Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2019, 09:34 AM

Default Alberta’s Population

A recent post asking if the campgrounds are busy this weekend got me thinking about how busy and full this province is. A real eye opener is if you look at our population in 1990 it was hovering around 2.5 million. Fast forward to 2019 and we are at over 4.3 million currently. That’s almost a 2 million increase in only 29 years. Absolutely crazy. It’s interesting to note the population back in the 50’s 60’s and 70’s. being born in 72, I feel I missed the best Alberta. Oh well. Anyway I’m pretty sure all the campgrounds are full as it seems so is Alberta. Lol

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/c45f...o-current.xlsx
Old 05-20-2019, 09:37 AM

I’m only two years older than you, Calgary’s population has essentially doubled since I was in high school... I recall back when I was young being eager for the city to be bigger, these days I wish it stayed closer to the same (at least in terms of neighbourliness, crime rate, visible homeless people and junkies, etc)

It sure would be nicer when it comes to hunting draws to have that smaller population back. Of course campsites as well.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 05-20-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:14 AM

40 years ago campgrounds were 80% tents now it's 90% trailers like a parking lot. Due to the price of lake property most private campgrounds were sold as lake lots creating even more shortage of places to camp.
The urban camping scene is not for me, my last trip was to Loon lake about 10 years ago longest week of camping I ever had way too many people.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:15 AM

We were in Edmonton from 04 to 13.
The most noticeable change in that timeframe was the traffic. You used to be able to leave early and have empty roads on your way to work. Now its nuts all the time.
So, with the ever growing number of cars, what does Edmonton do?
They clutter up those roads with bike lanes and lrt tracks.
I used to like that city...
Old 05-20-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
40 years ago campgrounds were 80% tents now it's 90% trailers like a parking lot. Due to the price of lake property most private campgrounds were sold as lake lots creating even more shortage of places to camp.
The urban camping scene is not for me, my last trip was to Loon lake about 10 years ago longest week of camping I ever had way too many people.
Agreed. We tent. The harder to get to in our Jeep the happier we are. The Alberta campground scene is pretty much just a trailer court scene. City folk trying to be all “campy” with their fifth wheels, air conditioning and flat screens....
Old 05-20-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Agreed. We tent. The harder to get to in our Jeep the happier we are. The Alberta campground scene is pretty much just a trailer court scene. City folk trying to be all “campy” with their fifth wheels, air conditioning and flat screens....
We're actually buying a new Rubicon for this reason, just waiting to see if the EcoDiesel will be paired with a 6spd. We'll have to figure out some new places to go with the Jeep though, we like the same thing.. Away from commercial campgrounds.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
I don't know about that, they acreage/rural crowd doesn't seem to be lacking in amenities either. Take a drive through rural Alberta and there certainly isn't any shortage of 5th wheels/motorhomes/toyhaulers etc.

But I do agree about the campgrounds, we camped for years in a tent then upgraded to an old truck camper. In many campgrounds you would rarely see people outside of their RV's in the evening. We had a smaller 5th wheel for a bit which was nice for longer multi week trips but got sold due to lack of use. I honestly liked the old truck camper the best, easy to get around in, and small enough that you didn't want to spend much time inside. Plus no shaking snow off of the tent in the morning and the gravity heater was a nice perk.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
The most noticeable change in that timeframe was the traffic. You used to be able to leave early and have empty roads on your way to work. Now its nuts all the time.
I consider myself fortunate to have witnessed the "progess" in Alberta over the decades. Born in 1939 in Jasper Place , Alberta, when the entre population of the Province at that time was less than 800,OOO. Enjoyed the Hunting prior to the current Draw system as well as all the empty space. Times have definately changed.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
I don't know about that, they acreage/rural crowd doesn't seem to be lacking in amenities either. Take a drive through rural Alberta and there certainly isn't any shortage of 5th wheels/motorhomes/toyhaulers etc.

We hook up our 5th wheels and head for the city on the long weekends. Much quieter
Old 05-20-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
We hook up our 5th wheels and head for the city on the long weekends. Much quieter
Was great around Camrose this weekend. Nobody on the road and no lineups at the stores and drive thrus..... loved it.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:04 AM

I remember when HMCS Tecumseh was the edge of the city and the Palliser Hotel along with the Robin Hood Flour Mill at 9th Ave & 4th St SW were the two tallest structures in Calgary. Cochrane was a one Mountie town. Airdrie was the size of Bowden.

I used to shoot gophers on the east bank of Signal Hill and the city limits at that time ended at 37th St SW. There used to be a skeet club right next to Melville Scott school at 17th Ave & 33 st SW. After school we used to go out in the field and try to get peppered by the falling shot.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:07 AM
Banned

Liberals and UCP both are down with the United Abomination's forced mass immigration, libs want 1 million over 3 years, the UCP will target 1 million over 4 years.

