Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseelk View Post
You already have a good job,any chance you could hire me?LOL
I'm no longer in a position that does hiring, back out in the field. Always looking though lol.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:12 PM

No good can come from these discussions here.

Being behind a keyboard people tend to make thier inside voice an outside voice more often.

I've got strong feelings on the topic myself.

Until laws change or are modified, there will continue to be conflict with natives vs. non-natives. Don't see that being resolved in my generation.

So, rather than get heartburn over issues that are likely never to go away, I find it better on my health to just avoid these threads.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
No good can come from these discussions here.

Being behind a keyboard people tend to make thier inside voice an outside voice more often.

I've got strong feelings on the topic myself.

Until laws change or are modified, there will continue to be conflict with natives vs. non-natives. Don't see that being resolved in my generation.

So, rather than get heartburn over issues that are likely never to go away, I find it better on my health to just avoid these threads.
X2....I offered a compliment in another thread and was labelled as a "flamer" ...not that kind of flamer....

LC
Old 10-16-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
X2....I offered a compliment in another thread and was labelled as a "flamer" ...not that kind of flamer....

LC
Careful! Oki might get the wrong idea!
Old 10-16-2013, 12:30 PM

Lol!!
Old 10-16-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
I'm no longer in a position that does hiring, back out in the field. Always looking though lol.
I was just kidding.Iam retired and have no time for work.I have dedicated the few years I have left to hunting and fishing.LOL
Old 10-16-2013, 02:35 PM

Just curious... Can a treaty Indian hunt with a rifle in a area that let's say is only archery in October but rifle in November ? Could he use a rifle in October ?
Old 10-16-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRangebugler View Post
Just curious... Can a treaty Indian hunt with a rifle in a area that let's say is only archery in October but rifle in November ? Could he use a rifle in October ?
Sure can....can use a rifle anytime.

Actually a funny story....I was out hunting with my bow in early September near Whitecourt one trip years ago when I came up on a guy on a quad with a rifle...

We were chit chatting a bit and he said, bit of a role reversal hey...I said how so?

He said, "white skin man with a bow and red skin man with a rifle..." we had a chuckle and went about our business.

LC
Old 10-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Banned

Quote:

Actually a funny story....I was out hunting with my bow in early September near Whitecourt one trip years ago when I came up on a guy on a quad with a rifle...

We were chit chatting a bit and he said, bit of a role reversal hey...I said how so?

He said, "white skin man with a bow and red skin man with a rifle..." we had a chuckle and went about our business.

LC
Haha....speaking of role reversal,nuther funny story:
Just last week at work I'm chatn with bthis native co-worker and hunting came up,told him i got an elk cpl weeks ago,and he says "oh I love elk,they're the best,you should bring me a few steaks and I'll buy them from you."
so I'm thinking wTF??and said'that's gotta be a first,an Indian wants to buy meat from a white boy,lmao!!"
He just laffs and says,"yea buddy,I do all my hunting at Sobeys."
Old 10-16-2013, 06:01 PM

Dont wan to stir pot, but 2 questions I have and dont know where to find legal documentation on such:
1) Can a non native or non status indian accompany or assist natives on a hunt?
2) Can natives give meat to a non status individual?
Old 10-16-2013, 06:17 PM

Default Quick ?

Hey I have a buddy who is fully status, what extent could I participate in his hunt? Can I roll in the same vehicle and camp, help him retrieve game, and transport meat? can he use my equipment?

thanks all
Old 10-16-2013, 06:52 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammer1 View Post
Hey I have a buddy who is fully status, what extent could I participate in his hunt? Can I roll in the same vehicle and camp, help him retrieve game, and transport meat? can he use my equipment?

thanks all
....and here we go, was a civil discussion for awhile......
Old 10-16-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
Dont wan to stir pot, but 2 questions I have and dont know where to find legal documentation on such:
1) Can a non native or non status indian accompany or assist natives on a hunt?
To the best of my knowledge, no.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:

thanks all
You have to be kidding me...
Old 10-16-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:

LC
Had the same thing happen to us this fall. We arrived at the head of the trail early one morning, putting our packs on and had our long bows leaning against the truck. Two gents from the local reserve roll up and laugh at the long bows and said, "do you really expect to kill an Elk with those things", they were in a side by side with their rifles.......I shot a nice 6x6 and when we rolled out of camp their meat pole was still empty.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:23 PM
Banned

Quote:

thanks all
Sure you can....if you marry him,lol.
Other then that no,you cannot accompany nor assist in retreival etc,but i supose yes he can borrow your equipment....you just cant come along.

