Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-14-2013, 12:54 PM

Default Stiller Tac 300?

I am currently in the process of having a custom medium weight hunting rifle built chambered in 280AI. My smith has just suggested that I look at the Stiller Tac 300 action. I was set on the Defiance action but am now considering the Stiller.

Just looking for some feedback on the Stiller. It seems the Tac 300 might be better suited towards a heavier bench/long range rifle. Anyone currently running a Stiller on a hunting setup?
Old 05-14-2013, 02:09 PM
Precisionshooter

The Defiance actions are tighter actions then the Stiller Tac or Predator. Glen at Defiance is now offering integral rail and lug actions (finally).

For the 280ai (not in single shot configuration) you might consider the predator as you can use an extended mag box or go with the regular mag box. With longer bullets like the 180gr vld and 190gr matrix seated in the ideal position you may find you are running out of mag clearance.

I carry both models and for that reason would go with Predator. The new actions are also one piece bolts (handle and bolt body machined from a solid piece of steel - no welding or silver solder).
Old 05-15-2013, 09:10 AM

Thanks for the info Precisionshooter, that's very helpful. I plan on loading 140gr Accubonds or possibly 139gr GMX. Would you still recommend the Predator over the Defiance for this setup?
Old 05-16-2013, 04:36 PM

I had a Stiller and plan on owning more. Had a 6.5x47L built by Remple on one, and Henry stated that after he measured and mic'd everything all he needed to do was thread and chamber my Krieger and make sure he screwed it on right. It has shot very well and is a top notch action.

That said, I am sure Defiance is good as well.