They aren't planning on stuffing them in the over crowded cities that they already control the votes in, they want to spread them out in every riding, there is no where to run to anymore, this is how they plan to stay in power.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:08 AM
Banned

Did you allow for the Newfies that went home after the bust?
Old 05-20-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
Did you allow for the Newfies that went home after the bust?
They all came back because nowadays they get sweet 14 on 14 off with a fly out on days off. Lol
Old 05-20-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hardin View Post
I remember when HMCS Tecumseh was the edge of the city and the Palliser Hotel along with the Robin Hood Flour Mill at 9th Ave & 4th St SW were the two tallest structures in Calgary. Cochrane was a one Mountie town. Airdrie was the size of Bowden.

I used to shoot gophers on the east bank of Signal Hill and the city limits at that time ended at 37th St SW. There used to be a skeet club right next to Melville Scott school at 17th Ave & 33 st SW. After school we used to go out in the field and try to get peppered by the falling shot.
I remember when Ogden and Midnapor etc. took quite awhile to drive to and were not part of Calgary. And the Northhill had nothing on it. No houses nada. I remember when we moved from the farm to Calgary as a kid i couldnt believe there was that many people there all in one place. Didnt like cities then and still dont. Im glad we got a couple of properties to escape to where the crowds cant get to us. Our own little camp ground just for family and friends.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:00 PM

I like to take some of the credit for the population increase from '02-'12.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
^^^this x 1000! Both Edmonton AND St.Albert used to be motorist friendly.

Now couple the population growth with city councillors with zero urban planning experience or vision, legalized cannabis and photo radar at virtually ever intersection and voila..the average motorist who knows how to drive and attempts to drive the posted speed limit unlike everyone else driving 10km/hr under, is the poor sap that gets singled out.

I put a sign in my rear window like the 'New Driver' does, only mine says 'Experienced Driver..watch for finger'....
Old 05-21-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefk View Post
^^^this x 1000! Both Edmonton AND St.Albert used to be motorist friendly.

Now couple the population growth with city councillors with zero urban planning experience or vision, legalized cannabis and photo radar at virtually ever intersection and voila..the average motorist who knows how to drive and attempts to drive the posted speed limit unlike everyone else driving 10km/hr under, is the poor sap that gets singled out.

I put a sign in my rear window like the 'New Driver' does, only mine says 'Experienced Driver..watch for finger'....
Good points for sure....
Old 05-21-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
I like to take some of the credit for the population increase from '02-'12.

Good job...I did some work on this as well in the 70's and 80's...I'm guessing numbers don't lie, and we both did our job..maybe not the best, but at least the effort was there.
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 05-21-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
Liberals and UCP both are down with the United Abomination's forced mass immigration, libs want 1 million over 3 years, the UCP will target 1 million over 4 years.

They aren't planning on stuffing them in the over crowded cities that they already control the votes in, they want to spread them out in every riding, there is no where to run to anymore, this is how they plan to stay in power.
Actually it's worse than that, there is a thought afoot to have 100 million.And because it's cold here, all will be located where it's already crowded. International globalists.......
Old 05-21-2019, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb8440 View Post
Actually it's worse than that, there is a thought afoot to have 100 million.And because it's cold here, all will be located where it's already crowded. International globalists.......
He meant in AB not country wide.

Brooks is little Somali already apparently.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post

They're doing this to drop wages.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:11 PM

Populations and camping... I remember in the 60's when when roadside government campgrounds along the foothills and in the parklands were free. With firewood cut and split. Most had a camp kitchen with a wood stove and outhouses too. The campgrounds were built by inmates and the firewood was maintained by inmates housed in bush camps. Auto touring was popular as more roads were improved and even paved.

Another thing i remember about the 60's and early 70's was there were lots of squatters living on crown land. Squatters still had rights to dwell on crown land. Some called them "hippies" too. They lived on the islands and banks of the north sask. river. Along creeks in valleys, abandoned old farmhouses and anywhere they wanted. Even families with small kids were squatting, not just bachelors.

I can say I am glad that even though there has been such a boom in population we are very lucky that only 19% of the population is rural. Hunting and fishing in the province would sure be different if 50% of the people were rural.
In 1901 alberta population was 73K and by 1950 it was 1 million. 10 fold increase in 50 years. So to only increase 4 fold since the 1950's isn't too bad.

And at 4.3 million presently I can't imagine the changes coming when projections say there will be 6.4 million in 25 years. 25 years passes by pretty quick. ( There will be a bunch of old guys with guns that can't go hunting anymore.Yikes!)

First time I ever went to the 'city', Edmonton, came from the south the "Welcome to Edmonton" derrick was on the NW corner of 51 street and Calgary trail. About 1961. Population was 350K. I knew a man who has since passed that shot a big boone and crockett whitetail buck right 'by' the city in the 1960's. Today's 178 street and 103 ave. And ironically his B&C buck burned in a house fire.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets