Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2019, 02:19 PM

Default Cost to remove a dog's tooth?

Long story short... our neighbour gave our 13 year old dog (shepherd/lab mix) a ham bone to chew on and he went to town on it. A couple days later the left side of his face is swollen. My wife takes him to the vet and they say he has an infected tooth that needs to be removed. He's been on antibiotics/pain meds and the swelling is gone.

Here's the kicker - the quote to remove the tooth is $1900-$2400 (blood test to confirm he will make it through surgery, teeth cleaning, etc.). He is a VERY healthy dog - people are shocked when they learn he's 13. Obviously we'll do what we have to do but the quote seems high.

I'm looking to get a 2nd opinion. I travel to Cochrane for work a couple days a week. Any vets in the Cochrane area that people would recommend?
Old 05-20-2019, 02:24 PM

Buddy just got a canine pulled out of young dog for around $400. Sounds like he needs to tooth pulled either way. What’s the blood test really going to tell you?
Old 05-20-2019, 02:34 PM

Default Tooth

Ours just had 5 teeth removed for $1100. We thought it was a bit expensive, but it needed to be done. He is going on 14.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:38 PM

I had a $400 bill for 1 tooth remove and the rest cleaned on my dog. However, I get the dental work for me done at about 10% of local prices but I have to go to Mexico for that.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:42 PM

Default At 13

That tooth was probably bad with or without ham bone. At 13 dog is high risk for both surgery and anesthetic regardless. Little out of your way to go to strathmore but when our 13 year old required surgery (only one was a tooth and abscess, the other was cancerous growth on her tongue) I dont think either surgery cost us $400. Animal care clinic on highway just before you get to Strathmore.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:54 PM
Banned

Old 05-20-2019, 03:02 PM

I found the vets in Cochrane are just as expensive or more than the vets in Calgary. So find a vet you like and trust. I ended going to the Eastern Slopes vet clinic in Black Diamond after reviews on this site and other personal reviews
It was expensive to get two lumps removed but I had a good feeling about the service. I would go back to eastern slopes
There are vets on this site maybe they could give you a pm
Old 05-20-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
I found the vets in Cochrane are just as expensive or more than the vets in Calgary. So find a vet you like and trust. I ended going to the Eastern Slopes vet clinic in Black Diamond after reviews on this site and other personal reviews
It was expensive to get two lumps removed but I had a good feeling about the service. I would go back to eastern slopes
There are vets on this site maybe they could give you a pm
I'm the other way from Cochrane (Canmore) and vet prices here are through the roof. Our neighbour had to get 2 kittens fixed and going to Cochrane saved her $250/cat...
Old 05-20-2019, 03:34 PM

It is insane what vets charge here. Wanted to get mine fixed and dew claws removed. Was quoted $1500 took him with me to Uganda and had both done for $85. And left them a good donation at their local SPCA.

They even gave the pooch a good bath before I picked him up.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
Long story short... our neighbour gave our 13 year old dog (shepherd/lab mix) a ham bone to chew on and he went to town on it. A couple days later the left side of his face is swollen. My wife takes him to the vet and they say he has an infected tooth that needs to be removed. He's been on antibiotics/pain meds and the swelling is gone.

Here's the kicker - the quote to remove the tooth is $1900-$2400 (blood test to confirm he will make it through surgery, teeth cleaning, etc.). He is a VERY healthy dog - people are shocked when they learn he's 13. Obviously we'll do what we have to do but the quote seems high.

I'm looking to get a 2nd opinion. I travel to Cochrane for work a couple days a week. Any vets in the Cochrane area that people would recommend?
I’m thinking there is quite a bit of profit margin there.. LOL
Old 05-20-2019, 03:42 PM

My old pooch hurt herself and had to get knocked out to get worked on, Vet noticed a split front tooth while she was knocked out and yanked it when she was already asleep. Charged me $5 for the tooth on top of the $200 or so to do the rest of the work.

Pincher Creek vet. This was a few years ago though.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:54 PM

Cost us $700 to get a few teeth yanked on our Yorkie. Fish Creek vet in Calgary. Mark Norman s an awesome vet.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:57 PM

It was a few years ago but I got a molar removed and a set of shots for 330 or so at taber animal clinic, and last I heard the guy that trained my dog (goldwing kennels in magrath) took their dogs there as well because it was way cheaper than lethbridge

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk