Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-06-2008, 09:06 PM

Default Wanted 338 silver brass

looking for some nickle platted brass in 338 mag,whole sale is out of it ,does anyone know who has some in stock ?Edmonton

Last edited by -JR-; 09-07-2008 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:47 PM

I have a bunch of once fired Winchester brass that I am probably not going to use.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:36 PM

Is it nickle plated or is it just brass
Old 09-08-2008, 11:27 PM

Sorry, I didn't make it clear. It is nickleplated from Winchester Supreme ammo.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:35 AM

its the best, I've got 10 - 12 reloads before rejections using 70grains of IMR 4350 with 180g Ballistic tips - good long range load
Old 09-09-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
looking for some nickle platted brass in 338 mag,whole sale is out of it ,does anyone know who has some in stock ?Edmonton
what are the nickel plated shells worth? might know someone that has nickelplated shells in 338!
Old 09-10-2008, 01:36 AM

Ive got a cpl hundred in brass
Old 12-20-2008, 03:08 AM

Give up JR- no one has it anymore and I checked down south too. Take some in and see what they charge you to plate it locally ?? They can throw it in with a batch of other stuff and then you get it done for free ?? Try Edmonton Hard Chrome or whoever else does that electroless nickel. Sell that 7 and then no need to worry anymore. Wanna buy a nice .22-250 ?? Trade for that TRIKE ?? It's flippin right on man !! Going fishing ?? i know someone that hammered some real nice perch at a lake pretty close to home. Ice is pretty close to safe and ready to drive on too. Sleds and quads going just about everywhere last weekend. He's going to enter them perch too and likely will win big time. nearly 2 lbs if you can believe it !! Another gun show coming up after x-mas and see if my stuff will sell there. Calgary coming up too and maybe go there too for a good time ? Bike show there too and see the deals on quads perhaps ??
CU later.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:36 AM

What's the diff between the straight-up brass and the nickel plated? is there a performance increase or something?
Old 12-20-2008, 09:53 AM

I might have a box of factory loaded 200gr ballistic tips in nickel cases if you're interested.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:48 PM

I see some custom shops in USA have .338 plated brass for close to $60/100-WOW has that price ever gone up high !!!!!!!!

Only a few main advantages to nickel-it just does'nt corrode when wet/dry like brass will. And it looks different and for safety reasons if you have two calibers in your truck and grab the wrong gun .....the shiny nickel tells you what you have in your hand and this alone could save your life. Some guys say they don't like the nickel plate as it's a heck of allot harder case on the inside/outside and in the primer pocket too and they say it could wreck or damage chamber or what ever. Some say it chips off during resizing and I don't ever remember seeing that in my dies. I doubt it in any regard and why would they have made it for so many years ???? Most gun chambers are alloy steel or 17-4 pH or 416SS and I don't think it will hurt anything. May help the brass last longer after repeated firing/reloads as the plating is very corrosion resistant. Will not corrode under normal conditions and that is a fact. Brass turns green when you get it wet and dry and those oxides like that could likely wreak havoc in your chamber eventually so that's again another good reason to use plated brass I guess. (Silver bullets !!! )

Why we can't get it anymore is a question that someone should answer ......... maybe not much demand and thus why sell it !!! I miss it though !! Used to be very available a few years ago in most calibers from a few of the OEM's that make ammunition/reloading components. Now nothing in the stores and we've looked hard in many places. Would cost them a bit more to make it and that's for sure but generally did not cost that much more. But price of nickel really went up last few years and that may have made it too expensive too and no one would pay the added price ??? I doubt that too since the plated thickness is likely only a few thousanths and that would not cost much. If you have the answer let us know !!! Call Federal or Remington and find out !!!

A few guys here are talking about it too:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbu...ad.php?t=19645
Old 12-21-2008, 09:06 PM

More talk here and even more hits if one looks :

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/p...870420&trail=8