Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2018, 12:01 PM

Exclamation I am looking for a big water (trash) pump

I have a very nice horizontally opposed electric start 24hp engine that has a wrecked pump on it, and we are just at the end of flood season. I was hoping to repair the old housing but can not find parts anywhere, they must have stopped production decades ago. It was taken off an old firetruck years ago, it was a high volume high pressure unit that was amazing.
Does anyone know where to find high volume 'pump heads' in 4"+ for a reasonable price locally?
If I can get into the back shed I will get some measurements and shaft size, put up some pics later.
thanks in advance

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-22-2018, 12:48 PM

check with Wild Rows pump and compression in Lloyd.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:50 PM

Rod has water pumps? I never thought he would have anything other than oil but I will try, thanks.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-22-2018, 12:59 PM

With 24 HP you could put a mission (centrifugal) pump on that thing, or a lower cost MCM pump and move over 1 M3/min at 80-100 psi. Couple shivs, couple belts, and your off to the races. Total cost would be well under $2000.
Priming might be an issue depending what you're doing.
Could also run a 4" Roper or Bowie gear pump. Volume and pressure would be less but no problems priming.
I think with belts and shivs you'd be under $1700.
Self-priming centrifugal would be quite a bit more $.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:30 PM

Look for a flygt trash pump. They run me about $6800 on the rig but I’ve seen them on Kijiji for $500 before. The medium capacity pumps will pump around 2000-5000 gpm and handle fluid or cuttings. You’ll need three phase power so if you just want to run it off your engine, ignore what I just wrote.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Look for a flygt trash pump. They run me about $6800 on the rig but I’ve seen them on Kijiji for $500 before. The medium capacity pumps will pump around 2000-5000 gpm and handle fluid or cuttings. You’ll need three phase power.
? 3p power? I want to use my gas engine

Old 04-23-2018, 05:53 PM

What broke in the housing? All may not be lost. You may be surprised what's fixable. Shoot me a PM with some pictures if you like.

Flanny
Old 04-23-2018, 08:16 PM

Hi Flanny- thanks for that, here are the pics. The main housing is cracked in several places, and pretty rotten. I think the pump is about 46 years old. When it worked though, wow did it put out. If I knew it was aluminum and not magnesium I would try and tig weld it, but I bet it's magnesium.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:01 PM

If it's just cracks in the volute you could try putting in a product like belzona, a brushable ceramic epoxy. It is kind of hard to see from the photos, though. Is it mechanically sound otherwise? you would have minor loss of flow, and the rougher the surface finish the worse it would be. As long as it's just cracks that leak from water pressure... I see no reason it couldn't be repaired well enough to work again.

If there are other spots that are damaged let me know.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:07 PM

It is pretty much cracks in the housing, I might take it to a shop and see if they can check if it is magnesium or aluminum, but if this other stuff works better and you say thats the way to go, I will trust your advice. - just watched a couple YT videos on Belzona- cool stuff!

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 04-23-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:18 PM

https://www.belzona.com/en/products/1000/1111.aspx

1111 is designed to repair things like cases, impellers, and turbos. I've seen repairs that have been made that come back years later and the metal around the patch has worn away while the patch is still strong.

Light sandblasting or sanding will help with adhesion. excavating the cracks, drilling small holes at the ends of the cracks, and then filling with belzona should do the trick. On intermittent service like this you probably won't even notice any flow differences.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:32 PM

excellent, thanks again.

Looking at this pump it likely wont work well for my intended purpose, which is pumping out ditches. It looks like a higher pressure/lower volume where more of a high-volume trash pump would work better, it was great for firefighting and ran a lot of pressure out of 2 lines.
I do like a challenge though and would love to get the old girl working