Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2019, 06:42 AM

Default What PSI pressure washer to buy?

Looking at buying a pressure washer, just a lot more serious about it right now then the previous years. Mostly be used to wash quads and my dirt bike. I’ll also start washing my truck in the driveway too. I live rural and want a gas washer with a Honda engine. Have a few picked out but not sure on the size. I’m thinking about 2500-2700 psi range. They come with different tips like delicate, general, Max and soap. What do you guys use for washing the mud off your quads?
Old 05-20-2019, 06:53 AM

My opinion is to look more at the GPM of water that the pressure washer puts out than the psi that it puts out. 2000-2500 psi should be plenty if it has enough water flow.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:02 AM

For washing atvs and vehicles, you don't need or even want more than 2000 psi, because if you aren't careful you can get water into places where it shouldn't get, such as bearings and electronics. 2500psi or more is nice for cleaning concrete, stone and such, but not a lot of value for washing vehicles, where a little more volume can be an advantage.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:06 AM

like your reading , its all about volume .
Old 05-20-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
My opinion is to look more at the GPM of water that the pressure washer puts out than the psi that it puts out. 2000-2500 psi should be plenty if it has enough water flow.
They’re all around 2.0-2.3 gpm. Which isn’t bad I can turn my hose up a lot more then that I bet. Or I’ll fill a tank and have it draw from the tank as I have it filling. I’m sure I’ll use the pressure washer for washing the cabin and out buildings I have before I paint them.

What the quads go through I’m not to worried about a pressure washing pushing things into seals and stuff. I’m careful and maintain my equipment, I know what to look for and such.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:01 AM

Might want to look at the pump make as well cause. That usually the pump goes before the engine .. I had a Honda bee clean and it lasted me 7 year and counting .
Old 05-20-2019, 08:13 AM

For myself I like 3 gpm and 2800 psi. You can stand further back or use a different tip if you like to reduce pressure.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
For myself I like 3 gpm and 2800 psi. You can stand further back or use a different tip if you like to reduce pressure.
Most of them have adjustable pressure and you can set it to what you like/need, but you can't get more water from a low volume machine if you want it.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Yeah that would have a good cleaning power. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:35 AM

My 18–ish year old Karcher/Honda that I got at Costco way back is 2400 PSI but I don’t recall it’s GPM. It’s been a good for everything that I’ve used it for in that time, which is about everything that a person would normally use one for. It’s got Honda’s 160cc motor, if I were to get another I’d perhaps look at one with their 190cc motor but mine is still going so there’s no need.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:47 AM

Default Karcher

I went with a Karcher Commercial , not to be confused with the Cambodian Tire home type. They are not cheap at around 1500 bucks.

Its 120 volt , 20 amp. Its adjustable for 300 to 1500 PSI and has a flow fate of 1.1 to 2.3 GPM

It has a three piston pump, and an adjustable 0/40 degree spray head on the wand. Both the hose and the power cord are 25' + long.

This is a " you better use two hands hold" on the wand washer. Much more powerful than any truck wash I have been to when its turned up.

Last edited by Puma; 05-20-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:04 AM

Check out Peavey Mart they had a 2700psi pressure washer with a Honda engine on sale last week. Not sure if it is on sale this week still or not. I almost went and bought one but was able to track down parts to repair my pump on the one I have. I currently have one with a Briggs and Stratton engine that I got from Canadian Tire a few years ago. My next one will definitely have a Honda.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:38 AM

At work (Quad/bike dealership) we use the Yamaha pressure washer. It is super convenient since you can change pressure and spray type from just turning the end of the nozzle. For washing quads, we almost only use the 800psi setting as it is more than enough pressure but doesn't wreck anything.

So far we've had the pressure washer for about 4 years and we use it pretty much every day, no problems as of yet! Everything on it seems to be better quality than the other washers I see on the market, but that might just be personal opinion.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:46 AM

You’ll have to spend more but get one with a triplex it’ll last way longer
Old 05-20-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpreat View Post
At work (Quad/bike dealership) we use the Yamaha pressure washer. It is super convenient since you can change pressure and spray type from just turning the end of the nozzle. For washing quads, we almost only use the 800psi setting as it is more than enough pressure but doesn't wreck anything.

So far we've had the pressure washer for about 4 years and we use it pretty much every day, no problems as of yet! Everything on it seems to be better quality than the other washers I see on the market, but that might just be personal opinion.

I looked up Yamaha pressure washers since I’m a Yamaha fanatic. They have two models online and both out of my price range so I’m going with the next best. Honda. Thanks for the pressure input, I wouldn’t mind getting a smaller one but they don’t have Honda engines.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:00 PM

Check Kijiji. I was parusing through, and they had some really good bargains on pressure washers. I was looking for something in the 5 gpm range for cleaning farm machinery.

You might be able to score something better than your budget would allow buying new.

3000 psi will peel good paint. In your case, not likely a need for that.

From what I read though, if you multiply the gpm by the PSI, to get good cleaning, you want that number to be above 7500.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:02 PM

My Princess Auto is a 2800 iirc with 4 nozzles. The best thing is if it ever dies they will just give you another one. I took in a 4 year old one that quit, looking to buy parts and the Manager told me to take a new unit. He even sold me back my old hose for $25 so I have twice the length. This one is now 6 or 7 years old and works perfect. Show me any other brand or store that will do that.

Everything works until it quits.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-20-2019, 01:10 PM

I have a 3600 psi 10hp honda engine, from princess auto, a few years back. this came as replacement on my old one i had for 10 years. PA guarantee, just had to pay the difference as first unit was only 5.5 hp 2300 psi, The volume of water is the important thing as prev stated. PSI is secondary. Most city car washes the max pressure is 2200 psi but lots of water
Old 05-20-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
Check out Peavey Mart they had a 2700psi pressure washer with a Honda engine on sale last week. Not sure if it is on sale this week still or not. I almost went and bought one but was able to track down parts to repair my pump on the one I have. I currently have one with a Briggs and Stratton engine that I got from Canadian Tire a few years ago. My next one will definitely have a Honda.
I went and looked around and wasn’t happy with the prices, but I bought the last pressure washer at peavey mart in spruce that is 2700 psi and 2.5 gpm. Did a great job on the toys and even the driveway. Thanks for the heads up, everything went great.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
I looked up Yamaha pressure washers since I’m a Yamaha fanatic. They have two models online and both out of my price range so I’m going with the next best. Honda. Thanks for the pressure input, I wouldn’t mind getting a smaller one but they don’t have Honda engines.
Yep, they sure are pricey, which is why I don't have one at home and am still rocking my dads old one with the Honda engine. It's big but with the adjustable throttle on it, I'd say its better to have the extra pressure and not need it rather than need it and not have it. Either way, you can't go wrong with Honda engines that's for sure!