Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2019, 07:25 PM

Question RV - Bearings shot - partially standed

On our way home from our Cold Lake camping trip this weekend I pulled over at a gas station to let the kids have a pee break and during my walk around I found that one of the bearings blew on the trailer. The wheel was barely on there and thankfully nothing worse happened. It has the Dexter EZ lube axles and I just greased them before the trip but nonetheless here I am!

I left the trailer at the gas station and ferried the family back to the city but now I'm left figuring out the next steps. Waskatenau - anybody know of any good mechanics in the area that can help me out? Not sure how to proceed or who to call!

Appreciate any advice or contacts!

Last edited by rubberboots; 05-20-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:29 PM

can you take off the tire and tie up the axle, limp it home?

With a brass punch and ball peen hammer, right sized socket to pound in the races, grease and some hand tools it is not a hard job, if I was closer I would be on the road.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-20-2019, 07:32 PM

how far from the city home are you?
Old 05-20-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
can you take off the tire and tie up the axle, limp it home?
I don't know the first thing about axles aside from pushing in a tube of grease now and again. I certainly could attempt that but I am not sure how safe it would be, if I could damage anything else in the process (they have 4 wheels for a reason I imagine), or even how to tie it up.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
how far from the city home are you?
The trailer is an hour from the city.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:45 PM

Jack up the axle. Chain axle to frame. Remove tire and head home slowly.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:46 PM

if the tire is very loose then most likely the axel will be damaged beyond just replacing the bearings and races.
Unload it and take both tires off that axel and limp it back, stop and check tempertures of the single axel left so you don't kill it too
Old 05-20-2019, 07:50 PM

Is the hub still fine? Is the axle spindle still fine? If so remove the hub from axle spindle remove old bearing and seal then grab a new bearing and seal and some grease pack the bearing and install new bearing and seal into hub reattach the hub to spindle and give it some more grease and hit the road. Not hard to do a wheel bearing.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:53 PM

I am not a mechanic but this looks wrecked to me - here is a pic of the hub:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
Is the hub still fine? Is the axle spindle still fine? If so remove the hub from axle spindle remove old bearing and seal then grab a new bearing and seal and some grease pack the bearing and install new bearing and seal into hub reattach the hub to spindle and give it some more grease and hit the road. Not hard to do a wheel bearing.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:55 PM

More then likely the axle is scored to crap and need a new one rather then a roadside repair.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:58 PM

Yeah I would say u need more then just a new bearing. Looks like u are gonna need a little more then a road side fix. Wish I was closer I would help u out to limp it somewhere.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:02 PM

Do u have AMA or any type of roadside assistance. Not sure if they cover a tow/rescue for something like this.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:02 PM

Ok, so far the only real thing I am capable of doing myself is taking off the wheels from both sides of the rear axle and limping back to the city. My concern with that is causing even more damage by putting all of that weight on one axle. But at this point, I'm not sure what else I can do?
Old 05-20-2019, 08:03 PM

There’s a trailer repair outfit near redwater, called Altaland. I’d limp it there, and let them deal with it in the morning.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:04 PM

Of course they would have to load it up onto a trailer.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:04 PM

Also try general auto in Lamont. But redwater doesn’t have the river hill
to pull on the way.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch donkey View Post
There’s a trailer repair outfit near redwater, called Altaland. I’d limp it there, and let them deal with it in the morning.
Does "Limp it there" mean remove both wheels from the axle and slowly make my way to wherever? Would I have to tie the axle up to the frame so that it doesn't drag on the ground with the way the suspension is rigged with the other axle?
Old 05-20-2019, 08:10 PM

I think the hub and axle will still be good from the picture.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:14 PM

I’d probably ratchet strap the axel to the frame to keep it off the road, or take the other wheel off. Unload the trailer, empty the tanks if you can, fresh and grey water for sure

Looking at your picture, I don’t think your axel is getting any worse.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:16 PM

One guy thinks your hub and axel will be ok, maybe it will. Hope it is.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
I think the hub and axle will still be good from the picture.
agreed . ive seen worst . if you head there with new bearings and grease bring emery cloth and a file .

good thing the kids had to pee !!!
Old 05-20-2019, 08:51 PM

One other thing you could consider, now I’m not sure the style of your axle or trailer type but some of those Dexter axle/spindle setups bolt right on to the axle but some are welded on to the axle. You may just be able to unbolt the spindle off the axle then you wouldn’t have to remove the other side or tie up the axle to limp it to repair shop. Take another picture of your setup and post quick once u get back to the trailer if you are not there and on the road already. Lots of guys with knowledge and willing to help u out here as much as we can.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:05 PM

I'm in the city for the night trying to put together a plan for the morning. I appreciate everyones advice because I am really out of my league here.

