Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-21-2016, 07:31 PM

Default Ice Shacks on Slave Lake

I just wanted to reach out to those that have rented the cabin/shack on slave to get your opinion. I am from Grande Prairie, so want to hit the west side either north or south of the lake. From what I have been able to find so far there is South Shore, Larsen's and Reel Time Ventures. I've heard the bite has been good on the North side at the Cutbank where Reel Time Ventures is. Not sure about the fishing at Jousard where Larsen's and South Shore shacks are.

If anyone has experienced any of them please drop me a line, as I want to book one...talked the wife into going and staying over night in one, so I want to try and get the best area so she can catch lots of fish!

Thanks for any info,
Old 01-21-2016, 08:39 PM

I'm going to be staying at reel time over night cabin the last week of jan. Once I get back I can let you know how it is.

Cheers, mike
Old 01-21-2016, 09:53 PM

Default Shacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike780 View Post
I'm going to be staying at reel time over night cabin the last week of jan. Once I get back I can let you know how it is.

Cheers, mike

Thanks Mike...You bugger, that's the weekend I wanted to go but it's booked by you

Have fun out there...look forward to hearing how you make out.

Ken
Old 01-21-2016, 10:37 PM

We're here now and the bite is on. 3 burb 16 walleye and 15 jack. Walleye are anywhere from 17 to 23 inch. Come on out. Careful with the drifted snow, been windy here the last couple days. Add another walleye to that total as I type.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:39 PM

As for the rentals. They both have good cabins. South shore does provide a toilet of sorts.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:41 PM

For clarification. We are set up in joussard at the shack village.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:28 AM

Default Shack Village

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEHR View Post
For clarification. We are set up in joussard at the shack village.
Sounds like fun...are you in your own shack or which company did you rent from? Not sure if there are only two companies renting over there or more?
Old 01-22-2016, 10:22 PM

We are in our own shack. Things are a little slow tonight but I'm sure it will change. Sorry for the late post.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:23 PM

We are beside south shore shacks and 500 yards from Larsen shacks.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:46 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEHR View Post
We are beside south shore shacks and 500 yards from Larsen shacks.
Nice having your own shack I bet...I'm sure things will pick up. Thanks for your reply.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:26 AM

How much ice is up that way? Also wondering what's been working for u up there? Heading out that way this coming week. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:52 AM

We're using every colour jig head you can think of with a minnow. Ice is at the 24 inch Mark. Good luck.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:33 PM

The guys in the cabins this weekend have caught burbot, walleye, and pike so far so are doing pretty well.

Like BEHR said, a good 20 + inches of ice. But after the storm that blew through last night the accesses might need some work - I know I was plowing through drifts at 10:30 last night on the way off the lake.

Hopefully lots of guys go out and pack down the roads again......

Old 01-23-2016, 08:31 PM

Was out today and came home with 11 fish... Guess I'm cooking some up for the guys at work, 6 whites, 2 eyes, 2 burbs, and a pike.

21 feet of water and fished the same 2 holes all day.
South east end of the lake.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcward View Post
I just wanted to reach out to those that have rented the cabin/shack on slave to get your opinion. I am from Grande Prairie, so want to hit the west side either north or south of the lake. From what I have been able to find so far there is South Shore, Larsen's and Reel Time Ventures. I've heard the bite has been good on the North side at the Cutbank where Reel Time Ventures is. Not sure about the fishing at Jousard where Larsen's and South Shore shacks are.

If anyone has experienced any of them please drop me a line, as I want to book one...talked the wife into going and staying over night in one, so I want to try and get the best area so she can catch lots of fish!

Thanks for any info,
We rented from Roadrunner Cabins at Joussard 75/day. Six holes and wood heat. Nice people and you can get a nice cabin for 100/day. Satelite tv etc. 776-2203. Pat
Old 01-24-2016, 09:00 AM

Might be a little hard to find anything not booked now.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:22 AM

yeah we booked in february but couldnt book any weekends as they were all booked up
Old 02-01-2016, 09:45 AM

Thumbs down Larsens

Quote:

Thanks for any info,
Spent Thursday to Sunday in two Larsen's shacks, shacks were ok, but the crap we had to go through just BS.

Had negotiated a price with the owner, once we arrived the price was different by $ 50.00 per shack per night than we agreed on. Paid the higher price which was to include wood delivered to the shacks, never happened, we had to go to shore on two occasions to get wood, the six of us spend good money to fish not work for the shack owner. We were told there was a outhouse NOT.

I think if you are going to provide a service or operate a business you should at least make an attempt to do your best.

Rating out of 5 Stars

I will never go to them again.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retten View Post
Spent Thursday to Sunday in two Larsen's shacks, shacks were ok, but the crap we had to go through just BS.

Had negotiated a price with the owner, once we arrived the price was different by $ 50.00 per shack per night than we agreed on. Paid the higher price which was to include wood delivered to the shacks, never happened, we had to go to shore on two occasions to get wood, the six of us spend good money to fish not work for the shack owner. We were told there was a outhouse NOT.

I think if you are going to provide a service or operate a business you should at least make an attempt to do your best.

Rating out of 5 Stars

I will never go to them again.
We used Roadrunner and it was good. Just basic but lots of wood and cleaned out etc. 776-2203
Old 02-01-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory1 View Post
Was out today and came home with 11 fish... Guess I'm cooking some up for the guys at work, 6 whites, 2 eyes, 2 burbs, and a pike.

Any pics of the whites?
I have only ever caught one white in slave (never targeted them though) and it was wormy but I have caught a pile of tuibee which look very similar to a white but pretty oily and fishey I have heard....halibut really like them lol.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:18 AM

I have stopped using a lardons as well because of what you encountered. Looking for a good rental place still.

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 02-01-2016, 11:30 AM

uh oh, we rented with larsens, bring lots of wood, a bucket and extra money??
Old 02-01-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory1 View Post

Sounds like you are having a great time up there

Fishing sucks down here but you already know that
Old 02-01-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Sounds like you are having a great time up there

Fishing sucks down here but you already know that
What are you still doing down here then buddy?
Old 02-01-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGreenstein View Post
What are you still doing down here then buddy?
Business

If I could live up North for the fishing, I would be there already
Old 02-01-2016, 04:01 PM

Default Reel time

Myself and a friend spent from the 27th to 29th at the overnight shack out on cutbank. Had an amazing time the fishing was great. Check out Reel time shacks very nice shack cozy and comfortable.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equad4 View Post
Myself and a friend spent from the 27th to 29th at the overnight shack out on cutbank. Had an amazing time the fishing was great. Check out Reel time shacks very nice shack cozy and comfortable.
That's where we are headed at the end of the month...glad to hear they are bitting. Did you have a camera ....must be fairly clear and reasonable visability
Old 02-01-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
That's where we are headed at the end of the month...glad to hear they are bitting. Did you have a camera ....must be fairly clear and reasonable visability
We had a camera when we were up there (Jan 19-24) and we couldn't see much with our camera. What we did see, was a lot of murky water...

But on the other had, we caught loads of walleye, and several Burbot! So I didn't care about the camera.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:04 PM

Default Reel time

No camera and we caught all kinds of walleye pike burbot. Pike were all small maybe a couple keepers. Went home with couple nice Wally's and a couple nice burbs. Them burbs are awesome. Check out Reel time if your lookin for a shack.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:16 PM

How is the ice at Joussard up there next thurs - sun. Fishing usually solid..