Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-16-2019, 08:17 AM

Default Victoria / Sooke

I'm going to the Victoria area at the end of June and the wife is letting me sneak in a day or two of fishing.

At the moment I am thinking that I want to try for a ling or rock fish for the dinner table then do some catch and release salmon fishing.

I will have access to my buddies boat but he doesn't fish so I thought I would ask the fine folks on this forum for some advise on lures and depths to focus on when I head out.

Thanks
Old 05-17-2019, 12:14 PM

Not sure if your buddies boat is equipped with down riggers and you'll have all the salmon gear but right out front of Sooke will be good for Salmon using spoons or anchovies, basically in the opening around possession point when leaving the harbor. For lings and rockfish you'll want to be closer to land and jig or troll gear close to the bottom. As far as catching from shore I've not done it personally but people fish the breakwater in downtown Victoria, there is a good hiking trail by beecher bay that lets you hike all the way to Beechy Head and there are lots of good rocks to fish off of from there.