Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 09-25-2013, 08:04 AM

Default Beaver Castors

Hello to all, was curious what castors are worth? also what would a guy sell a green beaver hide for this winter?
Thanks
Old 09-25-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeZee View Post
Hello to all, was curious what castors are worth? also what would a guy sell a green beaver hide for this winter?
Thanks
Castor prices depend on what they go for at the sale. Last 'educated guess', that I seen was medicore. Green beaver hide????? Well the fur buyers don't want it, nor the fur auction houses, so your only option is to sell it to someone who would finish the job. To sell it to him is illegal, unless he has a fur buyers license.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:34 AM

Well of course I know the Auctions don't want green hides lol

Just merely seeing what the market is like. Buyers who buy give a price and hope for the best, so I thought I would ask what a ballpark price is to see if I need to bother keeping them.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:47 PM

You have a great question I was also wondering that myself. I am having a hard time trying to find that information on the internet. I am new to beaver trapping and I am under the assumption that castors give you a few bucks more. But I am not sure the price.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:24 PM
Gone Hunting

North Bay lists castors at around $40.00 per pound, dried.
That was for the January 2013 sale.

I have never sold green hides and don't know what they might be worth.
My best guess would be, not much.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-25-2013, 08:27 PM

Thanks keg, I was thinking castors were worth more, but that's a lot better then not keeping them. I used to sell green hides avg 10 - 15 each, but that was over 10 years ago. Probably end up stretching them myself and put em on the wall or something, not too much money in them beaver that's for sure.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:42 PM
Gone Hunting

Well, beaver certainly won't make a fellow rich, but I think they are worth the effort.

$30 to $40 dollar average at the mid winter sales and top price is quoted as $72.00 at North Bay and $74.74 at NAFA.
Add in $10.00 per beaver for castor and it's better then welfare.

Actually if a fellow can average four beaver a day, it's almost what I make driving snowplow.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-25-2013, 09:45 PM

Ya if they are better than avg beaver its something alright, most hoobies don't help pay their own way lol. I am just trapping out some trouble critters here and there, just be a dream to be able to trap for a living, at least in the winter months anyways.