Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-28-2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post
Great story 220! This has been a really enjoyable thread, really enjoy the pictures everyone. tks!
Nice pics. How long does it take to get a dog trained to flush birds, point and retrieve?

My dog is a natural for fetching and will jump and run into the river to retrieve. The other question is what is a good way to get the dogs used to the sound of the gun?
Old 03-28-2012, 01:48 AM

Let's see what i can dig up.

Heres one from last Fall I named " Road Hunters"

Last Day of Pheasant Festival.

Keeping an eye on the Cutthroat for me..

Dreary day in the countryside

And my Buddy also delivers the Rolling Rock at the end of the day..Thanks Grinch !

Old 03-28-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a little redneck View Post
Nice pics. How long does it take to get a dog trained to flush birds, point and retrieve?

My dog is a natural for fetching and will jump and run into the river to retrieve. The other question is what is a good way to get the dogs used to the sound of the gun?
That is a good question and probably worth it's own thread or two.

I am way too much of noob at this point to be much of a help. But I tell you gun exposeure is one of the areas that intimitates me, along with force fetching.

I would count on it taking a year or two, the nice thing about this process is the baseline obediance training required makes for a much better pet companion in the end.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a little redneck View Post

Let me first say that I am no expert and the experts on here might tell you my approach is the worst possible.

I know that I am probably very lucky but my dog (Choc. Lab) really didn't require extensive bird training to "get it". Wife and I trained obediance. The basics. Sit, stay, down, heal, give etc. My dog has not been formally force fetched. I admit I took to much of a risk on the gun conditioning but she has no issues what so ever. I had tapped a wing to one of her bumpers for her to get used to the feathers.

My dog tagged along on one hunt with an experienced dog but other than that had no hunting experience. I bought some birds from WW Birds and took her out. Once she flushed that first bird she knew what I wanted of her. Of course I missed that first bird but I shot the second. She went right to the bird and retrieved it to the healing position.

Now, my dog won't win any field competitions but she finds, flushes and retrieves birds and loves doing it. She has some things that we will work on but we can hunt and have fun as we learn.

My point is the dog may be more ready than one might think.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodle30 View Post
My point is the dog may be more ready than one might think.
A co-worker of mine breeds dashunds and just came back from a week long dog convention, and one of her take aways was "your dogs are capable of more, you just need to ask it of them"

So that point rings true.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:24 PM

Little red

I saw this and thought it would be useful for you

http://dobbsdogs.com/library/pointing/pdj48.html
Old 03-31-2012, 08:40 PM

Thanks
Old 03-31-2012, 09:13 PM

These are a few pictures of one of my favorite hunts with Babe. When this picture was taken she was 20 to 30 days along in her pregnancy. I had two days off work and we knew it would have to be a short hunt and she was able to help me find several wild roosters.

The first bird came out of the end of a draw going into an agricultural field, my hunting partner did not want to walk out the draw but Babe's nose was telling me we should go up there. At the end of the draw we busted several pheasants and I hit one rooster it sailed about 100 meters and fell. She was not far behind when she pounced on it.

The second bird came out a large grass field that I had never hunted. She found several birds, we must have had 10 hens get up within 20 yards of us. Then one rooster that I shot twice at and thought I had missed. Flew 200 meters and did a death roll. Knowing the bird would in that general direction we continued towards the area of the fall. When we got to the area of the fall she was trailing the bird and she found it very alive. She retrieved it to hand out of a grass clump 150 meters from where we started trailing it.

These were two birds that we worked very hard for, while reminding me that I need to trust my dog. She has not let me down yet, I look forward to more memories and with this great dog.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:52 PM

Here are a few more pics from our adventures....

The first picture is one of my all time favorites, Izzy and Babe. Izzy is no doubt my heart dog. She taught me more more about dogs, life, and training that I would have ever imagined.

The next hunt, was with led by Izzy as she mentored Babe and Dooley. We produced two birds on this day in 3 hours of hunting.

Then, Norm, a Dooley pup, unloading after a training session. He was 10 weeks that day and was retrieving pidgeons to hand and loving it.

After each outing I kneel down give each dog a good scratch behind the ears to thank them for their unwavering loyalty and courage as they hunt their hearts out. I don't know how how I will ever pay them back other than by not forgetting their hunts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0119.jpg (119.0 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0106.jpg (35.2 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2645.jpg (65.9 KB, 155 views)
Old 04-03-2012, 09:31 AM

Great thread guys, you all have beautiful dogs. My daughter and wife had a ball looking through all the pictures.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:05 AM

Nice Pics Guys!

