Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-21-2018, 09:19 AM

Default Duck Lake and Surrounding Lakes, Montana

Has anyone been fishing on the Blackfeet Reserve that would be able to provide any insight for planning the logistics of such a trip? I'm looking at heading down that way this spring and am thinking of staying on the Alberta side and driving down each day.

I've heard bad things about Browning, how bad is it to drive through / go to the nearby gear inspection station / purchase a license there? Would a guy be safe making such a trip on his own to the area? (Would not be looking for trouble at all, just hoping to go down and catch some big trout)
Old 04-21-2018, 12:11 PM

You can stay at the Duck Lake lodge near Duck Lake. There is also a house you can rent called the Stone house at Duck Lake. Browning has a couple motels that you could stay at without any worry. Worth checking out the Blackfeet museum in Browning also. Lakes worth fishing are Duck, Mission, Dog gun(my favourite) and 4 horn. I fish that res a ton for big bows! Bring chains, towstraps or whatever because the roads in can be nasty and you could wait a while for a tow.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:06 PM

Fished Duck and Mission last spring. We were in Browning many times and the locals were great! Not at all like what you might read on the web. We stayed right at Duck and had no issues. We were told by f&w officer and it was found true that fish size is way down from the past 5+years at Duck. Much bigger fish were caught at Mission and thats where the crowds were. We never tried any of the other surrounding lakes but were told they held bigger trout than Duck as well(20” being the largest from Duck, 17” avg). As said above, be prepared for some 4x4 to get into these lakes. Duck is not as bad as there’s a campground there. Cheers
Old 04-21-2018, 07:51 PM

you can get your license on line from Blackfeet fish and game.

www.blackfeetfishandwildlife.net