million deaths due to firearms over a 57 year period equates to approx. 17,545 deaths per year. For reference, in 2016, there were approx. 891 suicides/homicides where a firearm was involved, in Canada. You think that number has decreased 20x with an increasing population?

Etc., you really lost me at "firearms population of some 190 million". Current estimates peg the number of firearms in Canada at around 10 million. I also noticed you included suicide in all your numbers, which seems odd to me, as they are likely included for no other reason other than to inflate your numbers. Does anyone include suicide via asphyxiation in the garage in vehicle accident rates? You want to include suicide, fine, but lets get down to brass tacks and actually explore the subject. For example, in 2009 twice as many people committed suicide via hanging than firearms related homicide and suicide combined. Let that sink in, you are literally going after the least utilized method of suicide, and trying to save lives by banning it. If your actual intent is to save lives, you'd be better off banning rope. Why not ban smoking (what actual purpose does smoking have?), ban alcohol (like handguns, it's real only intended use is recreation), ban pop, McDonalds, etc. Your numbers support your argument even less once gang activity is removed. And, if you think gangs are going to stop killing each other because of a handgun ban, that's a point we'll likely never come to an agreement on.

And finally, if you actually think people aren't going to commit suicide, or whack their neighbor, because they don't have access to a handgun, again, we'll likely never come to an agreement on that point.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
How about some real numbers. Notice that only 130 people died as a result of handguns, and 75% of those were suicides. That leaves about 30 people murdered by handguns.
And once you take out gang related activity, we are probably approaching the same number of deaths via slipping in the bath tub. All for public safety though, all the while ignoring others that cause death by the thousands.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:48 AM

Default fun with statistics

There were 43 pedestrian deaths and one cyclist death recorded in 2016 according to Toronto police.
In 2016 there was a total of 41 gun crime-related deaths

Appears crossing the street is more of a concern than guns
Old 05-21-2019, 11:51 AM

brendon444, nice to see you spouting the Liberal Party crap to us here who know better. Makes me wonder your age, as your blather is immature and poorly researched. Just because YOU don't like ice cream, does that mean none should have access to ice cream? ... after all ice cream kills through obesity, diabetes, etc.

Hope you enjoyed your 5 seconds of troll-ness.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:49 PM

Brendon444's lengthly post was referencing USA statistics, hence it largely does not apply to us because our statistics are significantly different in Canada and we have tighter gun control than the USA and a thing called 'licensing' which screens out the majority of criminals and whacko's.

Brendon was unwilling to answer my question posed earlier about how disarming the law abiding will prevent gang violence, these are people who already import drugs & guns across the border and are responsible for a disproportionate amount of Canada's shootings. Obviously they won't stop importing guns and those statistics will remain stable, if not increase. People will have one less option for suicide among the infinite number of other methods, does one propose that suicides will cease? Histpry shows that suicide numbers remain relatively stable after firearms bans, only the methods vary.

I guess Brendon has never heard of a wilderness carry permit which can saves lives of people whose occupations bring them into the bush where their work requires that they need to have their hands available so they can't be carrying a rifle. His entire stance is based on falsehoods: his link only had US statistics and the opinion that 'there's no reason to have a handgun'. The only thing preventing more uses for handguns is some existing laws on the books here in Canada: if the law didn't specifically prohibit such use, we could hunt with them (try providing a plausible justification for that law). If the law didn't prohibit such use, we could defend ourselves with them (Ever the victim of a home invasion? I was). If the law didn't prevent it we could target shoot with them. Comprehend the pattern here. Its not a lack of uses, its laws that prevent such uses. How many human lives were saved by the no handgun hunting legislation? I've got all week to wait for an answer for that one.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 05-21-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:52 PM
Banned

Brendon444 where are you??
Old 05-21-2019, 03:38 PM

As Trochu and Caber pointed out, Brendon's numbers are pure crap. If you really want to save lives, ban Fentanyl....oh, wait. Or maybe ban doctors, they kill tens of thousands of people a year with misdiagnosis and improperly prescribed drugs. Ban alcohol, tobacco, and vehicles. Far more deaths. And rope and knives have to go too.

But it is pointless to argue with someone who would bother posting that tripe in the first place. I'm gonna go with.....Troll.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-21-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
But it is pointless to argue with someone who would bother posting that tripe in the first place. I'm gonna go with.....Troll.
How do you argue with someone that doesn't know country he lives in.
There are no separate statistics for handguns kept every crime involving a projectile launcher is classed as a gun crime including paintball guns, pellet rifles shotguns and handguns both smuggled and stolen.

If there were actual handgun stats I'm sure sock's lapdogs would be using them
Old 05-21-2019, 05:09 PM

The troll post (#44) is straight up copy/paste.

Not an original thought in it.

I only bring this up because I can't stand it when people plagiarize.

Quote:
But on the other hand, I learned something new. I always thought a pocket rocket was either a French Canadian hockey great or a hard on.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:04 PM

It's bullying

Discriminating against a firearm because its "shorter and smaller"

A 5" .22 calibre handgun can kill a grouse as effectively as a 48" .22 cal rifle
Old 05-21-2019, 08:04 PM

Default I’ve got a statistic for you.

Quote:

100% of gun deaths in Canada were caused by people.
1. Unlawfully using firearms, suicides included.
2. A form of Negligence.
3. Law enforcement and military in the line of duty.
4. Self protection.

My 100% is more accurate than your 66.7% guaranteed.

And that word NEED bothers me so much.
You don’t NEED freedom but I sure as hell want it.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:52 PM

Default Heres a little nugget

https://globalnews.ca/news/5313386/c...orth-shooting/
Old 05-25-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSDucknut View Post
They claim that urban citizens are concerned about gangs using firearms .Good luck disarming the gangs, regardless of any regulations they pass. They claim that rural citizens are concerned about suicides or accidental shootings. As if people that really want to commit suicide won't find an alternative method. As for accidental shootings, that is a lot more likely happen while hunting, and restricted firearms aren't used for hunting in Canada. Some people are truly clueless.