Lethal Prostaff Member
Canadian Waterfowl Prostaff Member
Sillosock Prostaff Member
Pure Gold Chokes Prostaff Member
Lynch Mob Calls Prostaff Member
Wolverine Guns and Tackle
Old 04-04-2012, 01:09 PM

Default Tired dogs in Dec 2012

A couple of tired white pointers after 4 days of hard hunting and saved the best for the last day 2012.....puphood1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC0729_edited-3.jpg (54.7 KB, 178 views)
Old 08-18-2012, 08:44 PM

Nothing has been posted for awhile and we are getting close, (atleast in Sask).
Can't wait to get Rooster out and reward him for his hard work so far. Here he is last week looking like a pro on a pheasant.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:21 PM

one of the greatest threads ever

Tick tock

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:44 PM

Great looking dogs guys. I am new to the province, and I am looking to meet fellow hunters and sporting dog enthusiasts alike. If anyone wants a hunting partner, I am game. Name's Dan, and I live in the Edmonton area.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:47 PM

Wow, this thread is 5 months old already, it feels like yesterday.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:48 PM

Nice Pic Fry. Good form Old chap. is he holding for the flush?
Here is one of Gypsy last season, opening weekend for Grouse. Limit in 10 min. First time for the Father in law to hunt over a dog.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:56 PM

Louie gettin' er done!

Louie and my son , with his Chance and sons Muzzle loader.

Cat
Old 08-18-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
Well, I am a way off from posting any hunting pics with my dog, but I am still pretty happy with him. His name is Tug, and he is 12 weeks now. Come fall, we will have our share of pics.

No, he is not allowed on the furniture, but he decided to jump up one day last week and wifey decided it made for a nice pic.

Beautiful dog there
Old 08-18-2012, 11:44 PM
Banned

2010.jpg
Old 08-19-2012, 06:25 AM

Default Coming soon to a field near you!

This is where I should have posted the photos of my pups very first experience with birds (already in another thread - apologies).

I had the "crew of 8" out last week on a small harnessed quail for some early exposure. "Birdy" little tikes and full of point! I and the other new homes will have to be patient - but things are looking promising so far! You might even run across one or two of these little guys/gals in your hunting travels soon.

Get those dogs workin' - and takes loads of pics! Can't wait for next year's thread. Have a great season All!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Day 43 - How's that for style.jpg (159.1 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg Day 43 - Now THAT's STYLE.jpg (144.1 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg Day 43 - Stretch point.jpg (150.8 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg Day 43 - Triple header.jpg (120.9 KB, 153 views)
Old 08-19-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshcat View Post
Here is one of Gypsy last season, opening weekend for Grouse. Limit in 10 min. First time for the Father in law to hunt over a dog.
Thanks, no he's still getting used to the birds. I probably screwed up because I had him on pheasants since he was a pup. So he got really good at tracking with birds that wouldn't hold very well that time of year. I was out of town for a bit so I left him with a pro trainer for a couple of weeks. He worked on fitness and got him into a bunch of sharptail, a luxury I didnt have. So he's getting first scent figured out and the differences between grouse, partridge and pheasants and when to track and when to point.
I have been working on getting him as bird crazy as possible while doing whoa yard work. I'm not concerned about it yet but next year we have to step up our game. I can't wait to see where he's at by the end of the year.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshcat View Post
What do you do for the rest of the day if you're done hunting in 10 min?

Here's my 2 yo Small Munsterlander, she'll run NAVHDA Utility Test in 2 weeks. more pics at my site www.munsterlander.ca

Old 08-19-2012, 09:40 AM

Default Nice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h&t View Post
What do you do for the rest of the day if you're done hunting in 10 min?

Here's my 2 yo Small Munsterlander, she'll run NAVHDA Utility Test in 2 weeks. more pics at my site www.munsterlander.ca

Gotta hate those days when you're done in 10 minutes!

Great pic h&t - NICE point - style's a bonus in my books, but it sure makes things more exciting. Pretty to watch a stylish pointing dog work. Cat: Louie's looking sharp, too!

Fry: Rooster will sort things out. My girl is crazed for pheasants - and, like we all know, they do run. She soon figured that out and gets cautious/slows down/stalks when she knows she's close and then locks up tight. With a season or two under his belt, he'll get it.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VizlsasRok View Post
Fry: Rooster will sort things out. My girl is crazed for pheasants - and, like we all know, they do run. She soon figured that out and gets cautious/slows down/stalks when she knows she's close and then locks up tight. With a season or two under his belt, he'll get it.
Thanks Dean, I'm sure it will all click in once he realizes that there is a reward for pointing and holding. As always getting into more birds will help too.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:31 PM

Great thread to bring back up... i'm going to have to pack my camara a lot more and my gun a lot less this year, you guys have got some great pictures on here.. allway love seeing pups from our litters doing so well.
riden, cat and Fry, keep us posted on how the pups are making out this year, if any of you guys are around Magrath this year you better look us up so we can go for a walk..
Jim...
Old 08-22-2012, 09:21 PM

This is Buckley, the newest member of our family and my new hunting partner! My first hunting dog, wish me luck.

DSC_0617.jpg
Old 08-22-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNewton View Post
This is Buckley, the newest member of our family and my new hunting partner! My first hunting dog, wish me luck.

Attachment 57538
'Nother fine looking pup!
Cat
Old 08-22-2012, 09:27 PM

Good luck Bob! The last dog I had was a GSP. She was awesome. Miss her more than the girl that got her in the split.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:37 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
Let's see what i can dig up.

Heres one from last Fall I named " Road Hunters"

Now that would make a great poster!! I absolutely love it!