Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2018, 12:43 PM

Default horse grazing costs

A neighbor of mine has several horses which he uses for trail rides. He is short of graze over the summer and has asked if he could put some horses (around 20) on my land for around a month at a time...does anyone know what people usually pay for this?
Old 04-21-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
A neighbor of mine has several horses which he uses for trail rides. He is short of graze over the summer and has asked if he could put some horses (around 20) on my land for around a month at a time...does anyone know what people usually pay for this?

A horse is rated at 1.5 AUM of a cow.

Therefore if a cow is charged at a rate of a dollar a day, times 30 days in a month, you would b looking at 30$ per aum for a cow

30$x1.5 is 45$

So it would be 45 $ a month for a horse.

If grazing cows is 1.25$ per day ... well u can do the math

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2018, 01:47 PM

Perfect
Thanks so much
Old 04-21-2018, 06:04 PM

A horse will graze way more than a cow. Depending on grass canopy, the soil moisture, summer rainfall, etc., be aware that you could end up overgrazing in a hurry. 20 head of horses going to need at least a full 1/4 of grass.

If you overgraze, can be a real PIA to restore a healthy grass stand. Good luck.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:25 PM

Horses aren't called hay burners for nothing. Sorry can't help you on pricing.
They will eat about twice as much as you think.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:24 PM

Roper and cowman got it. !.5 AUM is awfully optimistic.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:55 PM

Is that AUM based on a cow calf pair or just cow?
Old 04-21-2018, 10:12 PM

I wouldn’t let horses pasture my land. They chew it too short and are hard on pastures.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Is that AUM based on a cow calf pair or just cow?

An “animal unit” is defined as one mature cow and her suckling calf weighing a cumulative 1,000 pounds requiring 26 pounds of dry matter forage per day. An animal unit may also be only a 1,000-pound cow that requires about 26 pounds of DM forage per day.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:34 PM

Hoyt posted a question of how much . I assume he meant in dollars . Next guy said if a cow is charged . Key word here is if . Now it's a conversation on AU. Anybody know the dollar amount per horse per month?
Old 04-22-2018, 12:32 AM

If only it was so simple as setting a price. Horses behave in ways that may require your attention. Seems to me their feet do more damage than cattle. They chew tighter to the ground and can get picky for the youngest greenest grass over and over again and leave good taller grass a few feey away. They like to find a sweet spot to stand to escape flies and thst ground gets pounded out quick. Some live to roll and crater the ground. They seem pretty easy on fences. The hard part with some renters is getting them to leave. Depending of the rain and regrowth you might want them gone before your renter can remove them. Remember to hang up a copy of the Stable keepers act to give your protection in court. Brst take out a little insurance in case there are a few escapes that wind up on the public roads. Now these comments may seem extreme between neighbours and likely are. Not many cows these days are 1000 pounds, more likely 1300 plus and by Sept a lot of their calves will be over 500 pounds. Not too many horses would weigh to that total. At 2 -2.5% of body weight dry matter eaten everyday best to size up your pasture if you have horses there for the next 6 months. Well i am just rambling now and should have gone to sleep a couple hours ago. But in closing it is one of lifes great treasures to watch horses out on the pasture. Better yet is when they get to running and pounding the ground...hard to beat those moments. But for 30$ per head per month it may not be worth it. Never had trouble getting $75 a month, sometimes $100. It should be worth a least a cup of coffee a day. Cheers.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
Hoyt posted a question of how much . I assume he meant in dollars . Next guy said if a cow is charged . Key word here is if . Now it's a conversation on AU. Anybody know the dollar amount per horse per month?
Try post #2 and go from there
Old 04-22-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
Try post #2 and go from there

As author of post number 2....
Forget what I wrote to give an educated guideline

Charge him more than he can afford, that way you will not have him and you won’t need to worry about him and his horses.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post

Anywhere from $25 to $100 a head for your situation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 04-22-2018, 09:55 AM

I only charge $75/ month then $150 in winter with hay. Most rates are double in the $150 for pasture and $300 for winter feed. No box stalls etc. out in cold.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I only charge $75/ month then $150 in winter with hay. Most rates are double in the $150 for pasture and $300 for winter feed. No box stalls etc. out in cold.
That's what a lot of guys charge, but usually only a couple horses. For an owner with 20 I'd give them a deal as you'll be better off in the long run. I'd asked what he wants to pay and bargain from there. I think around the 50 dollar mark give or take 10 bucks per head would be a reasonable rate.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 04-23-2018, 09:35 AM

What kind of grass is it?

Horses have top incisors, which sheep, cows, goats and other ruminants don't. This allows horses to mow the grass off to the dirt. We've had horses in the diet pen actually paw up the sod to get at the quack grass roots. Price would depend on the quality of the grass, who looks after the fences and water, and who answers the phone if they escape. I think $50/month is a fair starting point.

Gerry Burnie
Old 04-23-2018, 10:43 AM

I have a 1/4 and they have 15 horses at most...native grass and some hay land...I wouldn't let them on the hay until it was cut....Thanks to all posters...very informative