Cant be opening that can'o worms....if it were allowed,every Tom,Rick and Harry would have a BFF Status buddy that they are "just helping retreive his moose".......yea right.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
I have been reading the other native reserve thread and some one stated that status natives can hunt anytime any where. My wife is a full status indian from the Queen Charelette islands and hunts. She has a wildlife certificate and buys tags. Is it true that she doesn't need a wildlife certificate and tags to hunt crown land? I always thought that natives could only hunt reserves anytime and crown land during the hunting season. Maybe I am confused with metis indians.
Tell your wife to read this, http://srd.alberta.ca/FishWildlife/F...ns-Jul2009.pdf
I wish more people would read this, if they are so concerned about native hunting rights
Old 10-16-2013, 08:42 PM

Apperently from what I read there's a lot of bashing when certain threads are opened on this forum...I can't say I've seen any White guy responses.....just saying.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:43 PM

Stir
Old 10-16-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
Sure you can....if you marry him,lol.
Other then that no,you cannot accompany nor assist in retreival etc,but i supose yes he can borrow your equipment....you just cant come along.

Cant be opening that can'o worms....if it were allowed,every Tom,Rick and Harry would have a BFF Status buddy that they are "just helping retreive his moose".......yea right.
Sorry but you are miss informed .
I am a status Indian, and have had my non status friends come hunting with me, them with there own tags. And have been stopped bye F&W with no problems, just couple of questions. and on are way.
I have also gone along with my buddy on his draw, and helped him pack his meat out.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:55 PM

It's news to me that a non native can't hunt with a status Indian. I've been doing it my whole life, fish n wildlife never said a thing and there are a few time a year we run into them. They check tags and stuff from my friends and I show them my status card. So not sure where you guys are getting that from? I know in sask you can't though.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rielbowhunter View Post
Sorry but you are miss informed .
I am a status Indian, and have had my non status friends come hunting with me, them with there own tags. And have been stopped bye F&W with no problems, just couple of questions. and on are way.
I have also gone along with my buddy on his draw, and helped him pack his meat out.
Not positive, but I think he might have meant if the white guy had no tags or license maybe? In that case there would be some hot water I think.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draxx11 View Post
I for one usually stay away from these threads as well. It will always be an issue. Never fails around this time of year the same threads go up about the same bull**** and no, I'm not referring to the OP. As for his question it has been answered in last few posts.

Yes I am treaty and I do exercise my rights. I'm not ashamed of it either. It still shocks me that this day and age this crap still goes on that people need to bash aboriginal people. Yah it does go both ways but more times then not it's going towards my people. Somebody puts up a poaching thread and automatically "must be a native" I do know natives that poach, would I ever do it? Of course not, I enjoy the actual hunt just as much if not more then the animal taken. I also know a lot more non-aborignal people that do in fact poach. It would be funny if you knew how many people wanted me to take an animal the taxidermist for them, or bring me along in case we see a moose..

My father isn't into hunting and I was taken under the wing of my friends family when it came to hunting. They are a Caucasian family and growing up hunting with these fine folks, having great trips hunting and learning the ropes brought me up in a different light of this topic. Joining this site a few years ago really opened up my eyes as to how many people dislike aboriginal hunting. I couldn't believe it.

Funny thing, I was down elk hunting south of suffield base a month ago and I got permission to hunt on a farmers land. He gladly gave me permission even knowing my background, really nice folks down that way may I add. I was successful in harvesting an elk. When he showed up to see what I got he told me I should have taken 2 or 3. I laughed and said "you don't hear that everyday." Then told him 1 is sufficient for me. There isn't really a point to this story, just wanted to share how different some peoples views are on the whole topic.

Anyway that's enough rambling for now.
Great post, you should never be ashamed of your heritage, exercise your rights to hunt and do so without any concern for those who sneer, the world is full of those who are just plain ignorant, intolerant. Thank you for sharing this story, it's important we all support your unique status. It is what it is, it's not going to change, nor should it. Your right to hunt and fish were enshrined by our forefathers both yours and mine. I don't have any problems with that at all.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapper View Post
Great post, you should never be ashamed of your heritage, exercise your rights to hunt and do so without any concern for those who sneer, the world is full of those who are just plain ignorant, intolerant. Thank you for sharing this story, it's important we all support your unique status. It is what it is, it's not going to change, nor should it. Your right to hunt and fish were enshrined by our forefathers both yours and mine. I don't have any problems with that at all.

I agree totally!
Old 10-16-2013, 10:03 PM

3x that!
Dude you are living the same life as me, LOL. I have had the exact same experience's ,
Cheer's
Old 10-16-2013, 10:05 PM

Default Quick ?

thanks all
Old 10-16-2013, 10:14 PM
Banned

Quote:

thanks all
Yup
Old 10-16-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:

LC
When I was younger I would wear moccasins all the time and my Indian buddy's were wearing cowboy boots. It was always good for a laugh when we ran into each other.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:30 PM

One of my buddies likes the redskins and I favor the cowboys
Old 10-16-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Is that all you got?
Please. You are a moderator.
Closed Thread