My plan is to head out in the morning with some ratchet straps and get a hold of a trailer repair shop and limp it in somehow. Plan A is get it in to a shop somewhere (prob. altaland) with 3 wheels on the ground by using ratchet straps, plan b is scratch my head a little longer. I'm not sure I like the idea of limping in on only 2 wheels because the last thing I want it to cause further damage.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Jack up the axle. Chain axle to frame. Remove tire and head home slowly.
This happened to me once with a car hauler, hauling a car back from Reno. Stopped for fuel in Minot, North Dakota, did the visual check and noticed one of the tires was at a weird angle, upon further inspection, the tire was just sitting under the trailer fender, guess the axle or bearings let go since the last stop.

I used the above recommendation and limped home which was another 5 hours from home.

I only removed the tire on the damaged side and used a come along and chain to secure axle. It took a few tries to ensure camber was close as other tire...…….Made it home safely.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberboots View Post
I don't know the first thing about axles aside from pushing in a tube of grease now and again. .
I'd watch some youtube vids on changing Dexter EZ lube bearings
to gain some knowledge while waiting for morning.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
I'm in the city for the night trying to put together a plan for the morning. I appreciate everyones advice because I am really out of my league here.

My plan is to head out in the morning with some ratchet straps and get a hold of a trailer repair shop and limp it in somehow. Plan A is get it in to a shop somewhere (prob. altaland) with 3 wheels on the ground by using ratchet straps, plan b is scratch my head a little longer. I'm not sure I like the idea of limping in on only 2 wheels because the last thing I want it to cause further damage.
Find someone to fix it and no half jobbies with straps,you kill yourself you leave your family behind or kill others your in big trouble because lotsa people now know your rig is not road worthy.Don't listen to a lot off this crap being told to you by these donkeys.
How do you know the other wheels are safe,a good guy that knows what he is doing may save you a life time of trouble,don't make things worst than they are,it's just a darn trailer.Relax get some rest and life goes on,but don't ever make thinks worst over a desperate move,desperate moves have put a lot of folks in jail .This is just a small thing in life so don't sweat it and in the end it will all work out.

Take Care
JD
Old 05-20-2019, 09:49 PM

That's the truth there. I'm not looking for shortcuts - just trying to figure out what the H to do - safely. Appreciate the cool head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Find someone to fix it and no half jobbies with straps,you kill yourself you leave your family behind or kill others your in big trouble because lotsa people now know your rig is not road worthy.Don't listen to a lot off this crap being told to you by these donkeys.
How do you know the other wheels are safe,a good guy that knows what he is doing may save you a life time of trouble,don't make things worst than they are,it's just a darn trailer.Relax get some rest and life goes on,but don't ever make thinks worst over a desperate move,desperate moves have put a lot of folks in jail .This is just a small thing in life so don't sweat it and in the end it will all work out.

Take Care
JD
Old 05-20-2019, 09:53 PM

I can't get the picture to open?

Changing wheel bearings even just in a parking lot or side of the road is really not a bad job. I'd like to see the damage.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
That's the truth there. I'm not looking for shortcuts - just trying to figure out what the H to do - safely. Appreciate the cool head.
You got your health and your family and that's all that you need in life,the rest is just things that happen.Kiss your family goodnight and be happy you seen it before something bad could have happened .Your the lucky guy today the way I look at it, so do the same.

Take Care
JD
Old 05-20-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post

Take Care
JD
If you get a flat tire, do you just sit there, in fear of the other 3 going flat also?

From his post it sounded like he was with his trailer in Wasketenau, obviously there are better options than a ratchet strap, I thought that might be be something he would have with him.

I don’t think anyone will be killed, or injured pulling a 3 wheeled trailer at 50lm an hour for 30 km, but I guess the risk is there.

I’m certain your advice of, “find someone to fix it” will be of great help. You should have chimed in sooner.